Judd Apatow and the death of comedy

Ormion

There's a new douche in town and is called Judd Apatow.

It's the guy who directed/written/produced the new trend of american comedies like The 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Superbad, Forgetting Sharah Marshall, Funny People etc.

Comedies about endless lame dick jokes, unfunny lines, boring scripts and the usual cast of THE worst comedians(?) ever.

I mean Seth Rogen , Jonah Hill , Bill Hader. I mean seriously who laughs with these guys?

I watched yesterday Funny People and it was one fo the biggest craps I've ever watched! Boring, tiresome and absolutely unfunny!

The worst thing is that the Apatow movies are all financially and critically successful. One proof that critics are idiots.

The only movies he's been involved into that were funny are Anchorman and Zohan which were stupid, but at least funny.

Thank God thousands more of ppl out there feel the same with me, so there's hope.

I'm not saying they're pinnacles of clever script writing, but I find them funny. I appreciate mindless entertainment as much as intelligent entertainment.

"Funny People" wasn't all that great though. I don't even remember much about it.

I'm not saying they're pinnacles of clever script writing, but I find them funny. I appreciate mindless entertainment as much as intelligent entertainment.

"Funny People" wasn't all that great though. I don't even remember much about it.

I appreciate mindless entertainment more than anyone I know. I've never cared about serious or unserious comedy. For me it's just about the laughs. But I've never laughed with any Apatow film except Anchorman and Zohan.

I agree with the OP on this, now that I've seen Superbad on cable I can't understand why it was so popular.

But then, never overstimate the audience, Judd Apatow makes what the masses want to see.

He is the current studio darling.

Nah, c`mon Judd Apatow movies are a fun thing to watch. I laughed my ass off to Superbad and this one movie with Katherine Heigl, where she got pregnant and stuff. Though I havent watched the rest of his movies.

But I ahve to admit that Forgetting Sarah Marshall wasnt thaaaat funny. It had some good laughs. but Superbad for example was much better.

• 1 month later...

Don't lump You Don't Mess With The Zohan in with Apatow. That wasn't his piece of shit.

As for Funny People, it would have been a lot better without Adam Sandler. An older comic like Steve Martin would have been a good choice.

"Anchorman" is definitely one of my all-time favorite comedies - both Will Ferrell and Steve Carell are outrageously funny in that one, and the movie is just one long series of classic one-liners and quotes.

"Superbad", "Step Brothers", "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story" and "Pineapple Express" weren't that bad either, but yeah - Judd Apatow has also made some truly horrible comedies over the years, such as (for instance) "You Don't Mess with the Zohan". Didn't think "Funny People" was THAT bad though. Went on for too long, but had some good laughs and both Seth Rogen and Adam Sandler showed some slightly different roles than they're used to.

You all really need to stop bringing "You Don't Mess with the Zohan" into this. While Apatow worked on the first draft of this in 2000, he then left and the project was stalled. When it came back into action years later and underwent rewrites, Apatow had noting to do with it. He didn't direct. Didn't produce. Didn't write what you saw. It is not an Apatow movie. It is a shitty Adam Sandler movie.

• 1 month later...