Best soundtrack ever?

Ormion

Agreed. Not 'by far', but it is my favorite as well. For its great mood and variation and because it fits the movie so well. Favorite tracks: memories of green, rachel's song (not in movie), blade runner end titles, but the rest is good too.

Also check out the 'Blade Runner trilogy', it's quite nice (disc 1 : original blade runner album, disc 2: previously unreleased blade runner(esque) music, disc 3: new stuff that is not so good).

Here's a piece from it that I posted:

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?/topic/56382-old-vangelis-track/

Donkey Kong Country + sequels (Super NES) :Dhttp://www.zshare.net/audio/66448178c99ae476/

ok, seriously: Ennio Morricone soundtracks are the best ones for sure.

Dollars Trilogy, Once Upon A Time In The West, etc.

a class of its own. The movies in general are outstanding too of course.

The Mission, score by Ennio Morricone. His music for C'era una volta il west doesn't fall far behind either.

The Godfather, score by Nino Rota

The Day The Earth Stood Still, and its fabulous theme, by the unbeatable Bernard Herrman. Other favorites of his are Taxi Driver and Psycho.

Pulp Fiction, not an original score per se, but overall it is an fantastic listen through and through.

I remember how Apocalypse Now was a hit and miss soundtrack, but some segments and compositions were so futuristic and far reaching, a really thought provoking blend of classic instruments and back then advanced electronics.

I made a soundtrack mix once (74 min, 89 MB). If I can get arsed to type its track listing, that'll sum up many of my favourites. It has quite a lot of the usual swords & sandals epic stuff - Zimmer, Poledouris, Horner, Morricone etc. A half-serious collector might spot a good part of it even without a list.

The Man From Earth, The Fountain, Blade Runner, Twin Peaks etc.

I don't know about the "best" because the term "best" in these situations seems very arbitrary to me.

But The Fountain is definitely my favorite soundtrack at the moment. Blade Runner soundtrack is great too.

I made a soundtrack mix once (74 min, 89 MB). If I can get arsed to type its track listing, that'll sum up many of my favourites. It has quite a lot of the usual swords & sandals epic stuff - Zimmer, Poledouris, Horner, Morricone etc. A half-serious collector might spot a good part of it even without a list.

Thanks, this sounds nice ;)

First for me would be Peter Gabriel's Passion, soundtrack to The Last Temptation of Christ. Desert island material for me. The album is on YouTube

The Blade Runner soundtrack is great. Other 70s/80s sci-fi scores like Star Wars (

is especially awesome), Close Encounters, Tron and The Black Hole (movie here - one of my all-time faves, and the opening theme is wicked) are great to me because I was young and they permanently attached themselves to me.

I also really like the Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack, as well as Bernard Herrmann's music for Ray Harryhausen's films, like Jason and the Argonauts.

First for me would be Peter Gabriel's Passion, soundtrack to The Last Temptation of Christ. Desert island material for me. The album is on YouTube

The Blade Runner soundtrack is great. Other 70s/80s sci-fi scores like Star Wars (

is especially awesome), Close Encounters, Tron and The Black Hole (movie here - one of my all-time faves, and the opening theme is wicked) are great to me because I was young and they permanently attached themselves to me.

I also really like the Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack, as well as Bernard Herrmann's music for Ray Harryhausen's films, like Jason and the Argonauts.

+2 for these two

+1 for the fountain :D

A great classic movie theme is from some old movie I never watched called 'Dangerous Moonlight'(1941).

It's quite famous, called the 'Warsaw Concerto':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H8V4Fzrcr0&fmt=18

The story behind it is that Rachmaninov didn't want his music to be used in the movie so another composer made something that is similar to his piano concertos (and easier to listen to).