Akiras Fractals

akira

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Discovered a couple of buttons I'd completely ignored, which give me more control over different colour segregation (thank buddha this doesnt exist in the real world). I'm not entirely happy with this design but I think it shows some progress towards the kind of stuff I want to be putting out there.

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

Awww thanks abasio. You can download the software from the deviantart web page, or the 'official' link is http://www.chaospro.de/download.php

I've been using version 3.3 but the latest version is 4.0

Once you've downloaded it, I would recommend updating it immediately, to include all the latest Ultrafractal formulas which are compatible with this.

To update it, after you've installed the software click on the 'update formulas' tab on the right hand side of the screen and select 'complete database' - I do this about every 3 months.

If you have any problems with the software let me know, I'm by no means an expert, and I imagine you'll be able to figure it out, but if it's too confusing I can get you started. Good luck and thanks for the feedback! I'm looking forward to seeing some of your creations.

I'm assuming there aren't any changes in screen layout from version 3.3 --> 4.

I'm also assuming you updated the formula database, so it's at least similar to mine.

Set formula first - Under the 'Parameters' tab (on the right hand side of the screen), click 'formula' then click on the expand window box next to the formula name to bring up a drop down list

say for example, select the 'Ultrafractal' tab, then the 'tma.cfm folder', then select the 'Dragon Atom 02 Julia' formula. This will change the picture on your screen obviously. From there you can left double click on the picture to zoom in, right double click to zoom out. Scroll left/right/up/down by clicking and dragging on the picture. Left click on the centre of one of the spirals 3/4 times to zoom in.

Unzoomed it should look like

Posted Image

After you've zoomed into a spiral, then change the layer - Start by messing around with the outside layers. Click the 'Outside' tab, click on the expand window box again, select 'Ultra Fractal' folder then select the 'ldm.ccl' folder, then the 'Thingamajigs' layer. This will add the layer to the picture on your screen.

You should have something that looks like

Posted Image

From here it's limitless what you can do to change the picture. Change the mapping, trap, colouring, texture, all these options will change the way your fractal looks. Especially play with the 'functions' drop down menus on the 'formula' and outside/inside layer windows. Change the initial function, the real function, trap modes etc and see what effects they have on your picture.

Don't like the colours? Click on the little box at the top of the screen with the different colour squares in it and select a new colour set. Want to alter this further? Click on the 'Fractalwindows' tab at the top of the screen, then click 'palette editor' and you can customize it to whatever colours you want. If you want to simplify or make the colour scheme more complex, change the 'speed' and 'acceleration' settings under your 'layer' tab.

Thats just a basic example to get you started. Obviously when you're used to it you can add more layers (inside and outside).

If I take our example above, change the mapping to arctan, change the initial function to acoth, the real function to sqr, the image function to sqrt. It will then look like

Posted Image

Change the trap mode to O and the flavour to E and you get

Posted Image

So you're starting to get something you can use, and if you play around with additional options it's really not hard to create something that looks ok. Of course there are other more complex ways to use this software, but I'm a newbie myself so I'm happy creating this kind of art for now, until I have the time and energy to delve deeper into it.

I hope that all makes sense, it should be enough to get you started. If you need any more help just let me know.

Meander - Named after the Vibrasphere track, which I was listening to at the time of its conception. Nothing amazingly original but after spending 6 frustrating hours on a mandala design and throwing it in for sleep I'm happy I finished up with something to show.

Posted Image

Full size/widescreen wallpaper available (now I've worked out how to do them properly) @ http://neilpope.deviantart.com/

Knock on the sky and listen to the sound

Posted Image

I don't like the edges around this, I mean the corners. If I was any good with photoshop I'd put something else around there.

Mandala type designs are a bit of a bastard to do in Chaospro. I can knock out a good spiral/circular design in about 30 mintues but these can take 3/4 hours, I've worked on one for a solid half a day before.

Oh and I just realise how similar this looks to the one I did before. Fail.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the fractals you make look best when observable fractal level is low, that is when repetition isn't too "small". In the picture above for example, the smaller patterns look like distortion or something. Others look cool though.