Making A Free Promo Cd?

Psychocell

Hi everyone.. :rolleyes:

Ive been asked to make a promo mix for a club, showing the track listing....

All the tracks that i would use will be released already..

This promo cd would clearly state that it isnt for sale too.

NOW is this legal or not?

:unsure:

Well now that you've posted on a public forum about your plans, you better ask for some permission. :D

But yeah there's like a million DJ's spinning music without any license or permision whatsoever. But hey, at least the artist gets a little bit of promotion of his music, that can't hurt.

Let's get the facts right here.

Yes it is illegal to copy, broadcast and public perform other artists music without their written approval (Would end all Dj gigs tomorrow if anyone took this serious). BUT it is considered to be 100% ok to promote other artists music such as DJ’ing/free DJ mixes etc. And that is exactly what you are doing as as a Dj. If it was not considered ok no one (labels/artists) would send their promos to Dj's. The labels and artists actually need the promotion.

All you got to do is to make sure each track in your Mix is written on a playlist like this:

Artist - Track (incl. mix title) [label]

Promo CD

To make a Promo CD for a Club (If we talk about a CD they will use for promoting the Club?) is illegal no matter if it's a free CD or not. Unless you have the written permission to use all tracks. These permissions are obtained via the Labels who usually hold the copyrights.

No one would mind if you send a Club your Dj mix on a CD to promote yourself even though in theory it’s illegal too.

So if the promo cd is also/only promoting the promoter of the night is that illegal? :unsure:

Thanks for the advice so far B)

also/only:

"also" = not a problem I guess ... you're promoting your mix and you're throwing in a bit of club promotion aswell such as "this stuff I play there"

"only" = I'd say that's a problem ... a club releasing a CD with tracks without any permissions whatsoever doesn't sound very legal

also depends what kind of "promo" this is ... there are promos who are pressed and then distributed freely among hundreds of people like flyers, I'd not consider that legal if there's no permission for the tracks!

also/only:

"also" = not a problem I guess ... you're promoting your mix and you're throwing in a bit of club promotion aswell such as "this stuff I play there"

"only" = I'd say that's a problem ... a club releasing a CD with tracks without any permissions whatsoever doesn't sound very legal

also depends what kind of "promo" this is ... there are promos who are pressed and then distributed freely among hundreds of people like flyers, I'd not consider that legal if there's no permission for the tracks!

what i ment to say is, is it illegal if it promoting the club as well as the promoter of the night :unsure:

A DJ makes money by spinning someone else's music. Does he/she give a percentage of that earnings to the producer? hmmm ? That's the real question. So essentially a DJ is stealing...but nice guys like us call it promoting :P

A DJ becomes famous by showcasing someone else's music, however most credit should be given to the producer..but we live in a weird world. B)

Nope! Totally illegal. But so is DJing! (Unless of course you're spinning music from Ektoplazm.)

As long as you clearly mark the artist and track title as well as label of release I don't think anyone sane would have a problem with it.

I concur.

A DJ makes money by spinning someone else's music. Does he/she give a percentage of that earnings to the producer? hmmm ? That's the real question.

Well by buying the track you're supporting the artists. Most artists wouldn't sell more than few records if it wasn't DJs buying the track..

what i ment to say is, is it illegal if it promoting the club as well as the promoter of the night :unsure:

just label the tracks and labels (and ideally also the release you took a track from) right and don't press endless copies to flood the market and I'm sure it's okay...

it's basically just a DJ mix you're making, only not just for download, but already burned on a CD

there are DJ mixes out there that have way worse labeled tracklists and nobody's having anything against it

so I wouldn't worry :)

just label the tracks and labels (and ideally also the release you took a track from) right and don't press endless copies to flood the market and I'm sure it's okay...

it's basically just a DJ mix you're making, only not just for download, but already burned on a CD

there are DJ mixes out there that have way worse labeled tracklists and nobody's having anything against it

so I wouldn't worry :)

Hey Thanks!

:D