Who Would You Be...

qa2pir

I think this music has made deep impressions in many of us so I thought it might be interesting to hear how you think psytrance has changed you.

Also observations on how it affects your day-to-day well being are welcome.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely very different, more introvert. And also with a much less expanded consciousness. I also believe psytrance helped me improve my artistic skills.

I have certainty that listening to psytrance while studying helped me learning and pushing my thinking.

Without it, I think I would have missed all my exams, would be depressed, would know less interesting people, and would be working like a dull boy now.

Surely very different, more introvert. And also with a much less expanded consciousness. I also believe psytrance helped me improve my artistic skills.

I have certainty that listening to psytrance while studying helped me learning and pushing my thinking.

Without it, I think I would have missed all my exams, would be depressed, would know less interesting people, and would be working like a dull boy now.

we would still have offtopic though ;P

Yellow?

No, they’re too soft and neve really tastes jummy, I prefer the Hardangervidda apples, trust me, their really good!

I have no idea where I would be without psychedelic pie, but I think maybe I would have had more focus on ,,real2 life, that I would have gone further in the business world, wife and kids, car and dog. I defiantly know trance music would have been a point and haha thing, I guess Metal music would have been a much larger part of my musical life as when I hit pie in the face, I was enhancing my knowledge of that scene. Maybe like the old saying goes, an apple a day keeps the doctor away, ergo I would have been more stable and (excuse me for my lack of better term) ,,healthy". - My conciouness has always been expanded, so pie only enhanced this with special effects on. I know one thing though, and it took me some years of pie'ing before it kicked in. I would not have been spiritual curious without pie. Agnostic and humanist without the yalla spiritual confusing stuff that I'm not sure is so good when taken too far.

Pie just added some spice to my life i think, and to be honest, I wouldn't want to be without pie in my life. Even if I could have been more successful in A4-life without it, which I will never know. What I do regret though is my ability to have such a non-complacently nature (not sure of the term, but I never get around to do stuff I know I need and want). If I had only kept going on my music production when I was 16, If only I had jumped on the Dj practice thing when I fell in love with this pie-dunkadunk mosakk and etc etc and so many etc's, I could have been where ever and whatever I wanted to be, damn lack of complacently <_< hehe. Donno if pie is to blame for that though :P :: I just turned 29 years not long ago, and though I've experienced much so far and properlly lived more then many, I am not even near my visions of what I'd like to do. I'm falling behind, and prsonally, it sucks. Better pick it up UP!!

an apple, without pie I would have been a mixed colour apple, defo.

I guess Metal music would have been a much larger part of my musical life ..

was thinking about my life cources this morning and had to add to this post that Trip-Hop and beats would have taken a much more serious part of my music life. pie sort of kept me from diving into this because there was and is something about pie that attracts me much more even though my objective brain tells me its better. taste is taste non the less

smoke

Edited by psytones

I probably would be much further ahead in my career, but a much more boring individual.

I used to be very aggressively and egotistically competitve, and without psy and much more so the accompanying drugs I probably would have finished university at age 21 with an A average and be some kind of CEO right now.

Through Psy I discovered weed, and with weed the ambition and the competiveness went away, and now I am actually nice and laid back even though i dont even smoke much anymore.

So anyways, psy (and drugs) delayed the start of my career by like 6 or 7 years and made less egocentric, more nice and more interesting. So it was a good thing that I ran into this guy from Israel in a record store in 1995 who asked me "Hey, do you know Goa Trance, check out this record here!" Come to think about it, even though I met this guy once for 10 minutes, he probably affected me life morethan others who were good friends for years :)

Without psytrance I would have a gaping, psytrance-shaped void in my life. No idea what I'd try to fill it with, but it would probably suck.

Hahahaha :D

If I didn't have psytrance in my life I would probably have forced myself to become quite a bit more normal by now.

If I didn't have psytrance in my life I would probably have forced myself to become quite a bit more normal by now.

I don't think it's possible to force oneself to become more normal. One can only force oneself to pretend to be more normal.

What a hard question. Obiously one that is not possible to give an adequate answer to, but I will try to say some things that should at least inductively be true and reliable in some sense.

I believe that psychedelic music, in the combination with hallucinogenic compunds has made me "wake up" in the sense that I've managed to distance myself from society. And haveing been able to look at it from an outer point of view. Ambient psychedelic music has given me comfort, relaxation and has been a sort of sanctuary during hard times. Uplifting and rewarding in better times. I cannot see myself living without pie, I'm bonded with it in a symbiotic relationship. It's as to say "food for the mind" and I believe that I would fall into ignorance and arrogance without the constant stream of past and new music endavours channeling through me.

enough babbling...basch!

I don't think it's possible to force oneself to become more normal. One can only force oneself to pretend to be more normal.

Fake it 'til you make it, kinda. Wouldn't have been so sheltered and, in a way, escapistic as I am now.

It's not very hard for me.

Goatrance is one of the major pillars that support my life. I'm not even kidding. Quite sad really, but that's how it is.

So, to the question, I'm answering with a question - Would I even be?

This is intriguing. Care to tell more?

I don't think i would be any different if i never stumbled upon psytrance.

I'm just interested in the genre (well, a part of it anyway) for what it is (music), but everything that is around it doesn't interest me that much.

I mean.. i didn't wait to listen to psytrance to know that life isn't fair, that the system we live in isn't perfect, that we have ecological and social issues, that peace is better than war and not polluting better than polluting, etc.

All those matters aren't unique to the psytrance culture, and i'm not too much into the whole "let's criticize, judge, and insult western's societies and populations, but let's not bother thinking about realistic solutions" movement.

We all know that a lot of people in the modern societies are spending a lot of their time and energy on superficial stuff, which are often being made at the expense of other ppl.

But i often read those "everyone in the western world is a nasty capitalist spending their life trying to get power and money, while pissing on the rest of the world".

Sure, we have some of those. Probably too much. But most of ppl living in "rich countries" aren't the ugly persons a lot of the "trancers" are making them sound to be.

It is just so short minded to think that because i have a car, hi-tech goodies and eat meat, then i must necessarly be a rich, selfish, ignorant and arrogant f***er.

It's like they don't know that a lot of ppl here as well are having hard times getting enough money to feed their family, give the possibily for their child to study, let alone saving a bit of money for the fluff that will make them forget their relatively hard and boring life for a few hours.

The "your country is richer than most and thus you're a bastard and should feel guilty about it" is just so wrong and ignorant.

I also find most psytrancers (at least the ones i met.. which are probably not very representative of the real scene i'll give you that), to be quite naive. Or maybe should i say utopist.

They're preaching and lecturing everyone about how they should behave or not behave, but they seem to have 0 knowledge of history, sociology, and psychology. Like if making a paradise out of this earth and it's 6 billions of human being could be done in one day, or even 10 year or 1 century (or done at all).

Also, all the conspirations theories based on literally nothing are quite ridiculous.

I think i've read several times that the reason why LSD is forbidden, is because governments want to prevent us to see the world how it "really" is - and thus that LSD is a danger for the system because it would "awaken" people.

That made me smile at first, but i think it's pretty sad to be that paranoid.

Anyway.. going to stop there lol.

Sorry for the rant, but i have read/heard so much unproductive nonsense since i'm in this scene.. i needed to get that out of my mind.

More on topic, i'm intrigued at how you guys have a more expended consciousness since you've been listening to psytrance.

I always see the "expended consciousness" expression, but what do you mean by that?

Do you mean that you have a different, wider perspective on the world we are living in?

Is it coming from the music in itself, or the culture around it?

Interesting replies.

Psychedelia and spirituality were part of my life long before I discovered psytrance. I haven't been fortunate enough to attend many specifically psy events, nor do I know anyone else personally who is into psy. So I suppose I wouldn't be any different, except I might play my guitar more rather than make electronic music as I mostly do now.

And I'd probably be more bored, because Pienews folks are funny. :D

More on topic, i'm intrigued at how you guys have a more expended consciousness since you've been listening to psytrance.

I always see the "expended consciousness" expression, but what do you mean by that?

Do you mean that you have a different, wider perspective on the world we are living in?

Is it coming from the music in itself, or the culture around it?

This was a very good post!

However, regarding the naivety of psytrance crowd, I'll just tell you to accept the fact that most people really aren't very smart. It kinda becomes more obvious when they're trying, though, instead of just blindly following social order. Agree?

I myself have developed similar kinds of values but on a totally unrelated tangent than my psytrance interest. Never hung out with psytrance crowd really, just music for me. Though I engage in some related activities anyway ;)