Epic Or Floating Music?

Spirit Complex

19 members have voted

1. 1. Epic or Floating?

• Prefer epic
    • Prefer floating
    • Somewhere in the middle
    • Both

I for one prefer epic music. Not overly cheesy stuff, but something that will tell me a good story, whether it be about aliens or Shiva or whatever else. It doesn't need to be extremely epic, especially in the case of ambient music, but it needs to have some sort of direction and climax or I'll get bored and turn it off. :)

Isn't 'epic' and 'floating' more or less the same, in terms of the mood?

It would make more sense to offer a choice between epic/floating and hard/aggressive, which would more or less be the choice between goa (as in melodic, uplifting - old AP, Electric Universe) and psytrance (more rough and harsh, i.e. Cosmosis Synergy, TIP'and Flying Rhino's sound).

I think the terms I chose might be a little confusing sorry.

Think of something like Deep Space 5D by Dimension 5 which takes you on an epic space journey vs. space ambient that puts you in space and leaves you floating there.

Floating music often changes a lot or not much at all, while epic music changes gradually and more precisely to build up as the journey progresses.

Some psychill music takes you on an epic journey such as many Carbon Based Lifeforms tracks (ie. Photosynthesis) while other artists like Shpongle tend to float around a lot.

The two are opposites but there is a whole range between them.

I think the terms I chose might be a little confusing sorry.

Think of something like Deep Space 5D by Dimension 5 which takes you on an epic space journey vs. space ambient that puts you in space and leaves you floating there.

Floating music often changes a lot or not much at all, while epic music changes gradually and more precisely to build up as the journey progresses.

Some psychill music takes you on an epic journey such as many Carbon Based Lifeforms tracks (ie. Photosynthesis) while other artists like Shpongle tend to float around a lot.

The two are opposites but there is a whole range between them.

For me Dimension 5 is exactly what floaty music is, since most of their tracks are pretty much the same from beginning to the end.

For me Dimension 5 is exactly what floaty music is, since most of their tracks are pretty much the same from beginning to the end.

Hmm, do you not feel the epic build ups in their tracks? :unsure:

It doesn't have much to do with how much the track changes in sound from beginning to end, but epic tracks usually don't change much, because they focus on telling 1 story with 1 set of characters (sounds). There's no need to end up talking about completely different characters for these stories. I don't think there's any parallel to floating music in literature, I've never read any book that skips arounds many different characters not developing an overall plot and interrelation between them all.

Ott is an interesting case for me too. He has what? 4-5 album tracks that seem quite nicely structured to me, and a lot of tracks that are very floaty and forgettable. I find Queen of Everything pretty epic. I could be thrown off by the dub though, I don't listen to dub very much.

Mystical Sun is another interesting case. The first 4 tracks on Deeperworlds are completely different style from the others.

Mmm i think you guys all have other definitions for 'epic' and 'floating' :P .. It's very hard to discus about, because the terms are different for everyone. For me, floating music (talking about goatrance here) has a lot of subtle layers, that merge into eachoter, f.e. ethereal. Their songs don't have really 'big' melodies, but they don't have to, you can just let the music enter your head and float away. Epic music has more big melodies for me, less subtle, more to the point.. Example: Lost buddha - Southern oracle, Filteria's music...

Mmm i think you guys all have other definitions for 'epic' and 'floating' :P .. It's very hard to discus about, because the terms are different for everyone. For me, floating music (talking about goatrance here) has a lot of subtle layers, that merge into eachoter, f.e. ethereal. Their songs don't have really 'big' melodies, but they don't have to, you can just let the music enter your head and float away. Epic music has more big melodies for me, less subtle, more to the point.. Example: Lost buddha - Southern oracle, Filteria's music...

That;s my definitions of floating and epic as well.

That's true hehe! But 'regular' Goa can be pretty epic too. Liquid Flow, Vox, Amithaba Buddha, Psygone, or (especially the older) Filteria like Antares mentioned. Nothing's wrong with floating Goa but most of the times I don't seem to capture the essence of it, I easily lose my attention while listening to such music.

Floating!

Never mind about the details (whether Dimension 5's tracks are considered "epic" or "floating" ... in that case I'd say epic, but still, it doesn't matter), it's floating all the way. Epic is nice, but epic music mostly gets to me such a lot emotionally that I don't listen to it often because I often don't have the time to really dig into the music. And over time my music taste has grown every more minimalistic anyway, so to say. So it's floating all the way ... call it psytrance, progressive, minimal, psyprog, whatever you like, I want her floatin', I like that :)

Dimension 5's Transdimensional is definitely "epic", maybe their second album Second Phaze is more "floating" (Transformations track for example).

I voted both cause I can not decide :)

Off topic but where is the "Off topic" section ? I deserted this forum for so long...

I think psynews or suntrip records site got hacked and mars deleted/closed the offtopic forum thinking it was some psynews member that did that.. something like that ,at least from what I have heard, i was away from psynews when that happened too.

That's sort of floating.