03. Room Of Answers

04. Strange Blue Crystal

05. Terra Imperium

06. Dream Analysis

07. Quantum Digits

08. Phase Of Matter

09. Brainiac

10. Buratino

11. Electrypnose - 5th Countdown (Terranoise Rmx)

Review:

I can't really recall how it happened I got interested in this release (must have been one of those "People who bought this, also liked..." advices at goastore.ch), anyway it turned to be one of the most positive surprises so far this year for me.

In my experience I always find that the music that appeals to me the most is the one that combines ingredients of two or more completely opposite or at least not usually connected with each other styles, or flavors. In psychedelic goa trance this has always been the mixture of uplifting melody with hard, full of effects electronic background, for ambient this is a winning combination of real instruments over synthetic soundscapes created in digital world of virtual synthesis. Maxim Galinov, an artists hiding behind the Terranoise moniker, with this 2009 release made another step in that area.

To put it short, majority of the tracks on "Cross-Dimensional Feedback" at first glance sound awful lot like latest Kindzadza or Arithmetix works: the foundation for all the tracks here is a fast, more or less typical rolling bassline at the speed of 150-170BPM, peppered with hard, grinding array of piercing synth sounds drilling your skull wide open in that measured, highly technical, mathematical geeky style. But luckily Terranoise does not stop there - on top of this already pretty mad stuff he puts an ambient or melodic layers, reminiscent of the epic, cinematic backgrounds we all loved in Talpa's or Principles of Flight's music: we get opera singers, we get real orchestra instruments, we get movie score samples and we get a fair share of electronic sounds, all treated with sonic wizardry of filters, flangers, delays, reverbs and whole range of unimaginable glitchy effects. On paper it might seem that it has already been done by Psykovsky on his last, quite marvelous, album; but this is different – whereas "Da Budet" could be to some extent described as peaceful, this one should definitely be labeled as violent, hard-hitting and furious, although the ambience parts will give you few seconds of rest on the dancefloor. What I really liked about it is that all those elements are combined in such an effortless, natural way – you never have the impression that something is forced or misplaced; it all flows so seamlessly like it was always meant to be that way. You've got to hear tracks like "Antares", "Quantum Digits", "Buratino" (which is named after and samples a theme song from Soviet Union's response to capitalist Pinokio!) or remix to Electrypnose's "5th Countdown" to find out how powerful this style can be. Of course there are average tracks, which rely more or purely on that Kindzadza / Arithmetix style; sometimes heavy repetition of short sequence of sounds can be really grating and I still can't wrap my head around inclusion of – luckily, heavily manipulated – singing in "Brainiac" (apparently nicked from this song by Temptations). But there's no bad track in sight.

The production is adequate: very clear, dynamic and detailed although maybe a bit sterile and plastic because in that particular style I would have loved to hear more dirt or lo-fi sounds to even more underline the contrasting layers. But then that's just me. The digipak's artwork is nice, though probably more suitable to proggy or even downtempo release, but that's again just a very minor gripe.

All in all a very good release, trying succesfuly some new things that should appeal to both full-on and darkpsy crowds.

4/5

• 4 weeks later...

What a good review antic, thanks for the read! . By councidence I heard the track which has nicked a sample from The Temptations. It's rox for sure but never reaches the emotional levels of ie. psykovsky. Well that goes for a lot of acts out there. A lot of great efforts but still in miss of something to top it in excelence. At least it seems Terranoise is one of those heading in the right direction of creativity and landscapes (using other elements to balance out, like ambience). And at least the album art promises something special, unlike the terrible yet funny art work of their debut album.

=)

• 2 months later...