Making Ambient Music

I basically make music for myself and since I don't have a lot of ambient in my collection I will be devoting the rest of the year to making some quality ambient.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions? Synths that sound good, effects that are atmospheric etc.

Just laid down some long, long sweeps with the moog and that sounds great so that's one element I've got for sure.

one thing i found to be fun for creating pads is to use the processing for other tracks on a random pad. Fe some heavy distortion. High pass it, maybe add some compression and it sounds very different from the original. You could copy the processing of the bass track for example and use it for pad sounds.

Another nice trick is to use only the wet part of a reverbed sound. It can be any sound really. It will just give the track a spacey feel without filling alot of the spectrum. High pass again here.

the zebra vsti could be fun for adding some nice textures.

The timeless is a personal favourite for delays. check here

Don't forget to add some funky beats to keep those heads nodding in stead of falling asleep!

• 2 weeks later...