Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

#122 Anoebis

Anoebis

Tits stealer

• Mad old ones
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

Some shameless self promotion if you like this kind of sound... Pure 90's trance from a party we organised a few weeks ago :)

Listen on Soundcloud.com

#123 Manuser

Manuser

Stepping to the Stars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

I was just listening to it ! :D

#124 Padmapani

Padmapani

Stepping to the Stars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

Some shameless self promotion if you like this kind of sound... Pure 90's trance from a party we organised a few weeks ago :)

Listen on Soundcloud.com

thanks for that shameless self-promotion. i missed that there's now a part two :)

#125 johnb820

johnb820

Visually distorted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:56 AM

So I am trying to figure out what I don't like about recent trance and I've been listening to the classic trance station on di.fm a lot lately. A couple of things I noticed.

-More variation of chord progressions. Recent trance is not adventurous any more. There used to be all sorts of chords back then, many minor some mixed with major but never dull and always interesting. Many beautiful and well thought out layers and harmonies.

-Faster BPMs and tighter basslines. The classic sound is more driving and energetic compared to the watered down pussy stuff that passes for trance these days. Trance now is basically what prog used to be.

-More variation of sounds and fewer vocal lines which does not mean a lack of voice samples which were used to stronger effect during the breakdowns back then.

-Break beats.

-Stronger, deeper kicks. Overall recent trance feels light and not very agressive as a form of dance music. Bouncy? Yes. Euphoric and adrenaline fueling? No. The trance I knew left your legs throbbing with pain as it just kept pounding, forcing you to dance to forget the sweat pouring off your face.

-A more positive message. I know it sounds stupid but it's nice to hear a form of music more aware of the concept of PLUR. Classic trance felt more inclusive and empathetic where one could listen to it in the clubs, at home, or anywhere. Recent trance is more sexual and about feeling young, edgy, and "dangerous". It's almost strictly a club music now.

-Yes some trippy sounds mixed in to complement the rhythms.

This is not to suggest good trance can't be found these days but I think a lot of what I fell in love with about trance is something more specific to that time and place. Unless more artists start getting adventurous again or the big name DJs start selecting more exciting songs I think there will never again be such a form of dance music. Now I feel inspired to make something like classic trance.

#126 zoltan_g

zoltan_g

Enlightened Ape

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Making lovely psy music!!!!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

Listen on Soundcloud.com

I just got around to listening to this. Great old school trance tunes! Reminds me of parties I went to when this stuff was really big.

#127 Padmapani

Padmapani

Stepping to the Stars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:16 AM

@johnb820

+1 to everything you said, except the breakbeats (which i don't care much for but also don't dislike) and the vocals. the less vocals the better (with exceptions like those in point zero, etnoscope - sunrise or similar ones).

#128 Rotwang

Rotwang

Power corrupts, moderator power corrupts moderately

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,724 posts
  • Interests:Physics, Maths, Poking things with sticks

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:38 PM

#129 Anu Katariina

Anu Katariina

Visually distorted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • Interests:Goatrance, nitzhogoa/nitzhonot, Swedish forest psy/goa, Detroit techno, deep house, Children of Bodom, fanship & supporting artists and labels.

Posted 14 June 2015 - 02:23 AM

There is a interesting discussion about stealing going on in this thread, scroll down https://www.psynews....ed-topic/page-6started by me by posting DJ Orkidea's track Unity released 1999 that brought him much fame and atm he has 34 kilo likers on his official fb page, also he is my biggest idols from earlier trance years and now I am in a shock. Anybody knowing more, plz share. And rather in this thread, I guess.

#130 Veracohr

Veracohr

Evil spirit chicken monster

• Global Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:17 AM

Hardly the first time:

#131 Padmapani

Padmapani

Stepping to the Stars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:35 AM

at least he didn't copy the melody/progression 1:1 and brought the whole thing to a completely different genre. it might even (or might not, who knows...) have been without conscious intent. remember how dog days bliss from filteria's latest album contains almost the same melody as chakra's liquid troll. sometimes a pregression you know but have forgotten about just sounds right when you're playing around.

for a definite ripoff that became a classic just like the original (i can't imagine how anyone who's that much into trance that he produces his own tracks can forget about the original), look no further than here (even though we've had these tracks here before iirc) :

#132 Rotate99

Rotate99

Newcommer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:53 PM

"Dash Berlin & Syzz - This Is Who We Are" made by grandmaster of trance Dash Berlin.
The video is also ultra cool. Hollywood blockbuster style. Great work. 

http://www.dance-cha...-are-musikvideo

#133 Scandinasia

Scandinasia

Visually distorted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Fantasy
    Steampunk
    Goa 604
    Fantasy Trance

Posted 28 June 2015 - 01:23 PM

Just found an absolute gem :I personnally consider the Japanese Trance scene as being absolutely remarkable, and especially when it comes to Touhou circles :

Good intros and outros, a deep sense of melodic progression, outstand uplifting patterns, powerful basslines, beautiful lyrics. I'm in complete love.

Their Goa is messy, but their Uplifting is ranked A++.

#134 Manuser

Manuser

Stepping to the Stars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:58 PM

Typical oldschool euro trance

Hiver & Hammer - Lost in my mind

#135 johnb820

johnb820

Visually distorted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:10 AM

Here is a pretty nice track from 2003 I caught the other day.

And another from 2002.

Sure there is the vocal breakdown I guess, but the track does not feel cheesy at all. Just kind of soft, dreamy, affectionate, ethereal like I love my trance.

#136 Manuser

Manuser

Stepping to the Stars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:27 AM

This track from Nu NRG reminds me good things from my student life, nice one
not fan of the other track though

My fav NU NRG track is Free fall

#137 Manuser

Manuser

Stepping to the Stars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 02:05 PM

and how about this old trance?
sounds VERY old (and nice, I can't keep smiling so good memories from this time)

Nostrum Blow Back

#138 Manuser

Manuser

Stepping to the Stars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:29 AM

Some of the best works melody wise:

Rank 1 - Black snow https://www.youtube....h?v=3BwPIOW1ttY
The melody is truly special, i don't know if it was inspired by an existing song or anything, but no mention so I guess it is original - I am truly impressed by the melodic work here

Jaccot - Mu-v express https://www.youtube....h?v=YURpdQuc1iU
Truly underrated - Made by an spanish man, the sounds used remind me Veracocha Carte blanche, very touching melody
Track sounds empty and simple but how can you disappoint with such an epic melody?

Ferry Corsten - Sweet sorrow (Thrillseekers remix) https://www.youtube....h?v=BRhq0l1NDCo
The melancholic and touching approach...what to say just to listen to the track, epic melody again

Bobina - Invisible touch (Ferry Corsten touch) https://www.youtube....h?v=POGLKoYU5g4
Melancholic stuff and instant classic IMO

Schiller - Ein shoner tag (Kaycee mischung) https://www.youtube....h?v=tBzjDk_p96U
Ok this one is a bit special, it is based on the theme "Un bel di vedremo" from the opera "Madame Butterfly", there is a long build up and the trance melody that follows is really uplifting
Nice work

There are of course many more, but just 5 in top of my head right now that really deserve a mention.

#139 GhostOnAcid

GhostOnAcid

Awaken

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:producing music, djing, goatrance :)

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:36 PM

Terra Ferma - The Scream

<3

#140 Anu Katariina

Anu Katariina

Visually distorted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • Interests:Goatrance, nitzhogoa/nitzhonot, Swedish forest psy/goa, Detroit techno, deep house, Children of Bodom, fanship & supporting artists and labels.

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:58 PM

I didn't go through all the 7 pages so I don't know if this has already posted but yeah, this track brings some memories back in the times I worked night shifts in a hospital. And the rat is awesome!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users