Normal Trance

sneila

• 1 month later...

That must be the track i listened to the most last year when i was in Australia.

Used to do my work out outside, bringing my mp3 player with me and play this (easy to do 120 push ups in 5mn with that ! :D)

I think i got totally addicted to this melody

Bobina "invisible touch" Ferry Corsten mix

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMfraWWVzMY

Ferry Corsten is one of the very few normal trance artists I can enjoy. This is not my favorite mix from him, but he has some good stuff. After hearing a bunch of bad commercial normal trance, I never really gave that type of music another try. Then my brother in law had some Ferry Corsten stuff on his car cd player which made me like some of it. I let me brother in law listen to a bunch of progressive trance as well, and he loved it. Good thing we both like trance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I am trying to figure out what I don't like about recent trance and I've been listening to the classic trance station on di.fm a lot lately. A couple of things I noticed.

-More variation of chord progressions. Recent trance is not adventurous any more. There used to be all sorts of chords back then, many minor some mixed with major but never dull and always interesting. Many beautiful and well thought out layers and harmonies.

-Faster BPMs and tighter basslines. The classic sound is more driving and energetic compared to the watered down pussy stuff that passes for trance these days. Trance now is basically what prog used to be.

-More variation of sounds and fewer vocal lines which does not mean a lack of voice samples which were used to stronger effect during the breakdowns back then.

-Break beats.

-Stronger, deeper kicks. Overall recent trance feels light and not very agressive as a form of dance music. Bouncy? Yes. Euphoric and adrenaline fueling? No. The trance I knew left your legs throbbing with pain as it just kept pounding, forcing you to dance to forget the sweat pouring off your face.

-A more positive message. I know it sounds stupid but it's nice to hear a form of music more aware of the concept of PLUR. Classic trance felt more inclusive and empathetic where one could listen to it in the clubs, at home, or anywhere. Recent trance is more sexual and about feeling young, edgy, and "dangerous". It's almost strictly a club music now.

-Yes some trippy sounds mixed in to complement the rhythms.

This is not to suggest good trance can't be found these days but I think a lot of what I fell in love with about trance is something more specific to that time and place. Unless more artists start getting adventurous again or the big name DJs start selecting more exciting songs I think there will never again be such a form of dance music. Now I feel inspired to make something like classic trance.