Best Mixes?

sneila

TRACK SELECTION AND ARRANGEMENT ARE MOST IMPORTANT IN A MIX, THEN MIXING SKILLS.

OK the best mix I've heard so far is DJ Skywarp - 604 from 2003.

Share some mixes if you think they are amazing, which probably excludes your personal mixes.

TRACK SELECTION AND ARRANGEMENT ARE MOST IMPORTANT IN A MIX, THEN MIXING SKILLS.

Share some mixes if you think they are amazing, which probably excludes your personal mixes.

Better if we add a download link too. I'll post later a couple of mixes that I enjoy every time I listen to

The last thing I care about in a mix is the mixing skills.

For me is

80% track selection

19% arrangement

1% mixing skills

On topic best mix ever IMO is the second cd of Distance To Goa 4 mixed by Dino Psaras.

For me is

80% track selection

19% arrangement

1% mixing skills

I don't understand. A good transition can elevate the new song for at least 3 minutes and if the mix keeps doing this all the songs will be elevated and this can even accumulate. Mixes that don't build up or at least conserve energy this way are not worth much imo. For a mix to listen at home multiple times it's more important than live though, because hearing the same bad transition a couple times can really get annoying and also a fantastic one can grow on you a lot.

But I still agree that track selection is more important.

I don't understand. A good transition can elevate the new song for at least 3 minutes and if the mix keeps doing this all the songs will be elevated and this can even accumulate. Mixes that don't build up or at least conserve energy this way are not worth much imo. For a mix to listen at home multiple times it's more important than live though, because hearing the same bad transition a couple times can really get annoying and also a fantastic one can grow on you a lot.

I understand what are you saying, but for me the mixing was never important. As long the transitions aren't annoyingly bad then I don't care. I don't even care if the dj decides to stop a track just to put another one without any transition.

Another thing I hate is when djs try too much in the transitions. I prefer simple transitions instead of 'professional' long ones.

But that's just me.

On topic again Both cds of Retro-10 Years Of Israeli Trance

Perhaps that might be the case for techno (and plain trance) because imo techno is more about rhytmn than musicality......for goa or psy i think it already has the seed of transition in the song itself, namely the intro's and outro's.......

so also for me with goa and psy: letbthe song speak for itself by keeping the transition phase minimum instead of making it an DJ egotrip with looooooong transitions.....

since where at bit, i find all those dj's overrated......like they are gods or something....my god......

For me is

80% track selection

19% arrangement

1% mixing skills

On topic best mix ever IMO is the second cd of Distance To Goa 4 mixed by Dino Psaras.

I disagree, and it seems to be that this is the general thought of the people who listens to GOA/PSY, maybe that's why most of GOA/PSY mixes are not good enough, they lack something, they lack that feeling that a good mix can make you feel.

The purpose of listening to a mix is more than just listening to a bunch of good tracks, it's about the mix itself, otherwise you should just listen to a compilation CD, or simply do a track selection and winamp will do the rest.

For me it must be a more balanced proportion, I would say

40% track selection

40% arrangement

20% mixing skills

Even a not so good track, if well arranged and it's well mixed, could bring the mix to an entire new level, and improve the overall quality and the listening experience.

On topic, I always enjoy listening to Paul Oakenfold - The goa mix (see), it's not the best example of good mixing skills but that track selection combined with movie samples it's pretty good!, it's something seldom heard on a mix.

And I know one should exclude own mixes, but I really think this one is good and I do like it a lot: Igneo - Misty Forest (Download)

since where at bit, i find all those dj's overrated......like they are gods or something....my god......

Wgat? Who? Where?

Anyways, my favorite mixed psy trance orientated release is Suzuki's Deck Wizards - Core, for having a well thought out and arranged track selection. It may not be a stone cold classic, but then again I have never heard a psy/goa trance DJ mix I'd deem a classic... Some of those Distance to Goa CDs were cool, but nothing but nothing I'd cry over if they got stolen, or broken.

I disagree, and it seems to be that this is the general thought of the people who listens to GOA/PSY, maybe that's why most of GOA/PSY mixes are not good enough, they lack something, they lack that feeling that a good mix can make you feel.

The purpose of listening to a mix is more than just listening to a bunch of good tracks, it's about the mix itself, otherwise you should just listen to a compilation CD, or simply do a track selection and winamp will do the rest.

For me it must be a more balanced proportion, I would say

40% track selection

40% arrangement

20% mixing skills

Even a not so good track, if well arranged and it's well mixed, could bring the mix to an entire new level, and improve the overall quality and the listening experience.

On topic, I always enjoy listening to Paul Oakenfold - The goa mix (see), it's not the best example of good mixing skills but that track selection combined with movie samples it's pretty good!, it's something seldom heard on a mix.

And I know one should exclude own mixes, but I really think this one is good and I do like it a lot: Igneo - Misty Forest (Download)

I guess that's explained the fact that I rarely (or never) listen an entire mix. Psy or not psy.

I think most goa/psy mixes don't have that good of track selection and arrangement. There are too many mixes just using popular tracks. Mixing skills is mostly just making them go together smoothly at a good point, which is still important, but only after picking tracks and arranging them first.

One thing I like about the mix I mentioned in first post is that it's mostly obscure tracks just released on an EP or something, not that special alone, but they all work perfectly in the mix.

I also think goa might be harder to mix, since lots of the [better] tracks are so unique and different from one another due partly to the complexity of the music as well.

no tracklist ?

no download link :unsure:

Well I think you could find both with a little googling and torrent searching, but here ya go:

01 Twelve Moons: Zero Gravity (Remix 2)

02 Planet B.E.N: Y2K

03 Dreamtec: Venus

04 Shpongle: Divine Moments of Truth (Instrumental remix)

05 Matenda: Split Personality

06 Stoop & Fidget: Bits & Pieces (Sunday Night Live Madness Mix)

07 Vibrasphere: Autopilot

08 Monoclone: Dark Whisper (Tuesday Morning mix)

09 Psychonaut: Neurosphere

10 Infected Mushroom: Symphonatic

11 Man With No Name: Revenge

All trax 2000, except MWNN 1998, Vibrasphere 1999.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/i3cmz7

dl right now! As for the topic question, I'm not sure, I wish I had a good answer/suggestion to give, but I don't.

e.

I really like most of the tracks, but what makes this the best MIX evvargh? That I can't seem to smell.

I gotto mention that while I was msn buddies with a guy calling him self Ishwara,

he sent me some of his mixes (like a 'in respect' mix of Cosma's tracks),

and that was a pure gold mix-set, man, that guy named Steve got skillz!!

Having listened to goa for so long, it's natural development to get a 'quirky', a tad narrow taste - it's simply a case of getting fond to particular soundscapes that usually only a few artists are able to deliver (or, a few artists doing the 'same thing' a bit better than the rest). So as a conclusion - I've never heard a mix that I could say to love 100%. Will mix and post here one myself in the future thou, hehe.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent released mixes:

Mark Allen - Deck Wizards

Goa Gil - Deck Wizards: Kosmokrator

Jean Borelli - Deck Wizards: Planet Maya

Tsuyoshi Suzuki - Deck Wizards: Core

Tsuyoshi Suzuki - Shamanic Trance: Dada Funk Mix

Tsuyoshi Suzuki - Trancentral Four - A Trip To Goa

Dino Psaras - Distance To Goa 4 CD 2

Excellent downloaded mixes:

Basilisk - Nocturnal Wanderlust

INr G - Rites Of Animalness

Jens M - Hail the Fluffies

Lumo - Nirbubg

Searcher - Neurotrance

Tsuyoshi Suzuki - Live @ JJJ Mixup, Australia - 2000-01-22

Well I think you could find both with a little googling and torrent searching, but here ya go:

01 Twelve Moons: Zero Gravity (Remix 2)

02 Planet B.E.N: Y2K

03 Dreamtec: Venus

04 Shpongle: Divine Moments of Truth (Instrumental remix)

05 Matenda: Split Personality

06 Stoop & Fidget: Bits & Pieces (Sunday Night Live Madness Mix)

07 Vibrasphere: Autopilot

08 Monoclone: Dark Whisper (Tuesday Morning mix)

09 Psychonaut: Neurosphere

10 Infected Mushroom: Symphonatic

11 Man With No Name: Revenge

All trax 2000, except MWNN 1998, Vibrasphere 1999.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/i3cmz7

Just as the track selection suggests there is no direction at all in this set, it's just a bunch of tracks glued together. I cannot understand how anyone can think of this as a good mix.