• Forest
    • Horror
    • Maximal Full Power
    • Doof style
    • Experimental / freestyle
    • Something else, perhaps?
    • All
    • None

The rubberfootbass + the overall atmosphere sounds just melt my heart, always loved them and always will. Nowdays pretty much all I listen to is Suomi, experimental & forest when it comes to psy + the occasional melodic stuff :)

:wub: I know what u mean... When I heard Boldly Audio there was no turning back! :rolleyes:

---

and sorry did anybody ask for melodic dark psy :P

my contribution... my personal favorite:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Check out Overdream's album Wonderwise, or read my review.

finally got that album. its really good for sure. phat bass sound with neat effects and melodies. :)

favourite dark psy would be a combination of greg on earth's wizadry + psykovsky's madness + derango's foresty sound.

with a pinch of GOW and Zolod to add that little extra something to the whole soup.

Is Xenomorph considered as Darkpsy and if so, which substyle is it?

(I'm not a Darkpsy fan but I do like the above.....in general, my main problem is the bpm.....and most of the time the lack of depth and musicality, though I could be mistaken on that last one because I do not follow any of the artists......)

a while ago there was something that I called "morning darkpsy" which took the best of both worlds: fast-paced rolling bassline AND killer catchy morning melodies, like Psyfactor - Fear Square (OMG how can such a great track not be on youtube??? I'll upload a copy):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tmmv948XDo

I don't know if there are enough such tunes out there to call it a subgenre in itself but it would be BY FAR my best dark psy style. (BTW if you know of more such tunes please recommend them to me! :) )

Other than that, I prefer darkpsy where they play a lot with atmospheres, like G.O.E. but I HATE that all too easy method of throwing random screechy sounds on top of a rolling bassline!!! (insert most darkpsy artists here...)

a while ago there was something that I called "morning darkpsy" which took the best of both worlds: fast-paced rolling bassline AND killer catchy morning melodies, like Psyfactor - Fear Square (OMG how can such a great track not be on youtube??? I'll upload a copy):

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tmmv948XDo

I don't know if there are enough such tunes out there to call it a subgenre in itself but it would be BY FAR my best dark psy style. (BTW if you know of more such tunes please recommend them to me! :) )

Other than that, I prefer darkpsy where they play a lot with atmospheres, like G.O.E. but I HATE that all too easy method of throwing random screechy sounds on top of a rolling bassline!!! (insert most darkpsy artists here...)

Have you tried oCeLoT?

He's not that melodic, but it's a prefect example of darkpsy that ain't dark.

Also

Tutankhamon 9000

Overdream

Quasar

Have you tried oCeLoT?

He's not that melodic, but it's a prefect example of darkpsy that ain't dark.

Also

Tutankhamon 9000

Overdream

Quasar

tried Ocelot, Quasar and Tutankhamon 9000 but it's not the same feeling at all :(

BTW while we're at it, I've had this track on my harddrive for a while: Psyfactor - Unreleased Track no. 5... does anyone care to ID it? I have it since 2004 so I suppose it has been released since. Also a "morning daskpsy" track (minute 6:00 is KILAAGHH!)... funny cause back then I thought that all darkpsy would sound like this in a few years since it's a lot more catchy than "normal" darkpsy but I guess that the trend never really caught on :(

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLq45lMBLVk

Does Ka-Sol count as Forest?

I really don't know shit about what is supposed to be what. Sometimes it all just sounds the same to me. Not that I don't like it. I pretty much listen to anything these days (that isn't some poppy shit like britney spears and shit).

I like:

Kindzadza

Psykovsky

Ka-Sol

Derango

Principles of Flight (they fit in there somewhere? maybe)

Ozmali

Osom

etc etc

And a lot of others that I'm forgetting. I'll listen to all of it, though. Just to get my mind reeling.

about track n5, I've heard it, sure it's mine but its unnamed as others my unreleased tracks

sorry but I don't give a names to the tracks which I know their will be ever unreleased.

tried Ocelot, Quasar and Tutankhamon 9000 but it's not the same feeling at all :(

BTW while we're at it, I've had this track on my harddrive for a while: Psyfactor - Unreleased Track no. 5... does anyone care to ID it? I have it since 2004 so I suppose it has been released since. Also a "morning daskpsy" track (minute 6:00 is KILAAGHH!)... funny cause back then I thought that all darkpsy would sound like this in a few years since it's a lot more catchy than "normal" darkpsy but I guess that the trend never really caught on :(

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLq45lMBLVk

I never explored the genre much. Psykovsky is pretty wicked tho, and so is Cybernetika. There's just too much dark psy out there that sounds all the same to me. Heavy dark repetitive bassline, random half-second samples with a ton of reverb and delay on them appearing every couple of seconds, and then in the pauses theres usually some audio sample from a movie or some conversation.. and then back to the beat with the bassline again.. BORING. Too minimal and repetitive, and it sounds like every dark psy artist out there uses the same damn samples and synthesizers. 

But like I said, I've only scratched the surface of whatever is out there. I'm sure there's more artists that would give me a good impression like Psykovsky. 

about track n5, I've heard it, sure it's mine but its unnamed as others my unreleased tracks

sorry but I don't give a names to the tracks which I know their will be ever unreleased.

ah darn, how can you let such a masterpiece unreleased?

To lemmiwinks

just forgot

try to find anywhere "psyfactor - giveyourself remix" ))))

ah great, I'll definately try to track it down. YOU ROCK!!! ;)

• 1 month later...

Forest, you can hear the quality in milliseconds, unlike most darkpsy productions I hear.

Some favourites are the dudes and dudettes from Schlabbaduerst, Sanaton Records, the guys from Derango, ... Xenomorph's recent stuff is also very good, not the same as his oldschool tracks but still very fresh.

I'd probably put xenomorph halfway between horror and normal darkpsy (not quite as bass/face melting fx heavy as some horror stuff).

You guys agree with me that dark soho is probably psy tekk right?

+1 to that psykovsky track being fucking incredible. There's some truely avant-garde darkpsy round nowdays.

What would multiple personalities 3 fall under? Full power I guess? Forest is the most likely for a downloaded mix not to be total crap, however I think I definitely prefer full power and horror psy more.

I'd probably put xenomorph halfway between horror and normal darkpsy (not quite as bass/face melting fx heavy as some horror stuff).

Can you recommend to me some of the best (in your opinion) bass/face melting stuff out there?

I've really been searching through this nice little subgenre and wanting to explore the very dark hard side of it, but would really dig some suggestions.

Everything I've been recommended as horror or core just doesn't seem to have enough bollocks.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers