• Horror
    • Maximal Full Power
    • Doof style
    • Experimental / freestyle
    • Something else, perhaps?
    • All
    • None

1. Classic darkpsy

The 'normal' darkpsy style you know and love/hate.

Stuff like Mubali, Jelly Headz, Mind Distortion System etc.

2. Forest

Known style. Stuff like Derango, Olien, Procs.

3. Horror

More dark and heavy stuff, with a horror attitude.

Stuff like Silent Horror, Melorix, Fatal Discord.

4. Maximal Full Power

'In Your Face' full speed blast fx paranoia.

Stuff like Cosmo, Highko, Furious.

5. Doof style

Something between hard dark full on and darkpsy.

Stuff like Entropy, Rev, Terranoise.

6. Experimental / Freestyle

Stuff like Midnight's Shared Blossom compilation, Infect Insect, Arsenic.

7. Something else, perhaps?

Like Catatonic Despair or Tutankhamon 9000 maybe?

ps. I voted All

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stop guessing and start knowing, this is Your thread allah damn it! :lol::P

I like your poll and descriptions, but it needs more editing and options before it feels complete'ish. ..o_O.

I was thinking and confirming yeterday while listening to CPC that I really enjoy this sort of "darkpsy", it's the feel that made me fall in love with the genre when it was created by tripped out Russian mafiosases. I mean, the style of the new CPC album is fucking fantastic, very sexy, naughty and extremly cool. The Psykovsky debut album needs no words, it's just pure orgasm to my ears. The Zolod album is really light and floaty, trippy stuff. Zen VA's are a total grr B) Joker VA.

I have no idea what box I'm talking about though. Russian Psy? Psychedelic Mafia Crew? PsyCore? DarkPsy?

'

And besides darkpsy, I love psytrance/goatrance thats dark without being so god damn obvious killer dark. Subtile darkness or smth. :)

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTHmhdaebPQ

http://www.discogs.com/Infinity-Project-Overwind-Incandescence/master/9745

DarkGoa, DarkProgressive, Darkwhatever - psychedelic

Ghreg On Earth, Industrial dunkadunk, it's pretty dark.

I like darkness when it has something wub like colours, emotions, space, deepness - intelligence:

Posted Image

,, I'll vote all.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=062RHYXZ3Yc

These are some of the first encunters I had:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7qXDxiCNn8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_NJXWWN0j4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lzFHBJ1SXA well, I ment Geona from Acid Mutants VA, couldn't youtube it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4Y-TRE_Mzw

:huh:

stop guessing and start knowing, this is Your thread allah damn it! :lol::P

All you have to do is to find out what your favorite darkpsy artists sound like and immediately you'll find your poll option.

From your words you should vote for classic or all.

Just stop critising my flawless poll :P

@ Otto

This poll is not about dark psytrance, but for the specific style of what we call today as darkpsy.

Thus I didn't add dark goa, tech trance, dark soho style, tim schuldt style etc. :)

I think it would be dark full-on because it combines trippy synth lines and powerful bass, but I don't like it a lot more than the other styles, instead its more like the good stuff from all the styles. For example...

Ocelot - Vector Selector

Furious - Uncanny Beats

Ghreg on Earth - Sigilweaver

etc...

I wonder where Ghreg on Earth would fit, in other I suppose?

Is there such a thing as melodic darkpsy?

By melodic i don't mean stuff ala nitzo/full on/morning goa, but just more melodic than "random effects" (i know they're not random, but you got my point).

Something that could be like melodic dark soundscapes and subtle melodic lines, with a darkpsy-ish bassline.

The best exemple i have of this is the soundscape in "Cosma - Nonstop" starting at 3:27. It's not much but it's a good start.

It's both dark and melodic, and that unfortunately sounds pretty unique in darkpsy (or should i say in psy music at all), from what i know at least.

"Only Love" by Psykovsky & Deja Vu is also quite melodic and dark.

I would really be interested in hearing some mad melodic work in that genre, so i'm wondering if there are any.

Oh-hoy! Great track Laserflip, never heard that one before!

sure there is, there's a lot of tracks and atrists out there who enjoy emotional landscapes in their sound. Both subtile and obvious :)

A few recommendations would be the new CPC album, the album released by Deja Vu, Zolod. One of the reason I love Psykovsky is his (and other people who manages to do the same) way of including sweet and almost hidden melodies in his production making the journey thick layered and emotional while disturbed. The YggdraSounds II compilation surprised the pants off me with their very clever and intellectual way of making melodies in a wide arrangement, I had to be in a very special smoking after out partying and drinking mood to figure this ,,secret" out, but that’s what makes good music special, when it got abilities to surprise you when you thought you got it all figured out.

And I totally agree about the random effects thrown in, even though in most cases their not as random as your grandmother might believe, it get's tiring and boring too damn fast. Maybe if I was a teenager it would impress me a million times more then it does today, without mentioning any examples of this style. Some years ago when this style was more unknown, it was exiting and something new to this style. Now you can pick up almost any compilation of forest/darkpsy and they all do it, donno why though, so much more interesting music could have been made with these peoples cubase/fruityloops skills.

A lot of these sounds out there roaming in the descries of forest flavors, killer fuck your ego up real good horror moods and dark psychedelia tend to sound more like Ketamin trippy then psychedelic trippy, imo.

Thanks for the track Laserflip!

the album released by Deja Vu, Zolod.

Oh! I've heard that one.

I really liked the second track with the flutes, it sounds very relaxing/peaceful eventhough the bpm is quite high.

I've disliked darkpsy for a long time, but that kind of tracks along with some psykovsky ones (Indigo Child/Compos Mentis/Only Love) made me realize that this genre had a lot of potential that is yet to be fully exploited.

Thanks for your other recomendations anyway, i'll check them out!

Yes. The answer is Malicious. Althou I even opened a topic praising this guy from heaven to earth, nobody (on this forum at least) seems to have given him a shot. I've checked many 'hyped' darkpsy artist mentioned on psynews and this guy is heaps better, no bullshit. Every track I've heard by Malicious is great, no filler.

Enough talk thou... his music is free to download, check out:

http://www.filestube.com/5f4d4692c0d1ea9a03e9,g/Malicious-Feast-Of-Death-EP-2008-www-psychedelia-su.html

http://www.filestube.com/85f63f9f89f2fbc303ea,g/Malicious-Wonders-FairyTales-2008-CzR.html

You can only vote 1?

I like 2,3,4 and 6.

With a slight preference for stuff like Aremakki, Total, Katasrtof, Sekt, Hishirio, etc, I guess that's called horror then, so I voted horror.

Also Furious, Kindzadza, Osom, Psykovsky, Savage Scream, Datakult, CPC, Fragletrollet, Hyarant etc.

And the softer dark, like Penta, Ocelot and old Kluster, old Tryambaka, Paper Squad when I'm in the mood for it.

Well of course... gotta love the heavy wet beats :P

The rubberfootbass + the overall atmosphere sounds just melt my heart, always loved them and always will. Nowdays pretty much all I listen to is Suomi, experimental & forest when it comes to psy + the occasional melodic stuff :)