Amon Tobin Anyone?

jivamukti

I kind of rediscovered his music recently. My brother got Supermodified when it was released around ten years ago and I liked it then but over the years I forgot about Tobin. A few years ago I tried listening some of his albums but couldn't get into them. Now however I really dig Supermodified, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory OST and especially Foley Room. The Chaos Theory soundtrack is a great collection of brooding breaks, and Foley Room is exhileratingly freeform yet rich with emotion. IMO the only bad track on it is Kitchen Sink which is a silly collection of kitchen sounds.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, i listened to him a lot for a while too. i need to get supermodified again, that albums was fucking awesome. i also liked 'out from out where' and 'bricolage' a lot, but theyre all pretty great. i missed his appearance here in seattle by 3 days :angry:

My first experience with Amon Tobin was hearing his first two albums in full on a college radio station deep in the night, around 2001 or so. I was totally entranced and fell in love instantly. Thing was, the DJ didn't know his set was clipping like crazy, and what I heard was a distorted version of the real thing. The real thing was, to me, when I got the CDs, not as interesting. It was a huge learning experience, and made me realize how important distortion is. To me, at least. Someone who really gets that emotional quality of distortion, I think, is Tim Hecker.

As for Amon Tobin's stuff itself, I totally appreciate it. It has brought an appreciation for extreme sample wizardry to the mainstream. Very original, and to me he is a giant in the industry.

• 3 weeks later...

Amon Tobin rulez !!!

BRICOLAGE, SUPERMODIFIED, PERMUTATION, FOLEY ROOM, all great albums.

I've heard him playing DJ set and it was one of the best mixture of trip hop, breakbeat and drum'n'bass I've ever heard...

I've heard him playing DJ set and it was one of the best mixture of trip hop, breakbeat and drum'n'bass I've ever heard...

Excusemüa, but Ed Rush & Optical is KING of D'n'B :P IMO :D

Edit: Too much beer drinking today, missed a "DJ set" -part.

overrated

theres tons of artist doing the SAME kind of thing, even better

he's not particulary original, and really, his songs always go on the same direction, too repetitive, and his drum n bass skills are quite limited

but thats only me :rolleyes:

Hahahahahahaha.

Right.

Sorry, I don't even want to post an argument. Just want to point my finger and say "HA! HA!"

Posted Image

In the genre he does, theres quite lot of artist better then him, im sorry for you to not know them, thats all, Amon's not a sucker He has a nice sounds and particular one, tough, there something missing in his songs that makes me pretty much everytime say : oh okay, that was nice, but do i want to listen to amon tobin ten times a day? NO!

Supermodified is really good, and i can easily hear the quality in all the albums i've listened to but i also think there's much more better music out there.

for me Amon Tobin, like AFX, are quality music and also pioneers but what have evolved from their works (and of course similar ones) sound more pleasing to my ears.

In the genre he does, theres quite lot of artist better then him, im sorry for you to not know them, thats all, Amon's not a sucker He has a nice sounds and particular one, tough, there something missing in his songs that makes me pretty much everytime say : oh okay, that was nice, but do i want to listen to amon tobin ten times a day? NO!

So what are these similar yet more original artists?

wisp

kettel

apparat

blackfilm

the flashbulb

venetian snares

bola

tycho

all in the same extended brand of music

makes all original music, that i always want to listen to, not like amon tobin.

Well none of these artists sound like Amon Tobin imho :huh:

First of all you listed some random IDM and breakcore artists that have nothing in common with Amon Tobin's music. Breaks with jazz samples vs. melodic idm like Kettel or insane breakcore like Venetian Snares.

And can you give me some examples of who Amon Tobin is ripping of exactly :unsure: