Gangguru - X-3

on10

Hi,

Thx for the recommendation but I've already actually heard it and IMHO I think COP sux it's too bland. I think Jan Muller had a very negative effect on them because their Gangguru trax aren't lifeless and boring. :)

Best tracks ever? No. This is just a curiosity: an obscure old Goa record with poor production value masking some vaguely interesting ideas. I mean, it's not terrible; die-hard 604 junkies will probably want to hear it at some point, but it's lasting value and widespread appeal are both extremely limited.

Best tracks ever? No. This is just a curiosity: an obscure old Goa record with poor production value masking some vaguely interesting ideas. I mean, it's not terrible; die-hard 604 junkies will probably want to hear it at some point, but it's lasting value and widespread appeal are both extremely limited.

Hi,

Most people around here don't think production quality is the most important factor in music (far from it) so please go enjoy your 2009 killargh psytrance hitz somewhere else. THX.

Hi,

Thx for the recommendation but I've already actually heard it and IMHO I think COP sux it's too bland. I think Jan Muller had a very negative effect on them because their Gangguru trax aren't lifeless and boring. :)

COP isn't bland, its just a different approach. You have to let tracks like New Cop sink it. Its like goa techno instead of goa trance.

Most people around here don't think production quality is the most important factor in music (far from it) so please go enjoy your 2009 killargh psytrance hitz somewhere else. THX.

Where did I say that production quality is the most important factor in music? It isn't. But it sure can drag an otherwise good song into the curiosity file, as it does here.

Hi,

I agree that Dreamtime is a beautiful and impressive track, and it deserves more attention. It kind of reminds me of Noosphere's equally great track Carpe Noctem.

I do however have a different opinion about Jan Muller's input: the Dreamtime/X-3 single was released the same year as the COP album (1999), so it might actually be that Jan Muller had a very positive effect on their sound. If you compare Dreamtime/X-3 to their track Ultimate (1997) it is obvious that their sound improved a lot, and you can't deny the presence of the 16 note bassline in Dreamtime, a bassline made popular by X-dream. You might dislike the COP album, but the time spent in the studio with Jan Muller might very well be what made Dreamtime such a great track.

COP is classic. Heard El Nino on the dance floor recently and it still has that old magic!

You're the guy that says only old nostalgic hippies living in the past would want to listen to most goa trance, no? Who cares if you heard COP on the dance floor recently? If anything that's a reason to dismiss it, being played on dance floors hardly gives music credibility.

You're the guy that says only old nostalgic hippies living in the past would want to listen to most goa trance, no? Who cares if you heard COP on the dance floor recently? If anything that's a reason to dismiss it, being played on dance floors hardly gives music credibility.

normally I don't chime in like this, but I am so sick of all the nonsense in the forums, like people have somehow lost their right to an opinion

or viewpoint without having to take abuse from some crazed fan of (fill in the name of artist/label/track/genre here) who can't stand it if someone else disagrees with their taste (be it good or bad or otherwise)

tired of it so here goes...

@on10

stop being a prick - people are just stating opinion, and here you come with the bashing

play easy would ya?

sheesh

trolls...

Then just ignore it?

I am personally sick of Basilisk and try to speak out against his crap since nobody else is. He runs a site to release psytrance music and has a "goa trance essentials" list that is not really the best music, only the stuff that leads the way to psytrance, and then says that most people wouldn't care to listen to any of the others, and modern free psytrance releases are better. :rolleyes:

You're the guy that says only old nostalgic hippies living in the past would want to listen to most goa trance, no?

Right. I love the classics but recognize that Goa trance spawned a lot of derivative and uninspired rubbish that few people today would want to listen to. What about this notion is so hard for you to understand?

Who cares if you heard COP on the dance floor recently? If anything that's a reason to dismiss it, being played on dance floors hardly gives music credibility.

Haha. We're talking about electronic dance music here, don't you realize? I can't quite recall the specifics but do you ever get out to parties? Do you dance? Or do you just start arguments on the Internet about a musical movement that you weren't around to experience and essentially have no real-world connection to? Look, psychedelic trance is (and has always been) a cultural movement dedicated to bringing people together to dance, laugh, have fun, probe at the depths of the human psyche, and toy with the secrets of the universe. If you ever spent some time going to the events that form the basis of this culture then you at least have an understanding of why the music is the way it is and how it works in the context for which it is designed. If you've never been a part of it then you are like a blind man lecturing others about colour. Internet forums naturally attract people whose only connection to the music is virtual--but this is also why we end up with a lot of people with strange ideas that conflict with everyone else around them. That's fine, and I encourage people to get into the music solely for the sake of the music... but it becomes ludicrous and non-productive when some over-opinionated jerk like yourself stalks around the forum questioning everyone's old school credentials or whatever. You don't get it. You probably don't have the capacity to get it. And you end up fouling a lot of otherwise interesting discussions with your witless prattle. Still, I have to hand it to you--the level of stupidity you sometimes exhibit is truly amazing. Really, now: hearing dance music on a dance floor somehow invalidates its quality? I couldn't make this shit up if I tried.

Haha. We're talking about electronic dance music here, don't you realize?

Any music can be danced too. The fact that people started calling it "electronic dance music" doesn't make it any more dancing or less non-dancing music.

Look, psychedelic trance is (and has always been) a cultural movement dedicated to bringing people together to dance, laugh, have fun, probe at the depths of the human psyche, and toy with the secrets of the universe.

I don't see what the last 2 (probing the human psyche and toying with the secrets of the universe) have to do with it. In fact those are more spiritual activities that may have existed previously in the culture of hippies and goa trance, but hardly exist nowadays in modern psytrance parties, which are mostly devoid of spirituality and closer to rock concerts.

If you ever spent some time going to the events that form the basis of this culture then you at least have an understanding of why the music is the way it is and how it works in the context for which it is designed.

Actually the fact that this music has a high BPM and most people dance to it isn't relevant in the least. There is a LOT more to the music than the high BMP and bassline, something that you fail to understand. You fail to see the artistry behind the music and thus mistake goa trance for outdated garbage and think uncreative releases with better production quality and a louder kick are "essentials".

Really, now: hearing dance music on a dance floor somehow invalidates its quality? I couldn't make this shit up if I tried.

I mean considering the people that go to psytrance parties these days, and considering the musical quality of modern psytrance (=not good), that the COP track is played along with Astrix & Eskimo or whatever else doesn't lend it any credibility. I know a lot of people that go to psytrance parties and most of them think goa trance sucks and listen to Lady Gaga all day.

I don't see what the last 2 (probing the human psyche and toying with the secrets of the universe) have to do with it. In fact those are more spiritual activities that may have existed previously in the culture of hippies and goa trance, but hardly exist nowadays in modern psytrance parties, which are mostly devoid of spirituality and closer to rock concerts.

Hence the statement about you not getting it, nor maybe even having the capacity.

On some levels, in some circles, the whole scene doesn't get it anymore

which so heavily indicated by the loads of unlistenable drivel being produced

and the massive amount of festivals parties and clubs dedicated to playing it.

The very fact that you can't embrace the idea that music transcends dance and culture

and the power of the mind and spiritualism and myriad other things shows that you truly

do not get the whole psy music mentality or lifestyle. There is so much more to the music than the obvious.

But it appears you really just don't get it and want to argue and bicker and make noise.

It's too bad (for you anyway)

Maybe you should seriously consider starting to watch MTV and listen to pop radio hits...

At least this music requires no brainpower (and everyone into it knows this so its not a problem)

Ok, so now I'm being a prick and maybe shouldn't - but in all honesty, this may just be too deep for you.

I really am sorry you don't get it.

Listen to some Brittney or Muse or Timberlake or Flo Ryda today... maybe it will make you feel better.

And what do you know of modern psytrance parties if you never attend? You have no point of reference. Time and again you demonstrate that you lack even a basic understanding of what this culture is all about.

This can change. Why not come out to a party sometime? I seem to recall you're in Canada. And although you might pretend otherwise, I sometimes play old school Goa trance at events across the country. There are a couple of retrodelic parties coming up in November so you have some time to think it through.

Hence the statement about you not getting it, nor maybe even having the capacity.

On some levels, in some circles, the whole scene doesn't get it anymore

which so heavily indicated by the loads of unlistenable drivel being produced

and the massive amount of festivals parties and clubs dedicated to playing it.

The very fact that you can't embrace the idea that music transcends dance and culture

and the power of the mind and spiritualism and myriad other things shows that you truly

do not get the whole psy music mentality or lifestyle. There is so much more to the music than the obvious.

But it appears you really just don't get it and want to argue and bicker and make noise.

Maybe you misunderstood me? :blink: In fact I am calling out Basilisk on these exact grounds: he praises this modern music and thinks older goa trance sucks. He is the one that is assessing the music in terms of dance and culture. My comment that the last 2 didn't fit in was in regards to the modern psy scene and the unlistenable drivel that he so loves.

From my understanding most of the scene today doesn't get this any more (= they are not spiritual people). I am a very spiritual person, and hence detest this scene and the modern psytrance music that it forms around.

"he praises this modern music and thinks older goa trance sucks"

He never said old goa trance sucks and why should he think it's shit? I think he has more knowledge about goa trance than you.

"I am a very spiritual person"

Your elitism doesn't reflect that.

I think there is good and bad music from all time periods. I remain passionate about the old school style even as I enjoy some of the new ideas that are emerging these days. Pretend otherwise if you like but it just makes you look like more of a fool. As for dance and culture--what I'm saying is that this music is part of a greater social movement that you don't seem to be a part of. Your "understanding of the scene today" is non-existent if you have no first-hand knowledge of what it is actually like (and doubly so if you've never experienced a proper psytrance party). What do you base your ideas on? Comments on message boards? This is just the blind leading the blind. How arrogant of you to dismiss everyone involved in this vast social movement as "not spiritual people." You really don't have a clue! :lol:

"he praises this modern music and thinks older goa trance sucks"

He never said old goa trance sucks and why should he think it's shit? I think he has more knowledge about goa trance than you.

"I am a very spiritual person"

Your elitism doesn't reflect that.

:lol:

Let's just say that from my perspective to yours is somewhat like from your perspective to that of an avid Christian. I have experienced all of these perspectives, you've probably only experienced your own and perhaps that of an avid religious person. I hope you can understand my analogy and admit that there can be things you don't understand. :)

I think there is good and bad music from all time periods. I remain passionate about the old school style even as I enjoy some of the new ideas that are emerging these days.

This is a joke, one must only look at your "essentials" list and the type of music you release and promote to see that you are not truly very passionate about the old school style at all.

Pretend otherwise if you like but it just makes you look like more of a fool. As for dance and culture--what I'm saying is that this music is part of a greater social movement that you don't seem to be a part of.

Greater movement eh? Just like the greater movement of people at rock parties, and people who follow the latest celebrity news, and people who sit in taverns every day drinking? Wake up: this is no cultural movement. These are just ordinary people living ordinary lives (quite often in the lowest echelons of society) who are using music to console themselves. I'm not denying that there might have been a movement in the past, or may still be in remoter areas, but psytrance is much too commercialized now.

but psytrance is much too commercialized now.

You're obviously living in a different planet than me.

Psytrance (or more specifically a part of it) may sound more commercialized now, but to us! The psytrance listeners.

Go ask some random guy in the street if he knows psytrance and what his opinion is, before you call psytrance commercialized.

Why did people like goa trance music? And do people like psytrance for the same reason?

If the answer is to dance to, then maybe. If the answer is because of their spirituality (something related to intelligence and consciousness) and finding popular music superficial, then maybe not.