Samples - The Best Users And Biggest Criminals

Tennant

Sorry if there's already a thread about this on page 541, as ever...

Most goa and psy artists like to use samples... so much so that its become an annoying cliché, especially when its a sample about taking drugs, this has been done to death. My opinion on a couple of the main sample users:

Man With No Name, IMO makes best use of samples, at least on Moment of Truth and his Teleport single. They are used sparingly, they are well placed, and always add to the track. The sample in Teleport gives the entire track a suitable theme, and the few samples in Moment of Truth always work and are never repeated - check out 1:50 Floor Essence, the "Mmmm, yeah!" :)

Astral Projection also make good use of samples I reckon - again not used very often, but always making a track memorable. Best tracks in terms of samples for them are Enlightened Evolution and People Can Fly, which probably has the most memorable sample ever in a goa track.

Hallucinogen is a mixed bag when it comes to samples... the LSD samples can't be criticised as cheesiness since he was one of the first to use samples, and they work well. Plus the sort of pathetic second druggy sample by the girl is balanced by her naivety. Shamanix sample is OK, a little pointless though. My favourite sample by him is the Trancespotter one, the shamanic mumblings really add to the track and make it feel evil. His worst track in terms of samples is Deranger IMO which is just cheesy, and Jiggle of the Sphinx depending on whether you dislike celtic music randomly thrown in or not...

Artists like Dimension 5 and CHI-A.D use samples too much but they are very good samples. The top example of this is Astral Warrior, an excellent sample that is repeated about 5 too many times. I'm vacillated about Dimension 5's samples like "observe, end act with clarity" since they fit well but are used too often... if these were used sparingly, their tracks would be much better.

I think we can all agree that 1200 Mics are the biggest criminals in terms of samples... shitty drug samples repeated over and over and over and over again. Sometimes their tracks have a nice melody line (Mescaline), but are ruined by the overuse of samples that just screw over every one of their tracks. I'm not even sure if its supposed to be a joke or not...

So thoughts, other artists you would like to comment on? Is it good to use samples, or just forget them altogether (Koxbox, Pleiadians)? I personally think it is good to use a couple of samples, but never repeat them more than once and make them good :D

Hallucinogen Plus the sort of pathetic second druggy sample by the girl is balanced by her naivety.

You wouldn't happen to be speaking of this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V4K7FepKw4

Hey, heard the Audio Chemists - Big Tits sample? hehe. 'I don't care what anyone thinks, I wanna have big tits'

Stakker - Humanoid Stakker

Uses synthesized speech samples from an oldschool video game, Beserk I think the name is.

S-Range has got some good ones ... mostly they are either pulled from old Neil Armstrong space flight recordings (but they fit perfectly to the theme of that spacey music) or from films, but they mostly fit right in place...

I also like the samples of Silicon Sound a big lot ... they're taken from various computer games (System Shock 2, Unreal 2, Doom 3) and from films such as Final Fantasy (the first one)...

I really like when samples are recordings from films, computer games or other real events. This sort of triggers a thought flash like "hey, I know this, this is from (blahblah)" ... either first-hand (when hearing the song) or second-hand (when coming into contact with the original source of the sample when you haven't known it before). And I admit that I love the second-hand samples much more, because then it's like some flash of enlightenment and a grin in my face when I realize that this is actually the sample from this or that song ... and usually this happens at a totally different place in time, which is cool...

Custom made samples or samples from sample CDs or anything don't have this effect on me ... I can't re-experience the recording in any way at some other point of time and thus I don't like it that much. Kudos to an artist that does his/her own samples for originality, but I like the other way ... at least when it doesn't get too cheesy ... like the blade Runner samples of old, everybody used them, which was just a pain in the ass. For me a sample should be taken from somewhere, but still maintain its originality! And this is actually difficult to achieve...

Also, don't forget Flying Into A Star, by AP. 

"I'm flying into a star.. this is INCREDIBLE!", and then the track kicks in again. Great sample choice.

One of my favs, along with the free lemonade sample on Delta Aquarids.

Generally I find that tracks saturated with samples are the ones I enjoy in the short term, but once I really start to get into an album they quickly become an annoyance and the more 'sample sparse' tracks take over entirely. Generally. As always there are exceptions.

I really like when samples are recordings from films, computer games or other real events. This sort of triggers a thought flash like "hey, I know this, this is from (blahblah)" ... either first-hand (when hearing the song) or second-hand (when coming into contact with the original source of the sample when you haven't known it before). And I admit that I love the second-hand samples much more, because then it's like some flash of enlightenment and a grin in my face when I realize that this is actually the sample from this or that song ... and usually this happens at a totally different place in time, which is cool...

Custom made samples or samples from sample CDs or anything don't have this effect on me ... I can't re-experience the recording in any way at some other point of time and thus I don't like it that much.

My thoughts exactly .... !

Another example of overuse of samples: Space Tribe

im with the cinema samples , this is something that gives the points to the idea of a track

event horizon is a horror movie , tru sci fi blaster was riped off to the samples , the best on was used in astrix - scientific reality