What About A Rating System In The Review Section?

psytones

Hi, wouldn't it be puffy with a rating system for the music releases? Something allá discogs..

Just to remeniss alittle, remember the old site when classic 'must check out' albums was marked in red(?)

So what do you guys think, would be ok right, with some rating stuff

Mod, I guess this would be better off in the Psynews.ORG section, problem is 'You cannot start a new topic' in there.

I think new ratings should be strictly in numbers and percentages : :ph34r:

10 - 20 % - WEAK

20 - 30 % - MILD

30 - 50 % - AVERAGE

50 - 60 % - SOLID

60 - 80 % - STRONG

80 - 100 % - POWERFUL

Example :

BRAINMAN - BRAIN FOOD - 15 %

ETNICA - NITROX - 27 %

TALAMASCA - MUSICA DIVINORUM - 45 %

KOXBOX - THE GREAT UNKNOWN - 60 %

SHAKTA - THE ENLIGHTENED APE - 70 %

INFECTED MUSHROOM - THE GATHERING - 80 %

X-DREAM - RADIO - 80 %

MIDI MILIZ - NON-STANDARDS - 85 %

MFG - PROJECT GENESIS - 90 %

ASTRAL PROJECTION - ANOTHER WORLD - 90 %

HALLUCINOGEN - TWISTED - 95 %

PLEIADIANS - IDENTIFIED FLYING OBJECTS - 97 %

This is actually a good idea. You could vote whether you wrote a review or not. It would also be cool if your forum user name was written next to your vote, so you could eventually get what type of music do certain members dig and all.

Sounds cool to me, it would actually come quite handy if you could rate a release after writting a release, and see how your vote compares to the one of others.

i like the use of percentages, but i have my doubts with a color scheme. the one presented could be more logical. either linear in the choice of colors or more related to the "traffic light" system. you would always have to check what the color means if red is "POWERFUL", but orange is not "STRONG" but "MILD". it would be feasible, that only the "POWERFUL" and "STRONG" releases are highlighted in different colors - i wouldn't really care if an album or EP is "MILD" or "WEAK" - wouldn't check out either of it.

What you could do is everytime you post a review, in your first post, make it a poll

people can vote and it's just like the 1 to 5 rating at discogs. Or better 1-10 :)

^yeah I thought about that as well.

Maybe that wll have to do, but I think psynews is served best with having a rating system in the spirit of Serapth's suggestion.

It will defiently create a certain identety for the review forum.

What you could do is everytime you post a review, in your first post, make it a poll

people can vote and it's just like the 1 to 5 rating at discogs. Or better 1-10 Posted Image

Good idea... Nice and simple, and I would go for the 1-10 sollution :) also to differentiate us from discogs. ;)

Good idea... Nice and simple, and I would go for the 1-10 sollution :) also to differentiate us from discogs. ;)

It is just editing all the previous reviews that would be hard for the admins

It is just editing all the previous reviews that would be hard for the admins

just tried that out: http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?/topic/54706-deviant-electronics-brainwashing-is-childs-play/

i guess it would work to program a script that would change all reviews to a poll, rather than doing all manually.

just tried that out: http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?/topic/54706-deviant-electronics-brainwashing-is-childs-play/

i guess it would work to program a script that would change all reviews to a poll, rather than doing all manually.

let's just hope someone with the ability to do it can see it and agree :rolleyes:

^I'm not planning to change all of my reviews, but I made a tester like PigsInSpace.

Yes please!

IMO the rating option should appear on top of a thread one year after the release of the album/compilation so that allows enough time for people to decide what rating should be accorded.

Infact one should not be able to post a review till one month after any album is released. Early reviews are often not a very good judge of the music, you almost always need time to be able to tell how good the music is. Listening to an album ten times in one week is so different from listening to it ten times over a month.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh yeah a long time ago I wanted to do this Psynews2/3 thing, which would have contained ratings.

With the site as we have it here, you can only rate each others posts I think and there is not much space for customization.

Well, in other words, you need a specificly programmed system (like discogs) to do that.

So, for the moment, all you can follow are these guidelines: http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?/topic/56078-rulesguidelines-for-reviewing/

Please also read that: http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?/topic/52218-thoughts-on-psynews-and-the-review-system/page__p__877421entry877421

And that: http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?/topic/56164-little-reminders/page__view__findpost__p__936301 (3,5 months to go, wish me good luck)

That said, you can't imagine how much I'm sorry I don't have a solution for you right here and now...

There's some kind of 5 star rating system that can be enabled for topics, seen here.

Although I would prefer a percentage scale really.

wouldn't this actually solve the rating question?

just enable this in the review section and state in the rules that the rating is not for the thread per se, but how people think about the release ... doesn't sound like it's that much work or is it?

and when it turns out to be a stupid idea you can still spend time on thinking about a better system!

so?

^ Mars, what do you think?

Good idea, but I think there is a whole story of "quotas" of positive and negative votes per day, so reviewers may be restricted at some point. I'll have to look into it better. There are tons of config options in this new forum.

I'm deep in the sh...allenge of making a decent bestof voting system by the end of the year (check here), so I will queue this in my todolist and I promose I'll give you an answer in decent delays.