Sci-Fi Movies

seraph

71 members have voted

1. 1. Choose 5 Favourite SCI-FI Movies

• Metropolis ( 1927 )
    • The Day The Earth Stood Still ( 1951 )
    • Invasion Of The Body Snatchers ( 1956 )
    • 2001: A Space Odyssey ( 1968 )
    • THX 1138 ( 1971 )
    • Solaris ( 1972 )
    • Soylent Green ( 1973 )
    • Close Encounters Of The Third Kind ( 1977 )
    • Alien ( 1979 )
    • Blade Runner ( 1982 )
    • 2010 ( 1984 )
    • Dune ( 1984 )
    • 1984 ( 1984 )
    • Brazil ( 1985 )
    • Aliens ( 1986 )
    • The Abyss ( 1989 )
    • Twelve Monkeys ( 1995 )
    • The Fifth Element ( 1997 )
    • Dark City ( 1998 )
    • The Matrix ( 1999 )
    • Minority Report ( 2002 )
    • Back To The Future 1 & 2
    • The Terminator 1 & 2
    • Star Trek Series
    • Star Wars Series
    • Andromeda Strain ( 1971 )
    • Event Horizon ( 1997 )
    • Planet of The Apes ( 1968 )
    • Equilibrium ( 2002 )
    • Predator ( 1987 )
    • Gatacca ( 1997 )

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never had the chance to watch Bladerunner, which i know is concidered one of the best sci-fi's ever, so I guess I would place that on the list if I'd seen it :)

Get it somewhere. The right moment to watch this is alone in a more or less darkroom at midnight or after. Maybe try some ambient before you start the movie, some subliminal melancholies, leaving home...

If the mood is right you'll really love it.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of recommendations from me, not all of them are unforgettable but they are worth trying if you 've happened to master all the classics of this genre. But some of them are considered to be among the best sci-fis (Cronenberg's The Fly & Videodrome or Carpenter's The Thing, which is my absolute favourite sci-fi horror + a bunch of anime classics).

I'm not so sure about the Mad Max type of action movies though I'm a sucker for all pre & post-apocalyptic movies. :rolleyes:

Aachi and Ssipak (Achi-wa Ssipak, 2006) - a WTF animated distopy from South Korea -

Akira (1988) - post-apocalyptic anime classic -

Angel's Egg (Tenshi no tamago, 1985) - haunting & beautiful post-apocalyptic movie from Mamoru Oshii -

The Blob (1988) - lots of fun sci-fi horror -

Demon Seed (1977)

Dreamscape (1984)

Fantastic Planet (La planète sauvage, 1973) - may be the most psychedelic sci-fi of all-time -

Fire in the Sky (1993) - OMG that scary alien abduction scene! -

The Fly (1986)

Forbidden Planet (1956)

From Beyond (1986) - a truly lovecraftian vision -

Godzilla (Gojira, 1954)

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Body Snatchers (1993)

Brave New World (1980) - BBC's take on Huxley's classic novel, a faithful adaptation of the the original -

Island of Lost Souls (1932) - 1st ever Dr. Moreau screen adaptation -

The Island of Dr. Moreau (1977) - a little know version, quite enjoyable -

Labyrinth Tales aka. Neo Tokyo (Meikyu monogatari, 1987) - great anime anthology -

Lifeforce (1985) - energy-sucking alien invasion! -

The Martian Chronicles (1980) - TV miniseries -

Memories (Memorizu, 1995) - another great portmanteau anime -

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (Kaze no tani no Naushika, 1984) - again a great post-apocalyptic anime this time from anime maistro Hayao Miyazaki -

O-Bi, O-Ba - The End of Civilization (O-bi, O-ba - Koniec cywilizacji, 1985) - one of the most depressing post-apocalyptic scenarios of all time, an arthouse movie -

Planet of the Vampires (Terrore nello spazio, 1965) - a movie that may inlfuenced Ridley Scott's Alien, from the great Mario Bava -

Silent Running (1972)

Sleeper (1973) - Woody Allen at his best -

Starship Troopers (1997)

Tetsuo aka. Tetsuo, The Ironman (1989) - visually stunning & very disturbing cyberpunk & body horror feature from Japan -

They Live! (1988) - Carpenter's vision of the 1980s' USA, has thriller & dark comedy elements -

The Thing (1982) - it's got everything a sci-fi horror should be about -

The Time Machine (1960) - imo much better than the 2002 action-packed version -

Time Masters (Les Maitres du temps, 1982)

Tremors (1990)

TRON (1982)

V: The Original Miniseries (1983) - it cannot compared to this shitty new ABC show -

Videodrome (1983) - a Cronenberg classic that is way ahead of its time -

Zardoz (1974) - it's highly underrated imo, a really peculiar little distopy -

Yeah, Fantastic Planet is on a level of its own, for sure. One of a kind.

And speaking of Tron, I'm not as excited about the new one coming out as I was two years ago, judging by the newer trailer(s). I think the idea of a new Tron was far more exciting in my mind than the commercialized reality will be. I hope I'm wrong.

• 4 months later...

I voted for:

Matrix

Bladerunner

Alien

Aliens

Here is my suggestions for poll:

Eternal Sunshine Of Spotless Mind

District 9

Moon

The Independance Day

Stargate

Pitch Black

Inception

Donnie Darko

V For Vandetta

The Man From Earth

Children Of Man

Contact

Frequency

• 4 weeks later...

You didn't have any of the great Japanese sci-fi classics like Godzilla, Ghost in the Shell, or Akira so that list is incomplete.

And why did you include movies like the Fifth Element in a greatest of all time poll? :blink:

Ghost in the shell is the best sci-fi. franchise ever, followed closely by Blade Runner imo

• 4 weeks later...

My votes went to:

Aliens

Predator

2001 Space Odyssey

Close Encounters

Matrix

More Sci-Fi films need to be made ASAP!

Even though I know there's going to be nothing new I still scan the Sci-Fi section pretty much every time I go to the video store to rent something.

Bought the Alien Anthology boxset on blu-ray recently. I really enjoyed those movies 5-10 years ago.

I still like the first one a bit. But everything else is really a little shitty and corny.

Aliens looked so fake and bad on the big screen in HD. Couldn't really enjoy all the cheezyness... So I sold the box, guess my alien years are over for sure.

• 8 months later...

Films

2001: A Space Odyssey

A Clockwork Orange

Alien

Altered States

Akira

Spår I Mörker (Beck)

Blade Runner

Brazil

Dune - Seriously

Escape From New York

Fantastic Planet (Laloux's other films are also worth checking out)

Fantastic Voyage

Flash Gordon

Ghost In The Shell

Hardware

Mad Max & The Road Warrior

Metroplis

Naked Lunch

On The Silver Globe

Organ

Robocop

Rubber's Lover

Solaris

Stalker

Tetsuo: The Iron Man

Tetsuo II: Body Hammer

The Element of Crime

The Fly

The Terminator

The Thing

They Live!

Total Recall

Videodrome

World On A Wire

Series

Aeon Flux

Max Headroom

Wild Palms

Not really #1 favorites, but the following Michael Crichton films are pretty good: The Andromeda Strain, Looker & Coma.

Posted Image

Films I haven't seen yet

A Boy and His Dog (vises i Videodromen d. 8 December)

Alphaville

Dark Star

Demon Seed

Fahrenheit 451

La Jetee

Logan's Run

Outland

Seconds

Silent Running

Slaughterhouse-Five

Soylent Green

The Boys from Brazil

The Man Who Fell to Earth

The Omega Man

THX 1138

Westworld

Not to mention all the old USSR Science Fiction films Corman used sfx sequences from.

A couple of Cyberpunk titles have already been mentioned (Akira, Ghost In The Shell etc) but here's a couple more for those who want to dig a bit deeper.

Live Action

Cybertracker

Death Powder

Gunhed

Johnny Mnemonic

Nemesis

Nirvana

Runaway

Trancers

Animation

AD Police

Angelcop

Battle Angel

Bubblegum Crisis

Cyber City Oedo

Goku: The Midnight Eye

Patlabor I & II

Wicked City

I film I'd really like to recommend everybody is Spår I Mörker (Trails In Dark).

Posted Image

I just bought this cult and unique Beck film (a long-running Swedish crime series) during a trip to Gothenburg. It was directed by the danish Cinematographer Martin Arnfred famous for working on Lars Von Trier's Riget (aka The Kingdom) and Breaking The Waves. This was the very first Swedish Cyberpunk film (and maybe the last?) and is by far the best in the Beck series. I won't give away too much, but they used the game Marathon in the film (even though they refer to it as 'Final Doom'). A 'shot em up' game Mac created to compete with ID Software's classic ultra-violent game Doom for PC. Highly recommended.

http://technoeroticism.blogspot.com/2010/12/beck-spar-i-morker-aka-trails-in-dark.html

Wild Palms is a six-hour mini-series, which first aired in May 1993 on the ABC network in the United States. Written by Bruce Wagner, who (with Oliver Stone) was also the executive producer, Wild Palms was a sci-fi drama about the dangers of brainwashing through technology and drugs. It was based on a comic strip written by Wagner and illustrated by Julian Allen first published in 1990 in Details magazine. The mini-series starred James Belushi, Dana Delany, Robert Loggia, and Angie Dickinson. The episodes were directed by four people known more for their feature films: Kathryn Bigelow, Keith Gordon, Peter Hewitt, and Phil Joanou.

Posted Image

Cyberpunk author William Gibson has a cameo appearance as himself. When the author of Neuromancer is introduced as the man who invented the term "Cyberspace", he remarks, "and they won't let me forget it." Oliver Stone also has a cameo, in which he appears as himself - being interviewed on television in 2007 - after the release of files pertinent to the assassination of John F. Kennedy reveal that Stone's film, JFK, was right. Stone also referred to "the late Jack Valenti" in the scene in the 1992 movie. Stone hired musician, body-modification pioneer, and occultist Genesis P-Orridge as a consultant for the series.

And last, but not least - Welt Am Draht (world on a wire)

This is a virtually unknown proto-Cyberpunk 2 part film made for German television back in 1973. The story of the film was based on Daniel F. Galouye's book Simulacron-3 from 1964. The same book and it's virtual reality theme later inspired Larry and Andy Wachowski's Cyberpunk blockbuster The Matrix.

Posted Image

Simulacron 1 is the most important project in the institute for cybernetics and futurology – an electronic monster that is supposed to elevate conventional computer technology to a new level. Once it functions, Simulacron will be able to predict future social, economic, and political occurrences as precisely as though they were reality. Thus, Simulacron is a least interesting for two parties: those who are interested in improving future life conditions and those who hope for information privileges vis-à-vis their competitors. This could, for instance, concern the aluminum market. Professor Vollmer (Adrian Hoven) is the initiator and the head of the research project.

Posted Image

He dies under mysterious circumstances – the common opinion is that he committed suicide as he showed peculiar signs of a bizarre mental disturbance just prior to his death. Siskins (Karl-Heinz Vosgerau), almighty boss of the institute, makes Dr. Stiller (Klaus Löwitsch), the closest associate of the deceased, Vollmer’s successor. But soon, the colleagues notice odd symptoms in Stiller as well: He claims that the institute’s head of security, Günther Lause (Ivan Desny), has vanished without trace, whereas everyone knows that his name is Hans Edelkern (Joachim Hansen) and that he is as happy as a clam. Stiller also talks about an attempt to murder him – but it is obvious that this was a completely normal accident. Dr. Stiller also opposes his superior Siskins’ intention to pass special Simulacron predictions to private people in advance. It appears that Stiller’s nerves are not sufficiently strong for the type of pressure his new job entails. He gets nauseous, does not recognize people, and instead talks of people nobody apart from him knows. Stiller tries to forget his Simulacron-related problems. For him, Simulacron is not just a lifeless machine but a kind of miniature universe. Although he knows very well that the so-called identity units in Simulacron are nothing but the result of complex electronic procedures, the units sometimes appear like real people to him. And they are indeed based on humans. Because they are programmed to make precise predictions about real people’s behavior, they may not be different from them.

Posted Image

Is Stiller schizophrenic? This is exactly what many believe – until one day, during a routine transfer, Stiller’s conscience gets entangled into the circuits of Simulacron where he believes to meet an old acquaintance again: Günther Lause, the institute of cybernetics’ and futurology’s head of security. Of the latter everyone except Stiller claims that he has never existed. World on a Wire neither plays here nor anywhere else, it is not placed in the present but not in the past or the future either. World on a Wire takes place in an artificial world and in an artificial time – it is a fiction, a hypothesis, a plan for further discussion, no more. And no less.

A couple of recommendations from me, not all of them are unforgettable but they are worth trying if you 've happened to master all the classics of this genre. But some of them are considered to be among the best sci-fis (Cronenberg's The Fly & Videodrome or Carpenter's The Thing, which is my absolute favourite sci-fi horror + a bunch of anime classics).

I'm not so sure about the Mad Max type of action movies though I'm a sucker for all pre & post-apocalyptic movies. :rolleyes:

Aachi and Ssipak (Achi-wa Ssipak, 2006) - a WTF animated distopy from South Korea -

Akira (1988) - post-apocalyptic anime classic -

Angel's Egg (Tenshi no tamago, 1985) - haunting & beautiful post-apocalyptic movie from Mamoru Oshii -

The Blob (1988) - lots of fun sci-fi horror -

Demon Seed (1977)

Dreamscape (1984)

Fantastic Planet (La planète sauvage, 1973) - may be the most psychedelic sci-fi of all-time -

Fire in the Sky (1993) - OMG that scary alien abduction scene! -

The Fly (1986)

Forbidden Planet (1956)

From Beyond (1986) - a truly lovecraftian vision -

Godzilla (Gojira, 1954)

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Body Snatchers (1993)

Brave New World (1980) - BBC's take on Huxley's classic novel, a faithful adaptation of the the original -

Island of Lost Souls (1932) - 1st ever Dr. Moreau screen adaptation -

The Island of Dr. Moreau (1977) - a little know version, quite enjoyable -

Labyrinth Tales aka. Neo Tokyo (Meikyu monogatari, 1987) - great anime anthology -

Lifeforce (1985) - energy-sucking alien invasion! -

The Martian Chronicles (1980) - TV miniseries -

Memories (Memorizu, 1995) - another great portmanteau anime -

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (Kaze no tani no Naushika, 1984) - again a great post-apocalyptic anime this time from anime maistro Hayao Miyazaki -

O-Bi, O-Ba - The End of Civilization (O-bi, O-ba - Koniec cywilizacji, 1985) - one of the most depressing post-apocalyptic scenarios of all time, an arthouse movie -

Planet of the Vampires (Terrore nello spazio, 1965) - a movie that may inlfuenced Ridley Scott's Alien, from the great Mario Bava -

Silent Running (1972)

Sleeper (1973) - Woody Allen at his best -

Starship Troopers (1997)

Tetsuo aka. Tetsuo, The Ironman (1989) - visually stunning & very disturbing cyberpunk & body horror feature from Japan -

They Live! (1988) - Carpenter's vision of the 1980s' USA, has thriller & dark comedy elements -

The Thing (1982) - it's got everything a sci-fi horror should be about -

The Time Machine (1960) - imo much better than the 2002 action-packed version -

Time Masters (Les Maitres du temps, 1982)

Tremors (1990)

TRON (1982)

V: The Original Miniseries (1983) - it cannot compared to this shitty new ABC show -

Videodrome (1983) - a Cronenberg classic that is way ahead of its time -

Zardoz (1974) - it's highly underrated imo, a really peculiar little distopy -

Great list! A bunch I forgot to mention, especially Angel's Egg, Brave New World, Lifeforce, Planet of The Vampires, Sleeper, V, Zardoz and a couple I haven't even seen. O-Bi, O-Ba - The End of Civilization sounds really interesting.

The Brain From Planet Arous could make for a fun psy-sample drinking game. ;)

Others I didn't see on the list:

Liquid Sky. Interesting low-budget eighties flick, kind of a satire on the post punk electronic music scene. There are aliens but they're secondary to the 'plot', which is essentially crazy doings by crazy people. Nihilistic, but a fun film.

Enemy Mine. Another good B movie from around the same period, with an unusual plot and some nice atmospheric touches.

Dreamcatcher. One of the oddest movies I've ever seen. Scatological comedy meets alien body horror meets supernatural fantasy and... I don't even know. It's just odd.

Wonderful Days, a Korean animated film, really impressed me with its visuals, themes, emotions and message. A lot of people will say that it lacks in story but I thought the film had a real heart to it.

A Tree Of Palme, although demanding to watch (it's long, angst filled, and at times very obscure), has stayed with me more than any other animated film. SF/art-house anime with some fantasy touches.

Also while I'm mentioning anime, the animated Metropolis, Jin-Roh, A Wind Named Amnesia, and the two Vampire Hunter D movies (setting is science fiction) are all worth checking out.

The Quiet Earth! How could I forget that one!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089869/

"wonderful human beings" :)

Wild Palms is a six-hour mini-series, which first aired in May 1993 on the ABC network in the United States. Written by Bruce Wagner, who (with Oliver Stone) was also the executive producer, Wild Palms was a sci-fi drama about the dangers of brainwashing through technology and drugs. It was based on a comic strip written by Wagner and illustrated by Julian Allen first published in 1990 in Details magazine. The mini-series starred James Belushi, Dana Delany, Robert Loggia, and Angie Dickinson. The episodes were directed by four people known more for their feature films: Kathryn Bigelow, Keith Gordon, Peter Hewitt, and Phil Joanou

I liked Wild Palms. It gets a bit cheesy and overdramatic at times but it's cool.