Sci-Fi Movies

seraph

71 members have voted

1. 1. Choose 5 Favourite SCI-FI Movies

• Metropolis ( 1927 )
    • The Day The Earth Stood Still ( 1951 )
    • Invasion Of The Body Snatchers ( 1956 )
    • 2001: A Space Odyssey ( 1968 )
    • THX 1138 ( 1971 )
    • Solaris ( 1972 )
    • Soylent Green ( 1973 )
    • Close Encounters Of The Third Kind ( 1977 )
    • Alien ( 1979 )
    • Blade Runner ( 1982 )
    • 2010 ( 1984 )
    • Dune ( 1984 )
    • 1984 ( 1984 )
    • Brazil ( 1985 )
    • Aliens ( 1986 )
    • The Abyss ( 1989 )
    • Twelve Monkeys ( 1995 )
    • The Fifth Element ( 1997 )
    • Dark City ( 1998 )
    • The Matrix ( 1999 )
    • Minority Report ( 2002 )
    • Back To The Future 1 & 2
    • The Terminator 1 & 2
    • Star Trek Series
    • Star Wars Series
    • Andromeda Strain ( 1971 )
    • Event Horizon ( 1997 )
    • Planet of The Apes ( 1968 )
    • Equilibrium ( 2002 )
    • Predator ( 1987 )
    • Gatacca ( 1997 )

And he didn't have any super powers. :unsure:

But he did....

He could hold a guy in the air with one arm, he did that with Capa, he also get's stabbed in the neck without dying, or even feeling the pain, also he was exposed to 100% sunrays when Capa pulled the switch, and he survived all that, and to be capable of tolerating such intense sunray exposure you must at least have some supernatural powers.

Maybe my view is wrong, or maybe I just miss some fantasy to accept this guy, I dunno, I just didn't like it.

I might watch it again some day.

Sorry for the off-topic...

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody likes Star Trek movies?

I think most of 'm aren't that good, although still fun to watch. But First Contact was different. Finally, they did it right with this one. It has everything that makes Star Trek so enjoyable, the fun, drama, action, humor.. and the Borg.

I'm a sucker for the series (that is, only TNG/DS9/VOY) so maybe that's why I like it. It had some very memorable scenes and cool moments... with Picard, Data, Worf and Borg Queen as the best of the bunch. I totally love this movie.

THE LINE MUST BE DRAWN HERE!!!

ASSIMILATE THIS!! :D

P.S. I haven't seen the new one yet

Nobody likes Star Trek movies?

I think most of 'm aren't that good, although still fun to watch. But First Contact was different. Finally, they did it right with this one. It has everything that makes Star Trek so enjoyable, the fun, drama, action, humor.. and the Borg.

I'm a sucker for the series (that is, only TNG/DS9/VOY) so maybe that's why I like it. It had some very memorable scenes and cool moments... with Picard, Data, Worf and Borg Queen as the best of the bunch. I totally love this movie.

THE LINE MUST BE DRAWN HERE!!!

ASSIMILATE THIS!! :D

P.S. I haven't seen the new one yet

The new one is amazing!

I haven't had such fun at cinemas in a long time.

I'm not sure though as a trekkie you're gonna like it that much. Many hardcore trekkies seem to dislike it, but IMO was kick ass.

And First Contact is indeed good.

I have vague memories of a fairly recent scifi movie. I started out ok but then it got bad. About some guy and girl who escaped from a futuristic underground city where nobody was allowed to have emotions? Something like that.

Hmm no it's not Equilibrium, I'm mixing things up.

edit: Ah it's 'The Island'. Pretty much forgettable so it seems.

Oh, Sunshine, really?

That movie where they travel to the sun and want to activate it again with a huge bomb,and then some guy turns into a sunburned super-mutant with supernatural powers because he got radiated too much by pure sunbeams? (fucking lame)

Yes, really. It's as fucking lame and stupid as a TON of other sci-fi movies, but in this case, you just didn't like it and are singling it out.

Any opinion on the new cameron then? AVATAR?

It will be awesome.

Yes, really. It's as fucking lame and stupid as a TON of other sci-fi movies, but in this case, you just didn't like it and are singling it out.

It will be awesome.

<_<

Probably, yes, it's fun to bitch about something, you know?

(you actually do know...)

Voted for:

Metropolis

Alien

Aliens

Blade Runner

The Abyss

12 Monkeys

Dark City (often overlooked for some reason :\)

Back to the Future

T1 & T2

Predator

man... I could easily vote for every movie on that list

Though I feel some movies are missing, like:

Forbidden Planet (1956)(!!!) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049223/

The War of the Worlds (1953) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046534/

Stargate (1994) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111282/

Cube (1997) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123755/

Rollerball (1975) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073631/

Sphere (1998) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120184/

Yea War or the Worlds (1953) should have been on that list. Too often it is dismissed as just old sci-fi, but the movie is awesome as far as I remember, better than half the movies on your list. The original War of the Worlds is a true classic movie.

I'd say The Matrix is #1 but I've only seen half that list so far, excluding some of the most famous and revered ones like 2001.

I doubt many 1980s movie will have an effect on me like The Matrix though.

The only exception I know so far is Brazil (1985), which is quite good, but not really sci-fi.

there's still a lot I must see

Serenity. Pitch Black. Among others. Don't think they were mentioned. Worth it?

Serenity is great if you've seen the Firefly series first - it basically wraps up a prematurely, regretfully, canceled TV series. Pitch Black is definitely a worthwhile experience. The follow-up, Chronicles of Riddick, is also quality, although I suspect some would say not so. Not super-cerebral, but tough, action-oriented sci-fi with high production.

BTW, I loved Sunshine. I was skeptical of the ending the first time, but the second and third time made much more sense. I guess it grows on you.

1: Aliens

2:Terminator 2 (and T1)

3:Starwars series

4:Alien

5the mist (Why didn't you put that on the list? ) :lol:

I've never had the chance to watch Bladerunner, which i know is concidered one of the best sci-fi's ever, so I guess I would place that on the list if I'd seen it :)

Serenity is great if you've seen the Firefly series first - it basically wraps up a prematurely, regretfully, canceled TV series. Pitch Black is definitely a worthwhile experience. The follow-up, Chronicles of Riddick, is also quality, although I suspect some would say not so. Not super-cerebral, but tough, action-oriented sci-fi with high production.

BTW, I loved Sunshine. I was skeptical of the ending the first time, but the second and third time made much more sense. I guess it grows on you.

I agree with everything you said.

• 2 months later...

It is really a shame that such rich and descriptive genre rarely gets properly presented nowadays, relying entirely on CGI techniques, with no substance, cause whole genre back in the days, when sci-fi genre was progressing, with low budgets and ambitious ideas, was starting to set the standards for the new and modern sci-fi genre.

There are only few of the new films that can redefine that genre nowadays, and that is a shame, cause now, when we have technology, we should make good stories right.

You could try 'Primer'. It isn't completely out of the box or mind blowing, but its very good for a budget of $7000 and it fits your "low budgets" & "ambitious ideas" criterion :) Its also hard SF if thats what you like.

Just in case you haven't seen it, another recent film that has some depth and good themes is District 9.

Does 'Pi' come under SF? Guess not. And are you sure 'The Fifth Element' should be on this poll? I thought it was ridiculous.

I completely agree with you otherwise, less Space Opera and more depth please!

From what I have seen,

1. Bladerunner - nothing comes close

2. 2001, A Space Odyssey - beautiful montages, it gives you a real feel of travelling in space, of how it is 'out there'

3. Metropolis - has to be in the top 5, way ahead of its time - its influences are evident in later films like Bladerunner.

4. Alien

5. Twelve Monkeys - extremely disorienting you can feel what Bruce Willis' character is feeling. Its a crazy take on time travel, and has very good acting.

Other good ones : Gattaca/The Day the Earth Stood Still/The Matrix

• 2 months later...

The mist is more horror really. Predator doesn't really count either. Alien I think yes but predator no. I haven't seen blade runner btw. Wiki thinks the time travellers wife is sci fi, that was a great film but I don't think it's sci fi at all really. Have seen solaris a while ago and remember it was good but not quite how good, so can't really put it on there although it was probably around about the abyss.

1. The matrix

2. Dune

3. The animatrix (not on list)

4. Appleseed ex machina (not on list)

5. Twelve monkeys

6. Moon (not on list!)

7. 2001

8. Alien

9. Pitch black (not on list)

10. A clockwork orange (not on list)

11. The chronicles of riddick (not on list)

12. District 9 (not on list)

13. Brazil

14. Independence Day (at the very least for the many tracks that have sampled it!) (not on list)

15. Serenity (not on list)

16. Red planet (not on list)

17. Starship troopers (not on list)

18. The abyss

19. Metropolis

Somewhere down but definitely worth seeing

Virtuosity, definitely deserves a mention though,

Flash Gordon

The fifth element

Event Horizon :rolleyes:

I wanted to put Event Horizon, but didn't quite fullfilled the cult status, but it is still very good film.

Sure is cult (for me and my friends anyway)... I still remember the first time I saw this, high as a kite, and it totally freaked me out! It really masters the "lost in space feeling"! A recent movie that reminds me of Event Horizon is Pandorum, actually a pretty good sci-fi-horror movie, and again it helps to be kind of keef!

• 3 months later...

1: Aliens

2:Terminator 2 (and T1)

3:Starwars series

4:Alien

5the mist (Why didn't you put that on the list? ) :lol:

I've never had the chance to watch Bladerunner, which i know is concidered one of the best sci-fi's ever, so I guess I would place that on the list if I'd seen it :)

The mist isn't sci fi, just because there's a sci fi explanation for monsters doesn't mean it's particularly sci fi.