District 9

Redington

I give this movie 9/10.

I recommend it a lot.

Little summary (IF YOU DON'T WANT LITTLE SPOILERS THAN STOP READING):

An alien race fled their homeward for some reason I forget and get stuck on earth (over Johannesburg in South Africa) because they ran outta fuel.

Humans make contact and basically put them in the area what is called District 9 for no better solution at the time. The movie starts to take place 20 years after the aliens first came. Right at the time the MNU (big multi-national corporation who are a big arms production company also) starts evicted the aliens from District 9 into an already made internment camp called District 10.

A good portion of the movie is filmed in a documentary-type style but they made it look good. The CGI was amazing in it's on right. The action was great and a little gory since the character named Wikus Van De Merwe is put in charge of eviction operation. He's pretty much the main character and he goes to each "house" to get the aliens (who are dubbed "prawns" because of the likeness, it's also acts as a slur towards them as well) to sign the eviction papers.

If you've seen the previews for the movie, you know that Wikus discovers a type of chemical lab set-up in one of the houses. They find a little black cylinder container and Wikus get's sprayed with some kind of black-substance. This will come into play later but I won't spoil that because it turns into pretty much the pivital point in the movie.

Anyway, I won't go into any it any further, you have to see for yourself. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I will have to say, the movie is fairly predictable, there's pretty much no plot twists that I didn't see coming. So if you're looking for surprises, you'll be a little disappointed.

And that's it. I like plot twists so I think I'll wait for this to come out on video (also 'cus I'm broke).

Not that I don't want it to do well, I love science fiction and want to see more high-buget sci-fi movies made.

(I like plot twists so) I think I'll wait for this to come out on video (also 'cus I'm broke).

Not that I don't want it to do well, I love science fiction and want to see more high-buget sci-fi movies made.

d.i.TTo

And that's it. I like plot twists so I think I'll wait for this to come out on video (also 'cus I'm broke).

There's more too it than my summary. I don't want to give too much away or it'll spoil the movie.

District 9 is very much a theater-worthy title... I wouldn't miss it, or wait for it to be quite honest. One of the best blockbuster movies I have seen in a long time... and in terms of twists, there are definitely some surprises and a lot of irony and character development in the way they movie plays out. It deserves the critical acclaim it is getting right now in every right.

• 3 weeks later...

Damn it's good. I only saw a crappy cam rip, but that's enough to evaluate the story, acting etc. Unlike majority of reviewers on imdb.com, I was not stunned by the plot, because it is nothing new or extraordinary, but important thing is that the way it is all portrayed makes it seem very realistic, like it could have happened in real life: this is more a study of human behavior, his attitude in face of danger, uncertaintity, an unknown, etc. The way the main character changed his attitude towards aliens is one of the strongest points of the movie, along with CGI which are not offensive, but simply very good and believable. It is also good there's no well-known actors in it and the ones that play did their job really well.

In short, one of the better sci-fi movies I saw in recent years.

Damn it's good. I only saw a crappy cam rip,

how can you do that with your self, it's a shame, man :P Honestly though, I can't bare to watch those crappy versions.

patience 2 watch when arriving in good picture/sound qality.

tsk tsk antic, tsk

how can you do that with your self, it's a shame, man :P Honestly though, I can't bare to watch those crappy versions.

patience 2 watch when arriving in good picture/sound qality.

tsk tsk antic, tsk

Well, I have wife and two kids so you can imagine I don't get to see the movies I want: either it is some romantic comedy or cartoons. That's why torrents is the only way for me, and so far only cam rip was available and I couldn't resist after reading reviews on imdb.com. Usually though, I'm also waiting for DVD-rips.

hehe ok, but still man, patience for a better Torrent, thats all ,)

...said the guy who sold his soul to isratrance.com in exchange for free CDs... ;):D

j/k mate, love your reviews :)

Well, I have wife and two kids so you can imagine I don't get to see the movies I want: either it is some romantic comedy or cartoons. That's why torrents is the only way for me, and so far only cam rip was available and I couldn't resist after reading reviews on imdb.com. Usually though, I'm also waiting for DVD-rips.

It's the R5 that is available... It's almost dvdrip quality. (1400mb version)

Saw it today. :)

Movie will be in the cinema's here in one month...

One of the best sci-fi movies I've seen in a very long time. Realistic atmosphere, great character-development and some excellent laughs here and there. The laughs luckily aren't cheap and overdone as in the horrible Terminator-movies though.

Refreshing sci-fi movie in a while I'll admit, but unfortunately the characters don't develop very much, especially the aliens. I guess what it fails the most at, is the mystery. There is none. Or rather, it's not presented well enough.

6.5/10 from me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

7/10. Interesting.

Great animation by the way. Can anyone tell me a movie with better animation...? :blink:

Great guns. Cool sounding aliens. Horrible main character but that's allright. OK ending. I want district 10!

Horrible main character but that's allright. OK ending. I want district 10!

What you mean? The actor was horrible, or the character he was portraying?

Can't agree with neither BTW :)

7/10. Interesting.

Great animation by the way. Can anyone tell me a movie with better animation...? :blink:

Great guns. Cool sounding aliens. Horrible main character but that's allright. OK ending. I want district 10!

I didn't think the CGI was the best I've ever seen. Sometimes the prawns looked a little weird when they ran across the garbage. But this movie was not about the CGI---like Star Wars, Transformers, Star Trek and those other crap movies. District 9 was awesome!

I watched it yesterday nd it was really good and different.

The story has some plotholes or maybe it was just me? I'm planning to watch it when it finally comes on cinemas and I hope I'll understand more.

The whole portrayal of alien vs humans was very realistic, cause if aliens like the prawns do visit Earth this is exactly what this garbage race (yeah I mean humans) will do to them. Fuck humanity!

The cgi was extremelly good for a 30 million dollars budget.

But I feel it's a bit overrated, since many call it best sci-fi movies in decades or one of the best ever.

I disagree with that, yet I though it was very good. 8/10

I give this movie 9/10.

I recommend it a lot.

Little summary (IF YOU DON'T WANT LITTLE SPOILERS THAN STOP READING):

An alien race fled their homeward for some reason I forget and get stuck on earth (over Johannesburg in South Africa) because they ran outta fuel.

Humans make contact and basically put them in the area what is called District 9 for no better solution at the time. The movie starts to take place 20 years after the aliens first came. Right at the time the MNU (big multi-national corporation who are a big arms production company also) starts evicted the aliens from District 9 into an already made internment camp called District 10.

A good portion of the movie is filmed in a documentary-type style but they made it look good. The CGI was amazing in it's on right. The action was great and a little gory since the character named Wikus Van De Merwe is put in charge of eviction operation. He's pretty much the main character and he goes to each "house" to get the aliens (who are dubbed "prawns" because of the likeness, it's also acts as a slur towards them as well) to sign the eviction papers.

If you've seen the previews for the movie, you know that Wikus discovers a type of chemical lab set-up in one of the houses. They find a little black cylinder container and Wikus get's sprayed with some kind of black-substance. This will come into play later but I won't spoil that because it turns into pretty much the pivital point in the movie.

Anyway, I won't go into any it any further, you have to see for yourself. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I will have to say, the movie is fairly predictable, there's pretty much no plot twists that I didn't see coming. So if you're looking for surprises, you'll be a little disappointed.

Ive seen it.. funny funny