Neo Trance is the new Psytrance

Laserflip

Maybe I am getting old, but I feel hella young, and at the very height of my powers at this very moment!

I was just using a dumb metaphor, luckily in Zagreb it is impossible to stay out all night and be exposed to jumpstyle/speedcore, and I really don't want to imagine such a scene.

Naturally I have attended a few good minimal parties (more bad experiences than good ones though), but my point is that I just find that stuff not engaging enough. That's all!

Haha yeah it seemed like a pretty terrible scenario! I think that is /was only possible in Holland?!

About the engaging part I agree to some degree, that it never really takes of and brings it to that next intensity level, but I guess that is sort of the whole point, and the climax in the music is just so much more subtle which I actually really like! For this to work production- and true creative skills is a must and not all has this indeed and the music becomes utterly boring after 5-10 min. But I think mixed parties are the best were u can go to another room and let the dance devil go crazy to some regular powerful climaxes once in a while :P Just my thoughts!

I will never understand why the word "psy" is still being used?

That is the big question, that I don't understand too. ;)

Because for some people is everything psychedelic.

Neo Trance is Psytrance. Posted Image

Jumpstyle is Psytrance. :lol:

Hands-Up Trance is Psytrance. Posted Image

Scooter is Psytrance. :lol:

and so on.

Does it really matter if it's psychedelic or not? Good music is what it's all about for me personally, and that whole elitist "this or that is/isn't psychedelic" is so old and bores me to death. It was exactly the same discussion with the minimal-wave back around the millenium, as well as with all the Astrix-clones after his debut album. Psychedelia is all subjective anyways.

Does it really matter if it's psychedelic or not? Good music is what it's all about for me personally, and that whole elitist "this or that is/isn't psychedelic" is so old and bores me to death. It was exactly the same discussion with the minimal-wave back around the millenium, as well as with all the Astrix-clones after his debut album. Psychedelia is all subjective anyways.

yeah, It can't be any  more annoying

ok,

when the new so called new morning fullon entered main streamed in 2002-2003 some started called it neo fullon,

2 years laters the name disappeared and now it's back containing totally different artist ?

it was called neo - fullon,

what's up with the neo stuff Posted Image

I know this is not a constructive opinion, and some people might put me down for being so direct and bold, but I think this whole neo trance movement is really boring.

I have been into electronic music long enough to have witnessed the demise and birth of many styles, genres and trends, but this has to be the worst I've heard yet. If I remember correctly, while a youth, I used to have more respect for speedcore and jumpstyle back when that was relatively fashionable, but this is just so disengaging I can't imagine going to a party where this stuff would be played for the whole night.

Not that I mean disrespect to anybody, I just cannot relate to this music at all.

yeah, its just pretty boring, i mean its well done and all, but i agree, i find it pretty boring

Not at all, and just because it's called psy doesn't neccessarily mean it will be psychedelic :ph34r:

+1

For me psychadelic music doesnt have to be psychadelic in the hallucinogen's or shpongle way. For me psy is any electronica music that i try to analyse (i hope you know what i mean by this expression), but even tough i listen really carefully to the music, too much is going on, its too complicated to fully understand every little details. Electronica that i try to follow one melodie or one bass line, but changes so often that i lose the map, this is my defenition of psy

while trance is pretty obvious melodies, with a pretty clear bass line...etc.

So psy music doesnt have to contain hardcore modified sounds with big special effect to be put in the psychadelic style, but it helps. But the problem now, is that some full-on artist, or whatever israel is bringing on, makes some crazy sounds, the quality now is almost everytime top notch, but it is not enough complex, not enough changes.

well it does matter for me, if any electronica music is not enough complex, well it bores me

illl take minilogue for example, and everything he does, i understand what he did. i mean, i do music, and i understand that he uses for example a reverb, and a delay ect.

what i like about psychadelic, is the feeeling like WOWWWWWW how he did that, and minilogue doesnt do that for me

well it does matter for me, if any electronica music is not enough complex, well it bores me

illl take minilogue for example, and everything he does, i understand what he did. i mean, i do music, and i understand that he uses for example a reverb, and a delay ect.

what i like about psychadelic, is the feeeling like WOWWWWWW how he did that, and minilogue doesnt do that for me

Guess it's definitely personal taste then. I tend to be quite picky with minimal, however I do like shiva chandra (haven't heard minologue or a lot of others).

I definitely disagree, there can be a fairly simple piece written on piano but if it's written really well it's still great.

Guess it's definitely personal taste then. I tend to be quite picky with minimal, however I do like shiva chandra (haven't heard minologue or a lot of others).

I definitely disagree, there can be a fairly simple piece written on piano but if it's written really well it's still great.

of course lol, beautiful music is great, but what define psy for me, is what i explained above. i didnt said that simple piano melodies is not nice, but in the electronica scene, i dont search for simple melodies, If i want a simple melodie, ill go search it, in jazz for example.

And honestly, besides ambient, trance, psy, and idm, i dont really know myself in other sphere of electronica, but i never heard something really simple that i loved, besides tycho.

what do you recommend for good and simple and great melodies in electronica?

I will never understand why the word "psy" is still being used?

because it's cooooool, maaaan B)

probably

It's all very dumb anyway ... the kind of music does not really serve as a degree of measurement of how psychedelic it is ... even noise can be psychedelic. Rock too. Doesn't matter.

It's just cool to be psy. Gives ye the impression that ye are different! Underground, man! Oh yay.

Makes me wanna do a facepalm.

But the "psy" keyword has lost its original meaning for me (that the stuff is psychedelic) and has developed to a marker for me that says "this stuff could maybe interest you"...