Blue Planet Corporation - A blueprint for survival

frozen dream

Posted Image

Woohoo! Where to begin with this massive second release from DAT Records? Bringing us the old back catalogue of Gabriel Masurel and others on the BPC project was surely a clever plan! We get the old trancey atmospheres along with classic goa trance elements in one wicked 2CD ride! BPC is not my favourite oldschool project but it has a unique, sometimes more classic-trance inspired sound, combined with very trippy and beautiful melodies, which have interested me since my discovery of them. Let's see what this double-cd packed with retro tunes offers...

CD1 Underground French Kommunication Years 1993-1994

01 Intro 0:07
Crazy to think these tracks are all this old actually, they should 've had more attention no? The intro offers nothing more than some synthesized voice saying "blue planet corporation". A joke? Pointless...

02 Overbloody Flood 7:50
Let's start with a well known tune from them, probably the first tune that settled their reputation. Much like many other tracks, more trance than goatrance for this one. Some uber-shiny trance-riff makes out the signature sound of this track. Not their best but I guess it holds an honorable mention for the avid (regular) trance fans.

03 Midian 7:00
Next is more trance, with a very muddy distorted kick, pure blasphemy in terms of musical production! Luckily the other riffs take it away a bit but it creates an obstacle to really liking the song in it's whole. As said, it's really a trance song, with typical wide open melodies and no real baseline present. Not a bad song but not a super song either.

04 Genetic 6:54
Special tune this one, but again more trance, dreamy melodies and enchanting pads with no real bassline present, still very nice and very BPC! One of the better compositions on this cd.

05 Juno Satellite 9:08
Deep space goa trance, although I'd swear I've heard this exact kind of melody and sound in an OOOD track before. Guess BPC was the first one to use it after all so no hard feelings. :P Nice vocal sounds in the end, but this is one of those tracks that gets it's great sounds and riffs ruined by repetitiveness.

06 Psychonaut 10:07
Great intro, near the half the theme-melodies begin, they're pretty repetitive and not that interesting imo, sounds like one of those crossover trance tracks to pave the way for typical goa trance music, some typical sounds from house and other scenes can be heard in this one, not a very special track.

07 Lubianka 10:54
Ah yeah! This is the stuff! The track previously released as Lubiantia I presume, maybe the name change is more in line with paying tribute to the ex-KGB state prison?? (called Lubyanka) Well,... Beautiful ambient layers guide in, some very heavy resonating synth plays a simple riff, then the lunar civilization bassline! Yeah! Very controlled and groovy. Then a break follows, from here on the track seems to go nowhere until it picks up the stuff from the beginning and we get a nice moving end climax with the psychotic melody, yet ruined by an abrupt fade out of the melody?? Don't understand why that choice was made... good stuff inside but it could 've gotten out better...

08 Hemo Static+Overbloody Flood 10:32
Crazy upbeat track, the tempo must be dangling at about 150 minimum for this one! :D More nice trance layers and a breakbeat-rhythm part are very funky and aggressive. Wobbling acid and the breaks stutter hectically on, then, a sudden melody breaks it all... I really like these abrupt interruptions and BPC usually makes nice trippy deep-traveling melodies in the scale as in this track. Then some sturdy composition changes and another key-melody fades in slowly; the overbloody flood one, this track is a sort of live mix I presume, it's pretty hectic with distorted acid lines and then we have the overbloody flood melody once more before it fades out...

09 Generator 7:01
Already have this one from the Vol.3 vinyl, a very nice and deeply hypnotic piece of trance. I'd say the first part is more rhythmic and the second more melodic, it's basically all what goa trance is about!!! Comparing it with the version on the Vol. 3 vinyl and the version from History of trance 3 I'd say it's still better than the vinyl version off course (this doesn't mean per se it performs better at higher levels) but not as good as the one on HOT3, though not much less in overall performance.

10 Aquablue 10:16
Another pure trippin' vinyl tune! Starts with an acid line screeching in, rolls into an ominous break and continues it, then there's a small atmo change, all in all a very full track with lots of stuff going around, you don't feel like ending the album with this :D let's pop in the next disc...

favs: 4,7,8,9,10

CD2 Unreleased Tracks 1993-1994

01 Intro 0:07
Yay, it says Blue Planet Corporation again, that is só supèrcool!

02 Hemo Static II 9:40
Alright, still hoping to get served for my buck and goa trance need there is Hemo Static II. A very nice moving piece of trance leads and acid lines, if not a bit bland in composition, feels like listening trance from '94 or something. Still, nice effort into creating an entrancing experience!

03 Telekinetic 7:52
Hmm sounds interesting, pretty psychedelic track! Another mesmerizing BPC melody as main synthwork and various organic touches with background leads, not a super track, but a very nice effort again!

04 Sub Sonic Underground 7:46
More hypno work from mr. Masurel, again no real huge melody or elements that stick out, rather a solid building trip into the final dance climax, which is quite nice! No exquisite compo or feelings again though...

05 Barocco 7:18
Nice and groovy track, has a gentle morning vibe to it like so many other of their works. It's basically the same melody all the time with some breaks, and some variation and extensions to the main lead. One of the nicer on this second cd.

06 Goa Disco 6:31
Pretty upbeat this one, with uplifting melodies. Very simple vibe in this track, it's even to be called irritating and horribly cheesy, let's skip it for now.

07 Restore Hope 5:55
This is supposed to be an EBM track I guess, some pads start and a bumpy fat groove kicks in, distorted leads join and it becomes some new-wave weird piece of breakbeat-EBM. Any useful changes come about in this track and also goes nowhere, mediocre to even bad.

08 DNA 7:07
This one continues in the same line, EBM with distorted sounds, totally not what I expected from a so-called re-release of goa tracks... Anyway, it's better then the previous track but still doesn't offer much remarkable or memorable.

Bonus Tracks

09 Antidote 7:59
Already having these three tracks, I'm pretty interested in comparing the mastering versions, I got the Nataraja vinyl and Pulse, it sounds of course way better than the vinyl version but I haven't compared to the pulse one yet.
The track itself is pure goa trance! Fat wobbling bassline, mesmerizing fast synths, the typical hypnotic BPC vibe! If you're looking for killer goa trance, listen here.

10 Cyclothmic 10:36
Sounds remarkably louder than the others... at least the kick... I'll give no mastering comments here :P
One off their most celebrated and trippy compositions blasting in full gloire out of my pc! Class music!

11 Crystal 8:47
Last one is second track from the very known album Blue Planet in their perfect fusion between trance and goa style they had in this album. Much less in power and trippiness than the two previous ones, but it works well to finish the album. Comparing it to the version on Blue Planet, this one sounds less bright and transparent and a tad more silent.

favs: 2,3,4,5,9,10,11

Limited Edition Bonus Tracks

01 Entropy (Remix) 7:18
Nice long intro with various voice samples, including a very famous one, groovy percussion and minimalistic synthlines near the end. The mid part of this song is an intense buildup of layered melodies. Nice trippy sample manipulations throughout the track as well. Very enjoyable.

02 Cargo Cult (Remix) 10:32
Kinda the same style intro, vocals and atmospheric stabs, evolves into a neurotic piece of minimal goa trance, sounds very good for the dancefloor. keeps on building very rhythmic with minimal melodies and percussions, then comes a trippy floating melody, keeps on building, the atmosphere is very lucid and dreamy, like that. Nice track!

03 Digital Forward (Inclusion Remix) 5:57
Hmm what's this... the bassline has me thinking of Michael Jackson... weird track which is totally unrelated to the first two... it also makes me think of "Felix the Housecat" :unsure:

Considering I already got each track on this double-cd that interested me and even others this wasn't really worth it's money.
I expected killer goa tracks that were just so good they had to get released or at least nicer trance songs but we get pretty mediocre and poorly arranged regular trance songs instead. Kinda reminds me of the fact I should check previews of mediocre artists and why unreleased songs are rather the songs that get rejected by labels instead of rare pieces of 303gold. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for killer goa trance but rather to people who don't mind something new or a stab of progressive/regular trance through their psy.
I guess this is really one for the trance purists out there seeking to relive the old splendor rather than to excite new minds with fresh ideas.
I wonder what the aim of DAT Records was with this release since it has almost nothing to do with real goa trance...
Maybe releasing tracks from a project that had their members changed over the years creates an inconsistent feeling throughout the album or maybe just better tracks could've been selected? Then finally the mastering is not adding much to the tracks, the bass and mid-low sound pretty muddy and the highs and sound quality in overall lack much detail and brightness.

I guess the limited edition addition and all of this compilation/album is way more a fan goodie than a true release, as I don't see any clear connection between some tracks other than the project name.
To me it's just a bunch of old weird music along with some of their nicer tracks.

6/10

Posted Image

<< The play is the continous dialogue that the present order balances on its own, it's praising monologue >>
Guy Debord

big desktop scans here!
http://img195.images...big1050high.jpg
http://img195.images...y1050height.jpg
http://img246.images...6778/bpcnew.jpg

i took me three hours to write, that's not what i called biased or rushed, I took the time to understand the music and this is my opinion. considering the few tracks i already knew i expected more and better of the same, which i didn't get, hence the disappointment.

big desktop scans here!

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/781/bpcbig1050high.jpg

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/2830/bp...y1050height.jpg

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/6778/bpcnew.jpg

i took me three hours to write, that's not what i called biased or rushed, I took the time to understand the music and this is my opinion. considering the few tracks i already knew i expected more and better of the same, which i didn't get, hence the disappointment.

big desktop scans here!

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/781/bpcbig1050high.jpg

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/2830/bp...y1050height.jpg

Rushed as in it hasn't been out for long. Maybe a few weeks or a month of listening before forming conclusions and comparing tracks you're already familiar with and you enjoy, to tracks you haven't heard before.

Biased review because of statements like this one: "Considering I already got each track on this double-cd that interested me and even others this wasn't really worth it's money." That doesn't mean much to anyone other than you. If you included that in a magazine review it doesn't mean anything to the general public reading it. This too is a public place with many different listeners reading. You also speak of alot of expectation towards the content which brings a lack of openness and bias with it.

Bias is a term used to describe a tendency or preference towards a particular perspective, ideology or result, especially when the tendency interferes with the ability to be impartial, unprejudiced, or objective.

But I concede this is your review and you're entitled to share your feelings as you see them.

Jon

Here's my rushed and biased review:

Excellent release! The beauty, the melodies, the trance, the oldschool. Love it. It's the soundtrack to my late night bicycle rides. A Blueprint for survival will certainly be one of the top ten best albums of 2009. Even though I have already heard several of the released tracks, the new mastering makes them sound like new. Really crisp and beautiful stuff.

Highly recommended to all.

Mostly average tracks, but some of tracks really good. I agree with frozen dream, about priority new good tracks > old average tracks. But it is important to give young generation idea what is classic trance and old school goa. When man without any strict understanding of goa trance see 2009 in store and buy this album (just because it is literally new), he have chance to go deep into this magical hypnosis and beauty of oldschool goa vibes.

In my opinion it was better to make 1 strong CD with best tracks from this 2.

P.S.

A lot of ppl love this sound, but nowadays nobody does tracks with such sound. Why?

I bet you if frozen gave a good review you would not mention anything like it was rushed or other crap.

If its not his thing then its not his thing. Im sure there will be more reviews like Jon Cocco which everyone will read.

Anyways, not trying to provoke a flame war here just wanted to pitch in as I believe its his opinions so all good.

Personally I gave it 4/5. I love trance which these CDs is more orrientated towards, some brilliant tracks!

I bet you if frozen gave a good review you would not mention anything like it was rushed or other crap.

If its not his thing then its not his thing. Im sure there will be more reviews like Jon Cocco which everyone will read.

Anyways, not trying to provoke a flame war here just wanted to pitch in as I believe its his opinions so all good.

Personally I gave it 4/5. I love trance which these CDs is more orrientated towards, some brilliant tracks!

Hey,

To give a balanced review I think a person needs to take more time listening to something, with breaks in between listens. Listening to an album 10 times in one week doesn't produce the same result as listening to it 10 times once a week. I guess I have an approach to all forms of art and its appreciation and interpretation that I shouldn't expect anyone else to share. For instance I'd look at a painting while I was in many different moods and mind-frames over time to really appreciate it and its effects. Same with music, etc. Sorry, I'm a tangenting, verbose bastard and I'm taking this review thread off course. :D

I don't care if he gave a positive review of the material as I've never heard a full BPC track in my entire life so I hold little feeling towards the artist at this point. Nor do I care about the 10 bucks I've spent towards buying it to want to read positive things about it no matter what. I'm not a fool like that.

I agree with what you've said though, it's his opinion and approach towards reviewing something and I conceded that at the end of my last post. I think it's easier for me to keep my opinion to myself in future because I seem to lack the ability to not come across as being heavy-handed(worded) or serious when I reply. I'd rather keep quiet and just enjoy the music without offending anyone or sparking wasteful debate.

I interpreted his wording and track by track analysis as rushed and some of his statements pointed towards bias and for me that seemed to tip the review off balance.

Sorry if I offended.

I'll shut-up now. :P

Jon

Blue Planet Generation has always been one of my favourites among the whole Trance genre. Even though it might be that his music is not strictly Psychedelic nor Goa, due to getting his stuff released on labels like Flying Rhino or Completely Cabbaged, together with numerous releases on compilations for the whole psy-trance genre in general, his music was always regarded as "part of the scene".

BPCs biggest effort to until today was the "Blue Planet" album which ranges amongst the best albums in the genre by many. That album not really fit on the Flying Rhino label where it was released in 1999, but it managed to get the attention it deserved.

BPC released some vinyl-EPs before the album and some of the tracks off these EPs are regarded classic. A few ended up being released on compilations in CD-format, but not all tracks were released in this fashion.

Now, 15 (!) years later we find DAT records releasing the "A Blueprint for Survival" compilation, which mainly features the vinyl-EPs of the years 1993-1994 (on CD 1) plus unreleased tracks from that era together with remastered versions of 3 of the biggest tracks of BPC. All remasters of old tracks lack one feature and that is production technique. You hear that tracks are old, even when they are presented in enhanced sound-quality. But does that restrict the quality of the tracks - I'd say no way.

Personally, I am really happy with the outcome of this album as a whole. For sure, I would have changed tiny things - as I am not too happy with 2 of the unreleased tracks and would have chosen some released tracks like xoco, intrigue or one of the tracks that was initially planned for this compilation over it. But as taste is different to everyone, I already read reviews that give the tracks that I do not care about high rankings, so I guess it is ok that they are on it.

You can't really say bad things about the tracks on CD1.

The first 3 tracks (excluding the intro of course) are pure classics off the first EP from 1993. Overbloody Flood had been a big hit in 1993/94, Midian is renowned as the inition of morning-Trance and Genetic could have been featured on the "Behind the Eye Vol.2" compilation by Eye-Q Records. Followed by that we find 4(/5) tracks off the second EP. The strongest one of those (by far) is Lubianka. Hate that track and you have not understood what Trance is about - period ;) Psychonaut and Juno Satellite are a lot more goa-esque than Lubianka. To me the speeded up version of Overbloody Flood is not really worth it, but well... At the end of the first CD you find 2 tracks off the third EP from 1994. These two are equally strong, whereas Generator, maybe through its intense bassline-driven groove is the clear winner for me.

CD1

01 Intro N/A

02 Overbloody Flood 10/10

03 Midian 11/10

04 Genetic 10/10

05 Juno Satellite 10/10

06 Psychonaut 10/10

07 Lubianka 11/10

08 Hemo Static + Overbloody Flood 7/10

09 Generator 10/10

10 Aquablue 9/10

Overall rating of CD 1: ~10/10 ;)

The second CD might be a little more controverse as we find basically a mixture of a lot of different tracks here. There is no overall storyline, it is really a compilation of tracks. Let me start with the bonus tracks first, because these are pure BPC at its best. Especially Cyclothymic - to me - is the best BPC track until today. I always wondered why it was not included on Blue Planet and only available in a cut-down version on compilations. Whatever the reason might have been, it was a very good choice to put this track on "A Blueprint for Survival" over Cargo Cult or Entropie.

The unreleased tracks are pretty diverse and if you know BPCs tracks quite well, you will find traces of released music in these tracks. To me, the strongest of the unreleased tracks are "Hemo Static II", "Telekinetic" and "Barocco". Whereas the first tracks until "Barocco" more sound like old BPC pre-"Blue Planet", the rest of the tracks might have been alterations for the "Blue Planet" release. I find musical traces of "Apex" (from Blue Planet) in "Barocco" and "Arcana" (Blue Planet) and DNA have similarities. Even my praised "Cyclothymic" and "Atoll" (Blue Planet) feature similar samples.

Even though the majority of tracks on this CD is superb or even classics, they are not as good as those on the first CD.

CD 2

01 Intro N/A

02 Hemo Static II 10/10

03 Telekinteic 10/10

04 Sub Sonic Underground 8/10

05 Barocco 10/10

06 Goa Disco 6/10

07 Restore Hope 8/10

08 DNA 9/10

09 Antidote 10/10

10 Cyclothymic 11/10

11 Crystal 10/10

Overall rating of CD 2: 9/10

The Artwork of the Album is fabulous. It is far better than the one from "Blue Planet" and I am glad that Draeke of DAT records did not want to use the originally intended Artwork.

To me, this compilation as a whole beats "Blue Planet" from it's place in my personal Top-20 list. I might have both now in there.

I hope that someday Gabriel Masurel will decide to release another proper Album, as his music is really worth to be released this way rather than as single tracks on multiple compilations.

APART from the ratings, as you might have read, my personal favourites are: MIDIAN, LUBIANKA, GENERATOR, CYCLOTHYMIC, CRYSTAL, ANTIDOTE, HEMO STATIC II, TELEKINETIC

DAT records is really strong in putting out classic Trance music. Both albums that have been released until now have been milestones, as far as I can see. If you like this music, please go ahead and buy it to enable the label to bring out more classic music this way.

I like this concept to not just release unreleased stuff, but combine it with hardly available music from past releases.

On additional note. There were 3 tracks planned to be released as bonus tracks on this album but were exchanged by "antidote", "cyclothymic" and "crystal". Those tracks had been remastered too and are available (as of now) as FLAC-files with the limited edition of this album. This is quite sad for everyone who did not know that (like me) and bought the CD on the day it was released. Hopefully DAT records will decide to make these 3 tracks available on a digital sale platform.

Nah you didnt offend Jon, just wanted to back up frozen.

Sorry if I sounded angry. Agreed with the breaks inbetween listens. Right now I have had it running in the car for the last 6 days and the 4/5 rating I have given it is from that. I usually put the CD down for at least a week, perferably a month before listening at home rating each track to score it properly so chances are I could 5/5 it as the good tracks will out weight the few I dont like as much. I just noticed I sent you MWNN - Moment of Truth just over a weekago. Shipping from here is random, can reach you in 3 days or 3 weeks.

Is there any other artists that produce trance throughout the GOA/PSY years that I might not be aware of? Yahel I guess is one but who has the opposite of BPC fan base apart from maybe his first one or two albums.

pigsinspace - #3, Midian 11/10 - lol good rating. The track before was great but this one just really caught me. Quite simple but so beautiful.

I've listened it more and more and made some small changes to the review, can't say I've changed in opinion, most tracks have good parts but the shabby arrangements and beauty just never gets me, besides in only a few and the tracks already released.

Midian has the same melody as California Sunshine - Coming Home ?

the other way round is correct. midian is from 1993, coming home from 2000.

i guess some people will realize now, that BPC melodies can be found on some releases not done by BPC... ;)

This is great stuff, I'm pleased since I always wanted to get hold of Blue Planet but it is far too rare. Only gripe is that some of the tracks sound a bit similar - same kind of style - also the intro tracks really annoy me ... otherwise AWESOME!

Wow, now I regret not ordering this one. I read the release thread and everyone was giving a lot of respect for bpc, which I wasn't familiar at all with, then I tried out the samples and they didn't convince me at all.

Now, after just 3 full tracks, it's safe to say this is something that I have to own. Beautiful stuff.

After hearing Blue Planet Corporation play Cyclothymic and Crystal last sunday at O.Z.O.R.A. Festival, I have no other option but purchasing this. Not only was his sunday morning performance the best one I've heard there, but he also dropped both crown achievements of his career around nine o' clock in the morning :)

The tracklist of the first CD looks like an old trancer's wet dream, while disc two has a load of (hopefully) goodies I have never heard before, but I would have a hard time trying to explain how fullfilled with joy could I get if this release had a single track which could hold its own against the two tunes I mentioned earlier on in this post.

Proper review is probably coming when I get the CD, but massive respect to DAT Records for making the very hard to obtain Underground French-Kommunication vinyl released tracks on a single disc! Great move...

I agree with frozen dream on this being a rather mediocre release and hardly an essential.

The 3 goa tracks here, also by far the best tracks here, are already well released and well known. They are not necessary on this release at all, it's more like filler to have them here yet again, remastered or not (the old mastering was NOT bad...).

Most of the tracks are more like classic trance which is fine since I still like that style. Most of CD1 is actually very good, only track 8, Hemo Static+Overbloody Flood, is extremely crappy and noisy hard trance and requires being skipped over. Unfortunately this kills the mood for the last 2 tracks.

A lot of the tracks on CD2 are just decent or even not good at all, up until the 3 goa classics at the end of course. The unreleased tracks here were not released 10-15 years ago for a reason: they were not good enough to warrant being released.

Things to question:

- Those dumb intro tracks.

- Putting shitty unreleased tracks that should have stayed that way on disc 2 and ending with 3 well known and well available classics.

- A "limited" version with 3 download tracks that should have gone on the CDs at the end of CD2 to start with! I hope someone leaks these tracks for free soon, though judging from the other unreleased stuff there's a good chance they probably suck the worst.

- No info about it put onto the DAT records website?? :lol:

- The motive? Quite clearly to suck some last drops of money out of BPC, since there was not really any unreleased tracks that needed to be heard here, it was mostly false hype.

Basically you need only buy this if you want to hear the first 3 BPC vinyls and don't already have access to them. Those are mostly good tracks but very preliminary goa trance and more like classic/hard trance. I think CD1 will get the most play by far. I recommend pirating this instead. Why support a release like this by buying it? You won't be missing anything by not having the rather silly artwork. Having this release has nothing to do with survival either, though it think it was a good title to use for marketing.

Basically you need only buy this if you want to hear the first 3 BPC vinyls and don't already have access to them. Those are mostly good tracks but very preliminary goa trance and more like classic/hard trance. I think CD1 will get the most play by far. I recommend pirating this instead. Why support a release like this by buying it? You won't be missing anything by not having the rather silly artwork. Having this release has nothing to do with survival either, though it think it was a good title to use for marketing.

Great recommendation.

I bought it yesterday and gave it a quick listen.

Sounds good, deeply nostalgic although it's definitely not a 10/10 release for me. Too soon to write more.

I have one question though:

Is California Sunshine-Coming Home a remix or a homage to Midian or did they rip off the opening melody?

I don't think a group like CS would rip off a track just like that, but at the same time I've never seen any mention of Midian or BPC in the Coming Home credits.