2. Qawwali Roll 7:00

3. I Just Kinda Do Stuff and See What Happens 6:32

4. Scylla Siberica 6:58

5. Ibu-At 4:30

6. Hidden Meanings 7:49

7. Try to Understand 8:02

8. The Long Nosed Bandicoot 6:47

9. Slightly Deranged 5:48

Inside the voice inside is the latest album from Pete Ardron who brought us the fantastic Birth/Re-birth on Liquid Sound Design in 2008 under the moniker Orchid Star. That album was a delight to the ears with beautiful melodies, visual story telling like tracks and a lush atmosphere of serenity. This album, released only on digital format, though is a far cry from that near masterpiece. The music here seems like a cheap rip off of his own style. Very ethnic again but this time instead of going for eastern melodies and mysterious atmospheres he has opted for cliché ridden and in my humble opinion a little bit tacky ethno-chill.

It's not terrible per say, except I Just Kind Of Do Stuff And See What Happens which has a horrible jazzy sax running right through it giving it an annoying atmosphere that never lets me fully relax and Scylla Siberica which sounds like a Disney Movie is moving on to a day dream sequence at times. The rest is fine but it is all something I'm sure everyone who might be interested in this album has heard before. There is very little in the way of fresh or innovative sounds just cheesy pop friendly sounds.

This might all sound quite enjoyable to chillout fans new to the genre but anyone who has been around the block will know that there is much better stuff out there. This is lacking in atmosphere, flow, storytelling and not a single track creates any visuals in my head which for me is a prerequisite to good chillout.

The best track is The Long Nosed Bandicoot which might be worth a purchase as a single track. Some nice nature sounds and a bit of nice atmosphere. I also like Hidden Meanings as it has some moments where atmosphere tries to show itself but even that is not worth buying the album or even purchasing it as a single track.

Recommendation: If you buy a lot of music and don't mind average albums that you've heard many times before then you might want this. If you are looking for something new, fresh or interesting then look elsewhere as you'll not find any of that here. If you are expecting an album like Orchid Star - Birth/Re-birth then I am afraid you will be disappointed, that was so good but this is a far cry from that great album. I have no idea what happened to him.

Favourites: 6,9

originally posted over at www.isratrance.com in its full negativity :)

• 11 years later...

Just to clarify - Inside the Voice Inside was actually originally released in 2002, pre-dating Orchid-Star's Birth by 6 years. We'd be the first ones to admit the production standards don't reach that of Birth - all the tracks were produced very quickly for DJ sets but they were a vital part of Pete's journey towards Birth. 
(They were also all produced, like it's follow-up Aria, before anyone introduced Pete to psy-chill and he realized what the competition was like!)