top 10 idm

murphythecat

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard the latest Wisp album (the shimmering hour). It has it's fair share of awesome moments, but sadly you can hear the Aphex Twin inspiration throughout the entire thing.

If I want Aphex, then I'll buy one of his albums

for my taste, wisp is way different then aphex twin.

Into the gathering from IM, you can hear the halluciogen inspiration, but its still a masterpiece.

so... Wisp new album is still good, even if it sounds, sometimes, like aphex twin.

sadly why? I love aphex twin.

Sadly as in: I'm sad that Wisp wastes his talent on copying a style of another artist when you can clearly hear that he has the potential to develop something unique :drama:

I love Aphex too. Like I said earlier, if I want to hear Aphex, I'll put on one of his cd's. I know I'm not the only one who appreciates originality :lol:

1.kettel

2-AFX and Aphex twin...but i kinda like more AFX rather the Aphex Twin

3-Wisp

4-Bluetech

5-the flashbulb

but i gotta say, theres a big distinction between my top 1-5 and my top 6-10.

those that figure in the top all made music that blowed my mind off, those artist made me open my eyes on the beauty that has to offer this new and exciting style. For me, IDM is as psychadelics as the likes of hallucinogen. idm is the new goatrance, as exciting, as intense and crazy, and as psychadelic too

6-venetian snares

7-the abbassi brothers

8-Ametsub

9-lights out asia, but is it idm?

10-secede

and thats about the ones that i really llove ans listen too... Ive come across so much nice artist, i cant name them all, but those are really the stand out, those i listen over and over again

for the fan of IDM, just go tchek those artist...

plaid

the squarepusher

proem

tycho

apparat

ander liar

bitcrush

mood deluxe

near the parenthesis

bola

crisopa

funckarma

scone

gridlock

katoo

I agree with you man! Thats my list

1-kettel

2-wisp

3-secede

4-ametsub/The flashbulb

5-aphex twin

Sadly as in: I'm sad that Wisp wastes his talent on copying a style of another artist when you can clearly hear that he has the potential to develop something unique :drama:

I love Aphex too. Like I said earlier, if I want to hear Aphex, I'll put on one of his cd's. I know I'm not the only one who appreciates originality :lol:

Wisp is not original, you must be kidding!

How many albums from wisp you heard? :ph34r:

cause seriously, wisp is UNIQUE

Well, aphex twin is normally more extreme/hard/aggressive BPM then wisp, beside from the selected ambient series, Aphex twin hasnt made a lot of dowtempo song. aphex twin and AFX is HARD BPM Mostly But wisp has done even more downtempo or downbeat song then ''hard'' song. Wisp has like 8-9 release(EP or albums), and when you listen to every cd, wisp really doesnt look like aphex twin. But thats my opinion, maybe you havent listen to all wisp releases, so you base your opinion only onthe shimmering hour album. The shimmering hour is hard bpm all the time, and its the only time that wisp has done that. Normally, every album contains like half the time slow bpm.

Just an example,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox-DWhlV_tM...feature=related

listen from 1min 46 exactly, and look at the changes of rythm with awsome melodies, and then at 2 min 30. the beat is coming back much different, then listen carefully at the end all the sounds blending together.

I really dont see how wisp is not unique, ive never heard such complexity into aphex twin dowtempo selected ambient 85-93

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9t0jOXtmFA...F3&index=47

this really look like aphex twin, apart the fact that wisp and aphex twin makes both IDM music, i dont see a lot of ressemblance. I find in fact that wisp is even more original and better than Aphex TWin because with wisp, we dont get the feeling that hes using drummachines... aphex twin has done his tracks mostly WITH drum machine, and i find that when you listen to everything from aphex, you have less originality into the kick drum. The song are a LOT more repetitive musicwise. But thats only my opinion :D

idm is a brand new world for me

I've listened to a lot of the common stuff you'd hear if you google "IDM"

but I'm taking in as much as I can

for me, I don't think any of this stuff will hold the power of old school goa trance

just seems like an insurmountable task really

thanks for all the suggestions though, and for the comedy found in this thread - truly some classic stuff

I don't care who you are, that line about Borat was funny

anyway...

I'll throw in a vote for Speedy J - A Shocking Hobby

its hard to classify some of this stuff as just techno or just idm or just minimal or whatever

so many influences in each record, but this one from Speedy sounds just as intelligent

and challenging for the listener as any of the stuff I've heard from

Boards of Canada / Venetian Snare / u-Ziq / AFX/Aphex Twin / Squarepusher / Autechre

and for the record, an album I think is truly amazing (and no one has yet mentioned) is

Mike & Rich - Expert Knob Twiddlers... if you have not heard it yet - check it

That's my .02

Cheers everyone

b00m

<old school goa is still the best music ever made>

idm is a brand new world for me

I've listened to a lot of the common stuff you'd hear if you google "IDM"

but I'm taking in as much as I can

for me, I don't think any of this stuff will hold the power of old school goa trance

just seems like an insurmountable task really

thanks for all the suggestions though, and for the comedy found in this thread - truly some classic stuff

I don't care who you are, that line about Borat was funny

anyway...

I'll throw in a vote for Speedy J - A Shocking Hobby

its hard to classify some of this stuff as just techno or just idm or just minimal or whatever

so many influences in each record, but this one from Speedy sounds just as intelligent

and challenging for the listener as any of the stuff I've heard from

Boards of Canada / Venetian Snare / u-Ziq / AFX/Aphex Twin / Squarepusher / Autechre

and for the record, an album I think is truly amazing (and no one has yet mentioned) is

Mike & Rich - Expert Knob Twiddlers... if you have not heard it yet - check it

That's my .02

Cheers everyone

b00m

<old school goa is still the best music ever made>

So you havent listen to any melodic IDM like ametsub(snowy lava), kettel, wisp, Bluetech, plaid from 5 years ago, and THE flashbulb.

Boards of Canada / Venetian Snare / u-Ziq / AFX/Aphex Twin / Squarepusher / Autechre are all harsh idm artist, agressivnes, but thers the more melodic IDm, and way better imo.

1-kettel

2-wisp

3-secede

4-ametsub/The flashbulb

5-aphex twin

Well, aphex twin is normally more extreme/hard/aggressive BPM then wisp, beside from the selected ambient series, Aphex twin hasnt made a lot of dowtempo song. aphex twin and AFX is HARD BPM Mostly But wisp has done even more downtempo or downbeat song then ''hard'' song. Wisp has like 8-9 release(EP or albums), and when you listen to every cd, wisp really doesnt look like aphex twin. But thats my opinion, maybe you havent listen to all wisp releases, so you base your opinion only onthe shimmering hour album. The shimmering hour is hard bpm all the time, and its the only time that wisp has done that. Normally, every album contains like half the time slow bpm.

Just an example,

listen from 1min 46 exactly, and look at the changes of rythm with awsome melodies, and then at 2 min 30. the beat is coming back much different, then listen carefully at the end all the sounds blending together.

I really dont see how wisp is not unique, ive never heard such complexity into aphex twin dowtempo selected ambient 85-93

this really look like aphex twin, apart the fact that wisp and aphex twin makes both IDM music, i dont see a lot of ressemblance. I find in fact that wisp is even more original and better than Aphex TWin because with wisp, we dont get the feeling that hes using drummachines... aphex twin has done his tracks mostly WITH drum machine, and i find that when you listen to everything from aphex, you have less originality into the kick drum. The song are a LOT more repetitive musicwise. But thats only my opinion :D

I've heard Honour beats, building dragons and the shimmering hour. Listen to tracks from Aphex Twin- Richard D. James album and tell me Wisp isn't obviously inspired by this sound.

Opinions is like an asshole, everyone has one. And this is my asshole. That being said, I'm not a huge listener of IDM so fans probably detect the differences between artists better than me. But the first impression I get from Wisp is that the Aphex Twin comparison is to apparent

1-kettel

2-wisp

3-secede

4-ametsub/The flashbulb

5-aphex twin

Just an example,

+100000

1.kettel

2-AFX and Aphex twin...but i kinda like more AFX rather the Aphex Twin

3-Wisp

4-Bluetech

5-the flashbulb

but i gotta say, theres a big distinction between my top 1-5 and my top 6-10.

those that figure in the top all made music that blowed my mind off, those artist made me open my eyes on the beauty that has to offer this new and exciting style. For me, IDM is as psychadelics as the likes of hallucinogen. idm is the new goatrance, as exciting, as intense and crazy, and as psychadelic too

6-venetian snares

7-the abbassi brothers

8-Ametsub

9-lights out asia, but is it idm?

10-secede

so murphy, I'm curious... great list of faves, but for the new listener, do you have a fav album or two from the artists in your top 10 to get someone started?

love to see a list of great albums, so much out there to sift through, this could help narrow it down

cheers

so murphy, I'm curious... great list of faves, but for the new listener, do you have a fav album or two from the artists in your top 10 to get someone started?

love to see a list of great albums, so much out there to sift through, this could help narrow it down

cheers

and seriously, wisp wouldnt be the one that a can relate easily with aphextwin. Benn jordan, or trentmoller and venetian snares for example look a LOT more like Aphex twin then wisp

seriously...

Havent you notice that entheogenis looks a lot like shpongle? or logic bomb looks like cosmosis.

Kettel: Through Friendly Waters, Whisper Me Wishes, Smiling Little Cow (so underated, this is one of my all-time favorite, its old, rough sound, but the best idm you can find imo) and you could finish with My Dogan and Cenny Crush.

Wisp: First, you can download all his early albums free!!!! right here http://www.wisp.kaen.org/

fav albums from wisp that you can download free: let me see your shapes( You will freak out, i hope ;))

Frozen Days EP

humpelndenBEATS

wisp best release not free: Nrthndr and Honor Beats and The shimmering hour

The flashbulb: Red Extensions of Me (but you gotta be carefull, some songs are REALLY extreme, while others are beautifull.

That Missing Week: its his masterpiece, he has done nearly 15 albums, tyhis one is his best IMO

Kirlian Selections

Flexe (the flashbulb)-love programming songs

Those three are The ones that i respect A LOT

Bluetech: sines and singularity, but all his album really, Evan bartholomey too.

Venetian snares: the most extreme artist out here and imo the best breakcore ever made: Doll Doll Doll

My Downfall

The Stupid Chocolate Wheelchair Album

The abbassi brothers: Something Like Nostalgia

Lights out asia:Eyes Like Brontide( and if you love this one, ill recommend you Tanks and Recognizers)

apparrat: walls

Ellen Allien & Apparat:Orchestra Of Bubbles

Squarepusher: Selection Sixteen the best one from him no doubt

and aphex twin but do you really need help with this one?

and seriously, wisp wouldnt be the one that a can relate easily with aphextwin. Benn jordan, or trentmoller and venetian snares for example look a LOT more like Aphex twin then wisp

seriously...

Havent you notice that entheogenis looks a lot like shpongle? or logic bomb looks like cosmosis.

Kettel: Through Friendly Waters, Whisper Me Wishes, Smiling Little Cow (so underated, this is one of my all-time favorite, its old, rough sound, but the best idm you can find imo) and you could finish with My Dogan and Cenny Crush.

Wisp: First, you can download all his early albums free!!!! right here http://www.wisp.kaen.org/

fav albums from wisp that you can download free: let me see your shapes( You will freak out, i hope ;))

Frozen Days EP

humpelndenBEATS

wisp best release not free: Nrthndr and Honor Beats and The shimmering hour

The flashbulb: Red Extensions of Me (but you gotta be carefull, some songs are REALLY extreme, while others are beautifull.

That Missing Week: its his masterpiece, he has done nearly 15 albums, tyhis one is his best IMO

Kirlian Selections

Flexe (the flashbulb)-love programming songs

Those three are The ones that i respect A LOT

Bluetech: sines and singularity, but all his album really, Evan bartholomey too.

Venetian snares: the most extreme artist out here and imo the best breakcore ever made: Doll Doll Doll

My Downfall

The Stupid Chocolate Wheelchair Album

The abbassi brothers: Something Like Nostalgia

Lights out asia:Eyes Like Brontide( and if you love this one, ill recommend you Tanks and Recognizers)

apparrat: walls

Ellen Allien & Apparat:Orchestra Of Bubbles

Squarepusher: Selection Sixteen the best one from him no doubt

and aphex twin but do you really need help with this one?

murphy-

thanks for being cool on this one, I appreciate the suggestions and all the insight regarding particular releases

I spent the entire day listening to Venetian Snares/Kettel/Funckarma/Wisp/The Flashbulb

pretty enjoyable experience I'd have to say - a lot of warm, dubby, downtempo, chillout kinda stuff

but very electric, robotic, stimulating, pulsating, vibey cool stuff - I was surprised I liked it as much

even my wife commented all day that she liked the choice of listening music

so cheers for a bunch of good stuff

I work a graveyard shift (11pm-7am California time) and I will be attacking a lot of the noisier, more harsh and aggressive stuff tonight at work

keeps me sharp and awake which is important at my job...

anyway, thanks again for all the info - maybe I will keep this IDM in my holster and add to my rotation of old school goa and techno

peace

PsyON

murphy-

thanks for being cool on this one, I appreciate the suggestions and all the insight regarding particular releases

I spent the entire day listening to Venetian Snares/Kettel/Funckarma/Wisp/The Flashbulb

pretty enjoyable experience I'd have to say - a lot of warm, dubby, downtempo, chillout kinda stuff

but very electric, robotic, stimulating, pulsating, vibey cool stuff - I was surprised I liked it as much

even my wife commented all day that she liked the choice of listening music

so cheers for a bunch of good stuff

I work a graveyard shift (11pm-7am California time) and I will be attacking a lot of the noisier, more harsh and aggressive stuff tonight at work

keeps me sharp and awake which is important at my job...

anyway, thanks again for all the info - maybe I will keep this IDM in my holster and add to my rotation of old school goa and techno

peace

PsyON

Your welcome! I'm glad that you liked it, and i'm not suprised: i use to listen only to goa, psytrance and psychill.

For something hard, i suggest you to listen to the debut of kettel( you Cant buy it anymore) albums like Red Pear,Split lp 2 or hydrus/kettel and You have to listen to Kettel / Setzer EP

I've heard Honour beats, building dragons and the shimmering hour. Listen to tracks from Aphex Twin- Richard D. James album and tell me Wisp isn't obviously inspired by this sound.

Opinions is like an asshole, everyone has one. And this is my asshole. That being said, I'm not a huge listener of IDM so fans probably detect the differences between artists better than me. But the first impression I get from Wisp is that the Aphex Twin comparison is to apparent

Inspired? of course! but seriously, i dont see that much of exactitude, whatever.but its just funny really, listen to any psytrance artist, and you can make always make comparison, so i dont get your argument.

I listen to bob dylan, its sounds like crosby still young and nash.

I listen to gentle giant, sounds like genesis.

I listen to the rolling stones, to bowie, to pink floyd, sounds all a bit like each others

listen to jimmy hendrix, sounds a but like the doors or led zepplin

i listen to Bon iver, sounds exactly like nick drake (folk artist from the 70's)

BUT its still all amazing artist, soooo what your point?

The last time I shared my opinion about Murphy I got banned, so guys: beware ;)

Still, it's hard to take someone serious when they act and write like Borat.

I would say as far IDM goes my list would be short, since it's not the genre I listen to the most:

1. Early Aphex Twin (up untill the windowlicker EP)

2. Kettel (master of melodies, but has released alot of filler in the past)

3. Jon Hopkins . His lates album insides is a masterpiece

Really??? what album are you talking about, cause his album from the past are my favorites from kettel... just wondering and for me the best album idm ive listen in my life is smilling little cow from kettel, and its his third album i think, maybe listen to it again? i know his sound sounds old, but the complexity of the melodies are seriously something ive never heard! ever!!!!

Inspired? of course! but seriously, i dont see that much of exactitude, whatever.but its just funny really, listen to any psytrance artist, and you can make always make comparison, so i dont get your argument.

I listen to bob dylan, its sounds like crosby still young and nash.

I listen to gentle giant, sounds like genesis.

I listen to the rolling stones, to bowie, to pink floyd, sounds all a bit like each others

listen to jimmy hendrix, sounds a but like the doors or led zepplin

i listen to Bon iver, sounds exactly like nick drake (folk artist from the 70's)

BUT its still all amazing artist, soooo what your point?

Really??? what album are you talking about, cause his album from the past are my favorites from kettel... just wondering and for me the best album idm ive listen in my life is smilling little cow from kettel, and its his third album i think, maybe listen to it again? i know his sound sounds old, but the complexity of the melodies are seriously something ive never heard! ever!!!!

Jesus Christ that was a long and wastefull read. If you want to push the limit on my argument that far, then you might as well say that all artists who use the same instruments sound like eachother.

My opinion: Wisp clearly has a huge admiration for Aphex and that colours his work in a way that some listeners (like myself) might find his work a tad unoriginal.

Anyway, I don't know why I`m writing this since I don't know if you're trolling or not

Jesus Christ that was a long and wastefull read. If you want to push the limit on my argument that far, then you might as well say that all artists who use the same instruments sound like eachother.

My opinion: Wisp clearly has a huge admiration for Aphex and that colours his work in a way that some listeners (like myself) might find his work a tad unoriginal.

Anyway, I don't know why I`m writing this since I don't know if you're trolling or not

I'm the one trolling?

euh... you pushed the limit of your argument so far, that on a debate, i would be embarrassed for yourself :P

Imo a LOT of idm music will sound like aphex twin. And a LOT of psytrance will sound either like posford of IM.

and you didnt answer to any of my question :wank:

The IDM I listen to rarely sounds like Aphex Twin and the only psy I listen to that sounds like Mr. Posfords work or Infected Mushroom are their own releases :)

kettel

wisp

flashbulb

just to name a few, sounds like aphex twin

and cosmosis, logic bomb, talpa, sounds like posford or infected mushroom

and honestly to sound like posford or aphex twin, its a sign of a good artist

kettel

wisp

flashbulb

just to name a few, sounds like aphex twin

and cosmosis, logic bomb, talpa, sounds like posford or infected mushroom

and honestly to sound like posford or aphex twin, its a sign of a good artist

:blink:

Murphy, you should be more careful from now on, cause every insult you give to another member will result in warning...

Another few warnings and you are out of this place. ;)