top 10 idm

murphythecat

This stuff should be called Annoying Music rather than Intelligent Dance Music because it's not intelligent and I don't know who would want to dance to some random clicking sounds that continually change have have no rhythm....

This stuff is easy to make, takes less talent, and I can't stand to listen to it.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This stuff should be called Annoying Music rather than Intelligent Dance Music because it's not intelligent and I don't know who would want to dance to some random clicking sounds that continually change have have no rhythm....

This stuff is easy to make, takes less talent, and I can't stand to listen to it.

you just dont know what you are talking about

go listen to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfb04Fvpk0k

now tell me whats annoying

and i could go on and on and on.

you base your opinion on the little you heard from idm and its pathetic and sad

and what, bluetech is annoying? believe me, im a fan of interesting and complicated stuff, and from what i know of both style, idm and psychedelic, im starting to ask myself if idm is not even more complicated

of course that some AFX song are annoying, just like hallucinogen for god sake, but what, you base yourself exactly, and for me, idm is a lot less annoying then dark psy

IDM stands for Intelligent Dance Music.... a bit of an overused genre name ....never been that popular in any country.

The trance I got in the 90s was called....IDM.... :rolleyes:

I just typed IDM into my foobar2000 (best media player out there for music) filter and hardly anything came up... my favorite being Pleiadians I.F.O :lol:

Best IDM out there, I have to agree with the Autechre folks out there, but really it's just anything from Warp Records. Aphex being my personal favorite from them.

IDM lacks the kind of depth being found in downtempo psy nowadays, and I'm honestly even confused as to WTF an intelligent dance would look like as compared to (as the name infers) other forms of 'unintelligent dance music' :wank:

you just dont know what you are talking about

go listen to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfb04Fvpk0k

now tell me whats annoying

The first one is like a rendition of some famous classical work, so I find that a bit annoying... but it's pretty good.

The others I didn't find good at all....

As the other person said, this stuff LACKS DEPTH ENTIRELY. It's very superficial and doesn't come off as anything special to me at all.

Oh yea... Bluetech is very bad too, I don't get why people like it. :blink:

For reference only, my vote for the best ever IDM release would have to go to Speedy J's "G Spot"! But then again, that one is SO much more than just an IDM album :)

And I wouldn't even call G Spot idm ... and oh, let's not get into the name of the genre. We all agree it sucks.

Snapinho, I love you and all of that, but lets not have elementary school quarrels. Or else, we both might get after school detention.

I suggest we trade Pokemon stickers during lunch break, right there down the hallway. You agree? :D

Anyways, the name IDM must be the single most stupid name attributed to a genre/style. Personally, I hate it with the intensity of a thousand singing Duvdev's, since each of us has a fairly different opinion as to what is intelligent and what is dance. Personally, I would throw Coca Cola bottles at him if a DJ ever offended me and played this stuff at a party. Home listening, yes, but please keep the energy flow inside the club!

P.S.: thanks murphythecat, it seems you actually have something constructive to contribute :) True, I do find most of this IDM stuff lacking in energy, punch, rawness and drive, but for a chilled out after work listening session, artists like Anders Ilar always do the trick!

Great topic !!!

1-kettel

2-wisp

3-secede

4-ametsub/The flashbulb

5-aphex twin

------------------------------

Bola

Venetian snares

Helios

board of canada

Near The Parenthesis

Anders Ilar

Boards Of Canada

Legiac

Bluetech

Ginormous

I guess you weren't intelligent enough to get it :D:P

IDM is not supposed to be danced physically :lol:

Also refered as braindance :) I don't anyone who would've been dumb enough to even try to dance to IDM :D

It can be danced even physically, not like trance-dance of course, but there are danceable rhytms ;)

SOme of yopu guys are so femalish, you spend more energy to talk about the name of the genre, then talk actually about the genre. ITS Like if we love posford, but we talk about his ugly haircut. Come on, its frustrating. LOOK, the topic was a fuckin top 10, not a appreciation topic about IDM. If you have nothing to put on yopur top 10, just keep your mouth shut, thats it. and if you only know one artist in the idm scene, well its a shame mentionning him. just like if i never had something else then ice cream, and someoine would ask me whats is your favorite dessert, well I CANT answer ice cream!!!!!!!!!

Idm lacks depht??????? you dont know what you are talking about, really. Psytrance nowadays lacks of everything really, all the new stuff: ozmali, filteria and lets say principle of light, got almost no depht, so what are you talkin about? for me, psytrance lack of complication, while IDM delivers!!!

IDM is fun music, it changes all the time(well the good artist), it can be aggressive or ultra melodious. but really, i asked for a top 10, if you dont like IDM, well make an depreciation topic about idm. but not in the top 10!!!!! its so ironic, FUCK :drama: :lol:

and personnaly, lot of idm, i understand why we call them IDM artist, its an intelligent version of techno, electronica and trance mostly, well thats my interpretation. but its true, psy would be too in this category, in fact, maybe we found how to class psytrance!!!: its all idm!!! :P

and what about the two guys saying only autechre? have you listen only to autechre, so you think its the best out there?

Nope. Listened to lots of other stuff. I just don't think any of it is even half as good as Autechre.

[...] cause theres not only this guy in the idm scene...

Autechre is two guys.

#1 Martin Haidinger (Gimmik, Abfahrt Hinwil etc.) - no questions asked, he's the best writer of melodies I've heard.

#2 Bola - all his cds are excellent, there's a reason a lot of people mentioned the infamous "Bolaman".

#3 7th Plain - Luke Slater moniker, only two albums under his belt if memory stands correct. "The 4 Cornered Room" is one of my all time fav'es.

Hesitating to mention AFX, AE or Plaid... they've been mentioned earlier, that's one reason. Secondly, so much fillers have been released by these artists; they'd overall receive "average" rating from my part.

besides the mentioned & obvious ones;

Ilkae

yes, Ilkae, excellent music!

One should definitely check Pistachio Island ( there is a concept and it is , play the tracks in random order aka shuffled and they still flow well).

And their latest one "Light Industry" is also very good, heard it a few times.

Murphythecat your over-enthusiasm combined with not so good language expressions make a slightly ridiculous impression :P ( Not talking only about your last post ,but the general image I have of you).

But I do agree with you about the part of IDM usually having much more 'depth' than your typical psychill or other stuff ( if we are forced to quantify something here )

On topic,

and how can we forget Near The Parenthesis ? One could put them more in the abstract ambient/glitch category, but the "idm'ish" label can easily be put on them without much hesitation.

OOpie is that u on the avatar ?

How comes you don't like the newer BoC ? The seem to follow the same old good recipe to me.

i'm not sure why, but i'm not impressed with their newer albums as much as their older ones. maybe because they are following the same old recipe! I'm not sure!! :unsure: