new to all this, need some guidence

gadgie

Hi everyone,

As the title says Im new to all of this psy-trance stuff.

Been a big fan of Trance for a good few years but was getting tired of the same old sounds over and over and was on the look out for something very different. Stumbled onto Solar Fields by chance a couple of days ago and have been listening to various tracks of theirs on-line and have been mighty impressed. Also been listening to tracks by Asura, H.U.V.A Network & Aes Dana and Im getting really excited about acquiring some new deep thought provoking music to usher in a new chapter in my life.

In music I love cds's that take me on a journey, cd's I can totally lose myself in where each track is mixed seemlessly into the next. Trouble is havnt been able to find any music like this for a long long time. Usually I find really decent albums that are spoilt by 3 or 4 terrible tracks (a real hate of mine) and consequently cant listen too them anymore.

I would be very gtateful indeed for some guidence, definately want to get a couple of Solar fields albums (I prefer continuous mix cd's which Im guessing they all are?) but dont know what to go for, was thinking maybe Blue Moon station as all the tracks I have listened too so far sound excellent and also Movements (how do they differ in style?).

But bearing in mind that Im brand new to this any recommendations of outstanding must buy albums from the last few years would be brilliant.

Cheers

Gadgie

Ok, first of all I'd like to say that even I think Solar Fields - Movments is a good album. The rest of the Ultimae releases I couldn't care less about. They're like crap to me lol. Atleast we agree on one album so here comes some recommendations from me. I've been in the scene for a long time, not that it really matters but here goes :) My tips is in a viarity of downtempo/chill styles.

Easily Embarrassed - Idyllic Life (2008) (!)

En Voice - Hall of Dreams (2006) (!)

En Voice - Inclination For Composure (2005)

Kaya Projcet - Elixir (2005)

Lauge & Baba Gnohm - Daybreak EP (2009)

Krusseldorf - Smokers Lounge (2007) (!)

Side Liner - Crying Cities (2009)

VA - Soul Vibration 1 (2005) (!)

Downhill - Silent City (2003)

Mr Rogers - Ooze System (2007)

Been a big fan of Trance for a good few years but was getting tired of the same old sounds over and over and was on the look out for something very different. Stumbled onto Solar Fields by chance a couple of days ago and have been listening to various tracks of theirs on-line and have been mighty impressed. Also been listening to tracks by Asura, H.U.V.A Network & Aes Dana and Im getting really excited about acquiring some new deep thought provoking music to usher in a new chapter in my life.

There are so many excellent releases in this genre.

We recently compiled our Top 10 Psytrance albums, of all time. That topic might be useful to you, but keep in mind that most people on this particular forum enjoy the stuff pre 2000. Most of the stuff in our top tens can no longer be purchased.

Here are some releases from the last six or so years that I find to be of high quality:

12 Moons - Solid State

Atmos - 2nd Brigade

Filteria - Sky Input

Freq - Strange Attractors

Son Kite - Colours

Haltya - Electric Help Elves

Human Blue - Electrolux

Talpa - The Art of Being Non

The Misted Muppet - From The Legend

CPC - Uber Den Angst

Derango - Tumult

Jaia - Fiction

Magnetrixx - Wired

Midi Miliz - Non Standards

Nystagmus - The Immaculate Perception

Ocelot - VectorSelector

Psykovsky - Debut

Filteria - Heliopolis

Triac - Mean Between

Vibrasphere - Archipelago

Zolod - Deja Vu Fabrique

Parahalu - Space Rock

Transwave - Backfire

Abakus - That Much Closer To The Sun

Adham Shaikh - Fusion

Bluetech - Elementary Particles

Evan Marc & Steve Hillage - Dreamtime Submersible

Hallucinogen - In Dub

Phutureprimitive - Subconscious

Pitch Black - Electronomicon

Shpongle- Are You Shpongled

Shpongle - Tales of the Inexpressible

If you manage to get through the above list you will find that psytrance is a very diverse genre, ranging from the utterly mad and intense to the mellow and laidback. Sometimes there are beautiful melodies, other times the melodies are more subtle and sometimes there are no melodies at all.

Try some of the above releases and tell us what you like and we can give you more specific recommendations.

If you visit Psyshop or Saiko Sounds you can preview and purchase some of the releases.

You can also visit Discogs to get an idea of labels, artist connections, previous releases etc.

We recently compiled our Top 10 Psytrance albums, of all time. That topic might be useful to you, but keep in mind that most people on this particular forum enjoy the stuff pre 2000. Most of the stuff in our top tens can no longer be purchased.

Here are some releases from the last six or so years that I find to be of high quality:

12 Moons - Solid State

Atmos - 2nd Brigade

Filteria - Sky Input

Son Kite - Colours

Human Blue - Electrolux

CPC - Uber Den Angst

Derango - Tumult

Jaia - Fiction

Magnetrixx - Wired

Ocelot - VectorSelector

Psykovsky - Debut

Filteria - Heliopolis

Triac - Mean Between

Zolod - Deja Vu Fabrique

Parahalu - Space Rock

Transwave - Backfire

Adham Shaikh - Fusion

Hallucinogen - In Dub

If you manage to get through the above list you will find that psytrance is a very diverse genre, ranging from the utterly mad and intense to the mellow and laidback. Sometimes there are beautiful melodies, other times the melodies are more subtle and sometimes there are no melodies at all.

Try some of the above releases and tell us what you like and we can give you more specific recommendations.

If you visit Psyshop or Saiko Sounds you can preview and purchase some of the releases.

You can also visit Discogs to get an idea of labels, artist connections, previous releases etc.

Thanks (everyone) for taking the time to post your recommendations, its much appreciated. I have listened to samples of most of the artists mentioned in the thread and have come up with the folowing list that gets my attention:

Vibrasphere

Aes Dana

Bluetech

Phutureprimitive

Lauge & Baba Gnohm

Solar Fields

Asura

H.U.V.A Network

Distant System

Etheogenic

Anyone got any recommendations of specific albums for the above artists or anything similar that I might like. Prefer my music to be continuous mix rather than a collection of individual tracks.

Also could someone tell me if the Solar Fields albums are mixed or individual tracks?

Cheers again

Gadgie

Also been looking at the Solar Fields albums - Blue moon station & Leaving Home, but there are two versions of both, the originals and new releases from 2008 that appear to have vocals. Can anyone tell me what the differences are by any chance?

Also been looking at the Solar Fields albums - Blue moon station & Leaving Home, but there are two versions of both, the originals and new releases from 2008 that appear to have vocals. Can anyone tell me what the differences are by any chance?

No difference. Original pressing and reissue. Even the CD logo and the inside liner notes are exactly the same.

The music has not been touched or altered in any way.

No difference. Original pressing and reissue. Even the CD logo and the inside liner notes are exactly the same.

The music has not been touched or altered in any way.

Thats good to know, cheers for the info. Do you also know if these albums are continuous mixes or individual tracks as the reviews I have read dont say. And which if any would you recommend?

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

12 Moons - Solid State

Atmos - 2nd Brigade

Filteria - Sky Input

Son Kite - Colours

Human Blue - Electrolux

CPC - Uber Den Angst

Derango - Tumult

Jaia - Fiction

Magnetrixx - Wired

Ocelot - VectorSelector

Psykovsky - Debut

Filteria - Heliopolis

Triac - Mean Between

Zolod - Deja Vu Fabrique

Parahalu - Space Rock

Transwave - Backfire

Adham Shaikh - Fusion

Hallucinogen - In Dub

All right, I took delivery of Solar Fields album Leaving Home and Distant Systems album Spiral Empire today and both are bloody brilliant. Can anyone recommend any other similar albums?

Thats good to know, cheers for the info. Do you also know if these albums are continuous mixes or individual tracks as the reviews I have read dont say. And which if any would you recommend?

cheers

Continuous mixes, all of them, with the exception of "Earthshine", which is an uptempo album. My vote goes to "Movements" as the best Solar Fields album by some distance.

As for the rest, "Extended" is quite probably his finest pure ambient release, while "Blue Moon Station" is the most versatile one - from ambient to uptempo trance back to downtempo...

Continuous mixes, all of them, with the exception of "Earthshine", which is an uptempo album. My vote goes to "Movements" as the best Solar Fields album by some distance.

As for the rest, "Extended" is quite probably his finest pure ambient release, while "Blue Moon Station" is the most versatile one - from ambient to uptempo trance back to downtempo...

Think Im going to go for Blue Moon Station & Movements as cant believe how good Leaving Home is.

On another point I am going to buy a decent set of headphones to get the best out of the music so can anyone recommend a decent set for listening to this type of music (Im in the UK so looking to spend up to £70). Also would Open Back or Closed Back headphones be best, and what sort of frequency range should I be looking at?

Cheers

Think Im going to go for Blue Moon Station & Movements as cant believe how good Leaving Home is.

On another point I am going to buy a decent set of headphones to get the best out of the music so can anyone recommend a decent set for listening to this type of music (Im in the UK so looking to spend up to £70). Also would Open Back or Closed Back headphones be best, and what sort of frequency range should I be looking at?

Cheers

u can try the sony MDR-V500 they works for me listening to the amazing solar fields music, perfectly in the bloody noisy (some times it hurts ) london underground... for just £40 to £50 :rolleyes:

u can try the sony MDR-V500 they works for me listening to the amazing solar fields music, perfectly in the bloody noisy (some times it hurts ) london underground... for just £40 to £50 :rolleyes:

Cheers No Man's land for the info was actually looking at those today along with the v600's. Have you had any problems with the bracket braking as I read that this can sometimes be a problem, although anything of Sony's that I have ever bought in the past has been very reliable.

Cheers No Man's land for the info was actually looking at those today along with the v600's. Have you had any problems with the bracket braking as I read that this can sometimes be a problem, although anything of Sony's that I have ever bought in the past has been very reliable.

pfff

just for the record 5 floors free fall and like 3 or maybe 4 for sure more steps on them :rolleyes: and still intact.... ka-sol overdose and they still sounds like brand new after more than a year now...they are very reliable at least mines :posford:

i'd recommend you kettel-mydogan and wisp-the shimmering hour

you absolutly need are you shpongle-shpongle : if you want a journey, you have it with that

entheogenic-Spontaneous illumination

you like trance? you will love flexe-love programming songs, maybe aphex twin: look for the best of aphex twin into our forums because theres so many albums of this guy

the abbasi brothers-Something Like Nostalgia

you will need Mystical Experiences by the infinity project, you would need celtic cross

again with a journey, ill recommend secede-tryphasia some bluetech would be nice, my favorite from them is sines and singularity, but that is not the general opinion hre

even if its psytrance, ill tell you to intruduce yourself in the world of psytrance with infected mushrooms's B.P.Empire album and twisted by hallucinogen

solar field is always okay to great

a personnal favorite is mimesis-Art Imitating Life. It's trippy, profound storytelling album with stunning ambient

and be sure that at first for a couple of month everything youll hear from psy-chill-dowtempo-whatever will sound incredible, but after.... the excitement will leave, and then, youll be an addicted motherfucker trying to find THE best albums ever, and you will spear all you freetime and money to try to find amazings releases...lol

Shpongle - Are You Shpongled,

everything from Solar Fields,

both Carbon Based Lifeforms albums,

H.U.V.A. Network - Distances

There's just so much, but starting out with these gems is essential, and you won't be dissapointed. By far the most talented people in our world of Ambient / Downtempo. If you liked Leaving Home, you will LOVE "Movements", and "Distances".

From the trance world I'm sure you know the name of Simon Posford, we even have / had? a smiley icon at this forum named :"posford": ( :posford: ). Check out the non-trance projects he's involved in, such as

Celtic Cross - (Hicksville)

Younger Brother - (A flock of bleeps)

Shpongle

The Mystery of the Yeti - now that's a Journey... just check this excerpt out. It's from The Mystery of the yeti 2 - Hallucinogen - "The Herb Garden"

The Herb Garden is the most psychedelic track ever, ever made.