The best trance ever was made before 2000...

Lemmiwinks

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not agree that you cannot make amazing music on a computer. It is not the equipment but the talent that matters ;)

I think the most amazing music is made on a computer. The earliest sequencers and synths were necessary because of the unreliable and impotent performances of pc's. But, PRO-TOOLS certainly was used. I never even knew of a stand-alone sequencer. We at least used cubase or logic to sequence. When computing, software and D/A converters got better we could add multitrack recording. But, I got out of that world leaving a Nord Lead 2, some nice powered V-10's and a beautiful TC Electronics Fireworx Rack Mount EFX. Of course I would trade that for a Midi Keyboard Controller for the computer and a multitrack output PC with TC software Efx and Nord software synth and millions of other technological miracles. I am sure I would have a MAC and I would still suck at making music. But, that is why I don't. But the whole external synth vs. internal is bullshit. I mean if you want to go analog vs. digital go for it. I will stay in my lossless digital tower. Think about it. Mozart would take a computer in a nanosecond. Any talented composer would.

But, I do disagree with you, slightly. What really matters is the artist uses equipment that does not interfere with his/her infinite talent. So, I don't recommend Casio.

Elysium: You Make it: I will Spin it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the "new oldschool" has the problem that it's very derivative and formulaic, clinging to an idea of what goa should sound like (i.e. certain type of melodies, certain synths, etc etc). It's a copy of a copy of a copy. Although this seems the logical approach to take when you want recapture the feelings that an old track you love evokes, music just doesn't work like that. The resulting copy always seems to regress towards the mean, so the result is less memorable and distinctive than the original was.

The best and most memorable music imho comes when a more spontaneous approach is taken.

I agree. The whole Goa aspect of Goa/Psytrance is anything goes. It's a safe place for a musician to create without boundaries. Of course music is inherently formulaic, and usually referred to as Music Theory. The fact that music is a theory and not proven should tell you that you that formula is still unproven. So music is the perfect manifestation of yin/yang. And yin and yang are actually adjectives not nouns. so we can take what we characterize in psytrance and Goa trance and we find Goa and Psy are Yin/Yang. That is they are polar complements -- not opposites -- of one thing. IMO, Goa and psytrance over time will interact dynamically, perpetually balancing each other.

I think it is an easier way to perceive this music. We can even see that relationship with their history. In the mid 1990's Goa trance was the the old-school. And almost immediately they overlap and then Psytrance is the music. The music began to fracture to achieve the less restrictive psytrance connotation. So, you see psybient and psybreaks and neogoa and darkpsy and forest Goa? I don't know I can't remember the way they are labeled. That is of course the nature of yin/yang. Because you can't talk about one without the other. And now this reemergence of old-school is again the dynamic flow of Goa/Psytrance. Again, because of this duality, attempting to reject one and accept the other will only make them closer. And as Dark Psy attempt to pull away from Goa it only will bring them closer. Especially using the term Dark. That would mean that Goa is light. That alone makes it impossible for Dark psy to become separate. From Dark comes Light, Light becomes dark. The formulaic and rigid pattern that is dominating the scene and also being labeled Psytrance is just nature in action. Because when it is most apart it naturally goes back together. And, if Goa is anything goes and psytrance has rules, again, that is perfect.

In following with Yin/Yang, this temporal nature of Goa/Psytrance guarantees that original sound will reemerge but it won't be the same. This is natural. Of course this view of this music will cause many to disagree and many to agree. I don't see that as anymore that trying to identify with what you love about the music. I think one of the first things I wrote on this subject is that you either know what it is when you hear or it is not Goa/psytrance. That was apparent early when I would flip through records there were two classifications at this record store. If you know who Mars and MysterE are, F-8 or Frequency8 was their record store. The primarily got their music from Germany and at the time they were probably the biggest Cybertrance guys on the West Coast. But, there distributor also did the Goa/Psytrance and it would be expensive and impracticable to order just cybertrance. Anyway, my point is that you can easily distinguish cybertrance form Goa/Psytrance. Sometimes I would listen to a cybertrance record and it had the simple elements of the German Hard Trance. But it did not have that indescribable energy that Goa/psytrance has. It's not as you can't mix them together, they just don't fit. And today, I can easily distinguish Goa/psy from any other music. I know my perception of how I label the music with trying to separate them because I have a stronger identification with Psytrance, But attempting to deny Goa from that just results in antagonistic behavior. Some people want to antagonize this music. The only way to do that is not to like it at all and that means it has to truly opposite. So, if you label it as dark psytrance in an attempt to identify darkness and metal and that more wicked nature of it, guess what? You get what you don't want and that is the God of Goa and the God father of DarkPsy, Goa Gil...how ironic is that to identify with the ultimate Goa incarnate in order to be different? I can see how his steadily increasing tempo and constant antagonistic and disrespect of mixing and track selection would be attractive to the Evil Realms, But I don't think it is evil so that may not help no matter how evil I think Goa Gil is. Sorry, I forgot I was not going to bring up Darkpsy again. But, I was wrong.

Don't worry that awesome mind-blowing original sound will naturally return. Practice Wu-Wei, for now.

P.S. Thank you for bringing your feminine energy and softness to this typically masculine and stubborn forum. I just realized something...the problem with psytrance is that it's a sausage fest. Screw Mars, Psy needs woman. :wacko:;):wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Mr Maxfactor,

Although I heartily agree that psy needs women, I regret to inform you that I am not one of them.

Just a big hairy 30something guy who happened to like neverending story when he was little.

Still stand by my original post btw, so I'm glad we agree. (edit: while re-reading your post I have to say that I'm not sure exactly how we agree... you kinda lost me when you started distinguishing between goa and psy)

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Mr Maxfactor,

Although I heartily agree that psy needs women, I regret to inform you that I am not one of them.

Just a big hairy 30something guy who happened to like neverending story when he was little.

Still stand by my original post btw, so I'm glad we agree. (edit: while re-reading your post I have to say that I'm not sure exactly how we agree... you kinda lost me when you started distinguishing between goa and psy)

Auryn,

If the question were, "What does 99% of psynews.com's audience have in common?" Answer: "Just a big hairy 30 something guy..." I kid and I joke, but the truth is pretty close and that makes this computer screen a whole lot more attractive. Screw Mars! Psynews Needs Woman. Psytrance in general needs women.

I have another theory, yes another. Psytrance would be a lot more popular, a lot more friendly, a lot more pretty, a lot more creative, a lot more evolved if it didn't scare away so many woman. How many hot woman would flock to the DJ Booth with Goa Gil trainwrecking at 180 BPM? NONE! How many hot woman would flock to the dance floor if it smelled nice, no incense, no patchouli, no dreadlocks-unless your black. Awesome lighting, dancing and mixing with some sort of style, not Grateful Dead Dancing. All of the ones with an IQ high enough to know that DJ Tiesto does not have a Tortilla Chip named after him -- any day now. So, I am ranting again, but am I wrong? Open your mind and your fly will follow. I mean heart.

I don't know but psy seems to be very popular, for men and women. I mean here the crowd is pretty mixed at parties. Obvioulsy more women artists would be nice but you can say that for nearly any musical style since it doesn't matter if you look at snobbish house parties or underground dubstep (or whatever style you wanna name) there are still way less female DJs than male DJs. I think it would take more than a good smelling dancefloor to attracte girls to start DJing. Especially considering that if you enter a party at 10 in the morning (after it was going on for hours allready) there's a nearly 50/50 ratio of males and females on the floor. There is way more going on than Goa Gil DJing and I have the idea that you sort of make the stuff you don't like in the scene (like dreadlook guys :P) responsible for the lack of women. Which is maybe an explanation that is too simple to get close to what it really is about.

I don't know but psy seems to be very popular, for men and women. I mean here the crowd is pretty mixed at parties. Obvioulsy more women artists would be nice but you can say that for nearly any musical style since it doesn't matter if you look at snobbish house parties or underground dubstep (or whatever style you wanna name) there are still way less female DJs than male DJs. I think it would take more than a good smelling dancefloor to attracte girls to start DJing. Especially considering that if you enter a party at 10 in the morning (after it was going on for hours allready) there's a nearly 50/50 ratio of males and females on the floor. There is way more going on than Goa Gil DJing and I have the idea that you sort of make the stuff you don't like in the scene (like dreadlook guys :P) responsible for the lack of women. Which is maybe an explanation that is too simple to get close to what it really is about.

Did I say that more female Goa Dj's would make everything better? I am sorry. Just a DJ would be cool. But I was not referring to DeeJays, I was referring to the Audience. And, regardless of how crude and poorly communicated, more women would really make it better. Do you realize how much better guys behave with females around? OFF TOPIC...I think there are probably more downtempo, ambient female deejays, than other genres.

Anyway, I was discussing the audience and there are way more men than women that attend Goa/psytrance parties. Maybe in your Swiss Utopia, it is 50/50. But, GOOOOAAAAAHHH/PSIGH....is a serious male, Caucasian dread-lock cloning experiment. The "unwelcome and weird vibe that sublimates the Ipod Shuffle-mix that has replaced the psy-dj. It's so nonconformist, it conforms. I would get in a good 4-5 hour groovy tranced out dance to Doc Martin, I would occasionally pan and scan. I saw others dedicated to the groove...no words just smiles and diverse looking audience with a good vibe of masculine and feminine energy.

But, Psytrance, I would try to look around while dancing like I was having a seizure. Cuz, the nonstop goa-beat made me want to stay and dance, unfortunately the A-GROOVY beat made me want to leave and run. This must have caused me to spasm.

So, I could make out the 95% male audience, dark clothes, Caucasian, most long-hair, 50% dreadlocks, all lanky-and same Thorazine-induced facial and arm ticks. No smiles, no souls, OH! There was one girl...she was only attractive because of the She.

One constant -- toxic body odor infused with urine and patchouli oil and no matter how many Nag Champas I lit, they could not overpower the unwashed, bacterial bliss that was misting from their pits--gross. This made me laugh.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSfnosgf8gw

I really start to wonder about how psy is in other countries. What you describe has absolutely nothing in common with parties here (or maybe with non-psy parties, especially after-hours in a dark hole). Sure you can be unlucky and hit a party with stupid people (especially indoors) but most of the times it's family vibes, smiling people, everybody taking care of eachother, a good mix of males and females and the music is great too if you care to decide where to go after reading the line-up.

+

I really start to wonder about how psy is in other countries. What you describe has absolutely nothing in common with parties here (or maybe with non-psy parties, especially after-hours in a dark hole). Sure you can be unlucky and hit a party with stupid people (especially indoors) but most of the times it's family vibes, smiling people, everybody taking care of eachother, a good mix of males and females and the music is great too if you care to decide where to go after reading the line-up.

I think Europe is much further ahead as far as a nightlife. In California. No Alcohol from 2am-6pm. So the entire foundation of the club culture has had this time frame . So underground is where to go. But, I don't know if there are any venues left, I guess I will have to go out to a party and report back. Kind of like, "This is Grandpa Factor reporting for Psynews. It's 11:30pm, I have heartburn and I locked my keys in the car...back to you, Tatsu!" God, I feel so old...to go to a party. Do any of my old raver buddies still go out? Well, I got to go with my Party Buddy and Soldier of the Sunlight, Ivo. That is if he can stay out while his wife and daughter stay home. WTF? I definitely envy you, Tatsu.

Let's just say, I would be surprised if there were even a Goa/Psytrance party to go to. I know that Shpongle is performing at the Fillmore in S.F.

Posted Image

That Mask looks spooky.

I will be there. I hope. I haven't been to a psy event in years and the last time Hallucinogen was here, was 1999? Except it was last night so I missed it.

Well, the "new oldschool" has the problem that it's very derivative and formulaic, clinging to an idea of what goa should sound like (i.e. certain type of melodies, certain synths, etc etc). It's a copy of a copy of a copy. Although this seems the logical approach to take when you want recapture the feelings that an old track you love evokes, music just doesn't work like that. The resulting copy always seems to regress towards the mean, so the result is less memorable and distinctive than the original was.

The best and most memorable music imho comes when a more spontaneous approach is taken.

I agree... but at the same time, I found that even the spontaneous approaches don't quite reach "classic" status, even if I enjoy them. I mean it's almost been a decade since the turn of the century, and many many different and original approaches to trance music have been tried (progressive, dark trance, techtrance, suomi, etc.), yet they all fall short IMO.

well... many of the "gods" you mention are in fact originators who helped invent and define goatrance. Everything that came after that basically built on the theme/template with relatively minute variations - variations that may seem large to genre purists, but are actually negligible in a broader musical context.

This is then said to be a "new genre" - i.e. progressive psy or darkspy or what have you - but what's actually happening is that the artists in these genres paint themselves into smaller and smaller corners/niches, until they basically don't have any maneuvering space left at all in which they can be original or musically innovative. The result is a lot of boring music (with some exceptions of course).

The new generation of producers imho should try letting go of all genre conventions/limitations. Re-invent psy. Or invent something better!

I disagree with the claim. First of all, it's actually pleasing to hear such an improved production quality on new tracks. Secondly, it's rubbish to claim there wouldn't be artists out there these days with an original sound - there are, and they do their thing well.

Just a little list of modern goa that's up there with any older classics:

Filteria / Birds Lingua Franca

Bit-Head / Stressed Out

Agneton / Eyes Wide Open

Armageddance / Another Reality

Astrancer / Dzog Chen

Intriga / Stupify

New Born / Purity

...and if you dislike all of that, we prolly should go to different parties lol.

I think it is just going through cycles. To think that this revelation of music is an anomalous is very ignorant. How many times since the first reproduction of a musical work has there been incredible advancements and milestones. The music needs to recirculate and refresh. The music just needs F5 pressed. Then, the newer artists will become fresh because Goa will be fresh. HOWEVER, I am scared of one thing,

Posted Image

FYI: Am I not making you laugh? Cuz I wrote some pretty hilarious stuff. if I do say so, myself. I that humor is missed and it makes me seem so somber and serious. Jesus. Sorry, about the Morgue=like posts. I have lost my humor, well that's all I got so.... Oh, btw does Switzerland allow people the right to die? J/K...but seriously do they?:huh::o:P:D:(:lol:B):unsure:

It's like that here too.

Forums seem to attract a lot of these grumpy old-timers who haven't been to parties for years but still claim to know how things are or what the psytrance scene needs most :rolleyes:

FYI: Am I not making you laugh? Cuz I wrote some pretty hilarious stuff. if I do say so, myself. I that humor is missed and it makes me seem so somber and serious. Jesus. Sorry, about the Morgue=like posts. I have lost my humor, well that's all I got so.... Oh, btw does Switzerland allow people the right to die? J/K...but seriously do they?:huh::o:P:D:(:lol:B):unsure:

I don't want to be rude but the stuff you wrote sounds similar to the views of some other people (in this forum or other places) or pretty similar to some other stuff you wrote about the scene. So I obviously failed to identify it as joke.

Or do you mean the first post you wrote after my comment? Actually that was written in a funny way. :) I just wonder if your comment about going to an underground party again is a joke too or if you really judge the scene without going out to see it? Care to enlighten me? :)

It's like that here too.

Forums seem to attract a lot of these grumpy old-timers who haven't been to parties for years but still claim to know how things are or what the psytrance scene needs most :rolleyes:

That hurts. If I could remember where my walker was, I would get out of this custom geriatric chair and...where am I?

I don't want to be rude but the stuff you wrote sounds similar to the views of some other people (in this forum or other places) or pretty similar to some other stuff you wrote about the scene. So I obviously failed to identify it as joke.

Or do you mean the first post you wrote after my comment? Actually that was written in a funny way. :) I just wonder if your comment about going to an underground party again is a joke too or if you really judge the scene without going out to see it? Care to enlighten me? :)

Tatsu,

I really have no idea, I have not been to a party in years, I am so old, I have to take drugs just to take drugs. (See, I am hysterical). :DI am just joking around with you. I am very happy that there is a good scene. Maybe one day I can see it.:lol: (Again, hilarious).

Okay, Is this how the scene is over there? Because, If it is like this here as it says, my dream came true. But, I think this is just a promoter that is touring. But, this is kinda how II wanted it.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_0Isb8pkK4

There are some similarities as far as I can judge from a video. Obviously not all parties are the same here but if you go to a bigger event (well, you can read on the announcement of the parties what they offer exactly) there is a big chance for a laser show, normaly there is more decoration than shown on the video but often there are screens like the one shown with visuals. The people might be different in the sense that the audience is more mixed than on the video. Depending on the party there might be stuff like the fire show but by far not at all parties. There parties here are (from my point of view) less "clean". Means there are more alternative people around, which is a big plus for me. But it's a matter of taste obviously.

But there is one big difference: some of the girls shown in the video looks like animation dancers. Here you won't hardly find one (I remember one party announcement that talked about dancers) at psy parties. It's common with house and other similar parties but not psy. And I'm damn glad about that. From my point of view half naked females dancing absolutely don't fit psy. Not because of the music but to me I fail to see what they are good for. I also don't think it would fit the scene (as it is here I mean). It has a kinda sexistic approach to me anyway. Besides that I'm glad psy parties here are not testosterone driven in a way that you can dance and just have fun without having a guy on your back any other minute (as it might happen if you go to a regular party). And with on my back I don't mean some nice talking but being importunate and dancing on you when you don't want it and clearly say it for example. But in the end it's a matter of taste too of course.

There are some similarities as far as I can judge from a video. Obviously not all parties are the same here but if you go to a bigger event (well, you can read on the announcement of the parties what they offer exactly) there is a big chance for a laser show, normaly there is more decoration than shown on the video but often there are screens like the one shown with visuals. The people might be different in the sense that the audience is more mixed than on the video. Depending on the party there might be stuff like the fire show but by far not at all parties. There parties here are (from my point of view) less "clean". Means there are more alternative people around, which is a big plus for me. But it's a matter of taste obviously.

But there is one big difference: some of the girls shown in the video looks like animation dancers. Here you won't hardly find one (I remember one party announcement that talked about dancers) at psy parties. It's common with house and other similar parties but not psy. And I'm damn glad about that. From my point of view half naked females dancing absolutely don't fit psy. Not because of the music but to me I fail to see what they are good for. I also don't think it would fit the scene (as it is here I mean). It has a kinda sexistic approach to me anyway. Besides that I'm glad psy parties here are not testosterone driven in a way that you can dance and just have fun without having a guy on your back any other minute (as it might happen if you go to a regular party). And with on my back I don't mean some nice talking but being importunate and dancing on you when you don't want it and clearly say it for example. But in the end it's a matter of taste too of course.

I WAS JOKING, HAHA.

I WAS JOKING, HAHA.

ORLY? So you're basically trolling the forum with your various posts about everything and nothing?

Maxfactor you need to stop that "I was joking" crap, now. It is indeed just trolling which is against the forum rules.

in the first place, I am not a troll ... second ... There's obviously a big problem with miscommunication on this site. It seems it would be better if I use the Spanish language when posting. Then I can use Google's translation before I give my final post.

Because Spanish is my second language, I could not use slang. Also, only 10% of all written messages can be received.

So, again I apologize. I assure you this is a language problem. No this is not a problem of a troll. Oh, my God, I'm so sorry for the inconvenience that I am to blame.

Around 1994, there was a massive amount of Electronic Music, produced. No MP3, not even CD burners, no internet. We had to go out and find this music. The computer helps me undestand the magnitude of good music that blanketed our senses. It seems that it was much bigger and more influential than thought. It seems that Psytrance has been commercialized. At least it eludes Pesto's grasp. That means it's time to change it. The electronic music produced from 1995 to the end of 1999 was way better than today. The production quality is better today, but the stuff being produced is not. Before 2000, anyone with enough skill to get something from R&D to the Distribution stage could have the dopest song. But today, Someone without the ability to make music, can use a computer program that has the ability to correct input that is not technically musical. So pitch, tempo, musical time, are unnecessary skills. This should not be used for this reason. But, I know that it will get better. If this is the worst, then it's already getting better. Tiesto did not help. This is not my emotions. This factual. Just because it is not an affirming statement only makes it a statement. ***

***Translated by Google

• 5 months later...

Without reading the whole thread (only the first page) I want to say, that the reason we do not like new releases as much is, cause they sound very modern and clean, they have usually louder and more dynamic mastering, which I do not like as much as the old less dynamic mastering and they just sound new. I have produced a few tracks back in 2005 using computer software and they sounded exactly as the old stuff, they were not too complex, but I know from my own ears and from responces of forumers then, that these tracsk were closest to the original stuff from halucinogen for example and that is what people want. Modern mixing and mastering, which however sounds like the old less dynamic mastering and synthlines, that sound exactly as the old stuff, which was just what I produced and it had the same atmosphere then the old stuff, you must be skilled and have a good ear to do that.

When I listen to newschool stuff produced by Khetzal or Ypsilon 5, it sounds very modern and overloaded with effetcs, that is not how people want it to be. I can tell you, that whether the old stuff remains as classic in our brains, some really good music today would be appreciated by us even nowadays, if it is done how people want it to be done. My Goal is, to produce music fans want to hear and to give them the same moments they had in the past, I hope the next time I will be producing some tunes, that will be appreciated as high as the old tunes.

Without reading the whole thread (only the first page) I want to say, that the reason we do not like new releases as much is, cause they sound very modern and clean, they have usually louder and more dynamic mastering, which I do not like as much as the old less dynamic mastering and they just sound new. I have produced a few tracks back in 2005 using computer software and they sounded exactly as the old stuff, they were not too complex, but I know from my own ears and from responces of forumers then, that these tracsk were closest to the original stuff from halucinogen for example and that is what people want. Modern mixing and mastering, which however sounds like the old less dynamic mastering and synthlines, that sound exactly as the old stuff, which was just what I produced and it had the same atmosphere then the old stuff, you must be skilled and have a good ear to do that.

When I listen to newschool stuff produced by Khetzal or Ypsilon 5, it sounds very modern and overloaded with effetcs, that is not how people want it to be. I can tell you, that whether the old stuff remains as classic in our brains, some really good music today would be appreciated by us even nowadays, if it is done how people want it to be done. My Goal is, to produce music fans want to hear and to give them the same moments they had in the past, I hope the next time I will be producing some tunes, that will be appreciated as high as the old tunes.

Tracks now are probably less dynamic than they were before.. But Colin could maybe shed some more light on this topic.

Can you post the tracks you did back in 2005? Would not mind hearing them if you compare them with God Simon...

And don't you think there is many people that want different things in music? Because it sounds like you really know what people want. But where do you get that info?

Ofcourse it is not as good as Simon Posford, but it has the same melanchonia and mood, what people liked, I will upload them but don't worry about bad production, I will master them better and make new tracks these days, there was a user Charlier who liked my tracks a lot, but also other users liked them.