Soundcard for Laptop

I'm looking for a soundcard for my laptop as im not satisfied with the one build in.

it propably has to be an external one via USB or firewire.

Can you recommend me one for a decent price, mainly for home usage

It irritates me that you can get a laptop with a killer graphic-card buildt in, but to get a laptop with a usable soundcard built in is impossible.

I know it's because it's not a product that a lot of pople demand, but still it sucks :(

*good luck btw, sorry for the offtopic

i was thinking about the "terratec aureon 5.1 usb mk II" it has some ok ratings for personale usage and goes at a decent price (~30€)

any comments on this one ?

other recommendations ?

check threads about your laptop and soundcards (google), because often certain laptops don't work nicely with certain soundcards.

Audiophile 2496 is an option, but i had loads of problems with it.

Tc electronic konnekt 8 is also a nice option although a little more expensive.

Try reading the isratrance forum as well about it.

check threads about your laptop and soundcards (google), because often certain laptops don't work nicely with certain soundcards.

AMEN!!! I've been through 3 different soundcards just to find one that works with my laptop!! There are HUGE compatibility issues so be sure that whatever you buy the store will accept back for a refund if it doesn't work. In the end I went with an Echo Indigo, they are reasonably priced for the quality and I'm fairly happy with it (but not entirely happy...). As for compatibility issues, I found that the ones that integrate best are the pc-card (or pcmcia if you have an older laptop). They are also a lot more practical since you won't have a little box dangling from a cable attached to your PC. Also, if you go for Firewire, be sure that you have a 6-pin output from your laptop, if you have a 4-pin out, then you'll need a separate power adapter for the soundcard which is kindof bulky...

thx for the infos.

the card is onle for private home usage. just to enjoy music in decent quality at home, nothing more.

and the price also plays a big role. cant afford to spend too much...maybe up to 50€ right now

check the line 6 toneports.

You can get the gearbox silver d-i box which connects as usb and gives u an asio soundcard with superb drivers. Costs 100$ or so.

It has 2x analog out and a headphone preamp that aint bad (nothing too top notch tho).

It comes with guitar software that u prolly dont need, tho the driver support from line 6 is topnotch, while driver support from good companies like m-audio still suck ass

(ex: its been a few years since vista came out and they still dont have a proper driver for the delta 1010 series soundcard, supposedly a high end product. Im betting 5 more years for proper win7 support.)

• 3 years later...

I've heard that Echo soundcard would be good (the best) option. I have a Samsung laptop and my intention is to produce psytrance/chill with Fruity Loops.

Can you recommend Audiofire or Indigo from Echo? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Is the quality of your laptop soundcard really bad? I'm asking because I guess you need to buy really high-end equipment to see a significant difference. Here no difference between my desktop MOTU24i/o quality and my Asus laptop onboard soundboard in terms of hum or distorsion.

Is the quality of your laptop soundcard really bad? I'm asking because I guess you need to buy really high-end equipment to see a significant difference. Here no difference between my desktop MOTU24i/o quality and my Asus laptop onboard soundboard in terms of hum or distorsion.

I don't know if it's bad or really bad : ) I'm sure that a proper soundcard will make a difference. I will install Fruity and try. Then I'll post a new reply.

Its not just about hum or distortion, latency is also a factor, number of inputs and outputs, AD/DA-conversion, MIDI, ... It all depends on what your price range and requirements are.