Psychedelic Dance Music!

healium

Ok I love the psychedelia of psytrance, the melodies and layers and whatnot, BUT, the beat is too fast for dancing, it's not near as much fun to dance to as breakbeats or other slower type beats - I mean, it can be, but usually the beat feels to fast for me...

The problem though with the types of music that use slower beats is, its not psychedelic - fun to dance to, but not zany or weird or cosmic enough at all... Benny Benassi and David Guetta are examples of this - great dance music in terms of the pace and beat, and somewhat psychedelic, but not like full-tilt psychedelic..

So my question is, why does noone produce some sort of dance music that is really psychedelic but also with a different beat structure? Why the 145bpm 4x4 structure all the time?

When the beats are slower you can actually step your foot to the floor, or wherever, to the beat, you can really sync up with the music - this can't happen with 145bpm - I wish there were some wicked psychedelic mid-beat type artists - it seems like its either psytrance or chill out..

Type out some good midtempo psy, the list might be short I fear.

Bigwigs - The National Heroes...

Kino Oko - Alphabetically Divided Highway

Benza - Schwarze Now The Defender

Thats what I can think of, and some of those might be too fast.

The problem though with the types of music that use slower beats is, its not psychedelic - fun to dance to, but not zany or weird or cosmic enough at all... Benny Benassi and David Guetta are examples of this - great dance music in terms of the pace and beat, and somewhat psychedelic, but not like full-tilt psychedelic..

Wait a second! Is this for real?

Benny Banassi and David Guetta qualify as somewhat psychedelic? Didn't know that... But if you feel that way, and I am glad there are people out there who actually do, then maybe check out Paolo Barbato, Claude VanStroke, Martin Solveig and Bob Sinclair. Catchy, joyous, slow paced tunes - ideal stuff for sunny afternoon summer beach parties!

Same toilet as Guetta & Co... Ian Pooley's 1998 "Meridian" album might be something to your liking as well, as I remember it being quite big, and at least twice as good as tracks by artists you mentioned ^^

Seems to me almost the faster and harder a track hits

the more I want to move my ass

and when I do move that thing, I can find a way to move to the beat

no matter the tempo...

That's the beauty of dancing, if you can move your body, you can find a rhythm and get into it.

I mean maybe some over the top darkpsy stuff at 160 or 170 is harder to find a groove,

but by and large 135,140,145,150,155 is pretty danceable IMO

anyway, I have no real good suggestions for you to match with Guetta and so forth

Find some house music my friend...Psy might just not be your thing...

Peace

Well, usually I'm not dancing to the beat, but to the layers, patterns, and melodies... But the pace of psytrance is so damn fast... Why is it so fast anyway, I never understood that? It's really fun to dance in slower, looping type movements but when its 145bpm the vibe is more frantic...

So why not the slower funked out beats with heavy psychedelic effects and melodies - that would be killer!!

Check out tracks like Eye of the Beholder and Rock My Soul and Blue Seal and Marijuajuana off our Free Range album, and maybe Hornrider off our Fourthought album... maybe something there will tweak you.

Well, usually I'm not dancing to the beat, but to the layers, patterns, and melodies... But the pace of psytrance is so damn fast... Why is it so fast anyway, I never understood that? It's really fun to dance in slower, looping type movements but when its 145bpm the vibe is more frantic...

So why not the slower funked out beats with heavy psychedelic effects and melodies - that would be killer!!

Mm i think you are a bit of an exception here... Because the reason most dance-oriented music has a bpm ranging from 130-150 is because it's perfect to dance on (well in my opinion i guess). Personaly, i think 140 bpm is the best bpm for dancing. But if you like it slower, there is a lot of slow goa, psybreaks... out there.

For me 145 bpm is simply perfect for dancing. I can dance to anything from 140-160.

Tracks with slower or faster tempo can be 'danceable' only if they have a moving melody or rhythm.

Type out some good midtempo psy, the list might be short I fear.

Bigwigs - The National Heroes...

Kino Oko - Alphabetically Divided Highway

Benza - Schwarze Now The Defender

Thats what I can think of, and some of those might be too fast.

Distant System - Spiral Empire

Solar Fields - Earthshine

Matenda

Vibrasphere

Astropilot

some of Asura's

ChRonos

Divinorum

12 Moons

Jaia

GOAmbient in general :D

less psy oriented:

Marco Torrance

Chris Zippel

trance:

Above & Beyond

and there is no perfect beat rate for dancing. i know people who can only dance to DnB, or psytrance, or downtempo, and even ambient!!!!! (of course dancing to ambient would be quite different from dancing to DnB but it's dancing nonetheless)

Posted Image

There is alot of good progressive that is slower than fullon and really nice to dance to. Check psyshop.com. Check the next labels:

iboga records

spin twist records

iono music

echoes

flow records

Some of those albums are very similar in tempo as guetta for example.. more the 127-135 range

Hasn't all trance been (generally) in the 135-145 range since its birth?

As far as the 4x4 structure, well that's just a trance staple. Change the beat and it's no longer trance, it's something else.

As far as the 4x4 structure, well that's just a trance staple. Change the beat and it's no longer trance, it's something else.

Huh? Lots of psytrance tracks have 12/8 sections, and I can think of at least one very famous bit of psytrance in 3/4.

I was just listening to suicide silence last night, and I found that quite psychedelic. No one said anything about electronic dance music after all..

Although generally, I don't find any much other edm psychedelic in quite the same way as psy. Even acid trance is more of a dreamey feeling IMO. Some neurotech sometimes gets a bit close... and techno is more sortof hypnotic than psychedelic, even the acid stuff... apart from Emanuel top-Turkish bazaar. Well I guess the other thing, apart from death/doom metal, would be dark ambient.

It's good fast... if it wasn't necassary for it to be a certain level of fastness/hardness then it'd just turn into melodic trance like acid trance did... and besides, normal psy for me is pretty good, darkpsy is a little harder to get into but even still generally isn't too bad. So I guess it really just depends on how fast paced (but not in tempo) you like you're music. Plenty of artists at either end and in between though really.

D.Diggler - EM.Pulse > http://www.discogs.com/DDiggler-EMPulse/release/793856

Boris Brejcha > Specifically the "lost memory" EP... matter of fact, if you I think you can beatport that track only... might right up your alley...

edit:

on second thought, trying to read what you are asking for and what everyone else replied (including me) is like playing the telephone...

I don't think anyone understood, or you didn't explain very well ...

I don't find the pace hard to dance to (I actually enjoy it), more that the music has to have certain qualities - certain structures, tones, layering, drive, modes, building grooves, few breaks, etc. - to manipulate my body. A small percentage of the psytrance I've heard has been able to do this the way I like, but when it does it's a lot of fun.

I don't really have solid suggestions for slower stuff. Some techy house stuff comes to mind, like Trentemoller, John Tejada and those guys. Extrawelt, maybe?

I'm just going to put this suggestion out - VA - Artificial Intelligence 2. To me atleast the Autechre tracks on it are psychedelic.

I guess the easiest way to say what I'm saying is this:

There's nothing inherently "psychedelic" about a fast BPM, or a 4x4 structure - and so, because of this, highly psychedelic music could be created involving all sorts of different beat structures and speeds..

These different beat structures (like even break type beats), combined with proper psychedelic focus, could allow more interesting types of dancing than just this fast 4x4 thing most all psytrance brings to the table...

I mentioned Benassi and Guetta because they bring in super fun, highly danceable type beats and pace, but lack the psychedelic aspects our psytrance has..

I think healium was using "4x4" to refer to the four-on-the-floor beat structure, not the time signature.

Oh. Then I must confess that I don't know what that means.

Ok I love the psychedelia of psytrance, the melodies and layers and whatnot, BUT, the beat is too fast for dancing, it's not near as much fun to dance to as breakbeats or other slower type beats - I mean, it can be, but usually the beat feels to fast for me...

So my question is, why does noone produce some sort of dance music that is really psychedelic but also with a different beat structure? Why the 145bpm 4x4 structure all the time?

When the beats are slower you can actually step your foot to the floor, or wherever, to the beat, you can really sync up with the music - this can't happen with 145bpm - I wish there were some wicked psychedelic mid-beat type artists - it seems like its either psytrance or chill out..

Two things... I can step my foot to 145 bpm, no problem... Even 150 :P

Second of all, PROGRESSIVE PSYTRANCE!!! 128-140 bpm, isn't that better for you then? If you want it psychedelic, try go through the "dark progressive" thread :)

Also try Kino Oko's and Electrypnose's albums from last year :)