Ishq: vastly overrated?

bwhale

There is tons of stuff I don't like but I can still appreciate it's artistic merit. Something that is so commonly lost on pop twats.

So how do you judge this "artistic merit" stuff? :unsure: Keep in mind music is usually designed for people to like listening to it. And what special merit do you think Ishq has... has he done something special that I'm just oblivious to? (Because I don't think the sounds or arrangements are anything special, so maybe there's something else.)

So I've listened to most of his albums a few times now, and I must say there's a couple good tracks on Orchid and Magik Square of the Sun, but other than that 95% of it is just completely uninspired and pointless. Pretty much anyone could write better music because it's like... not even music... just a bunch of boring sounds with boring minimalistic arrangement. :blink: It's probably some of the worst ambient music I've ever listened to.

You're right, and that also goes to 95% of psytrance/ambient releases to-day.

You want some good ambient, check biosphere.

Be sure to check the Biosphere/Deathprod split called Nordheim Transformed.

Oophoi is some good minimal ambient.

If you want lively stuff check Steve Roach, Michael Stearns, and vidna obmana.

Also, afaik, ishq are considered new age and not ambient

Cheers

PS: I almost forgot, one of the greatest albums evAAr, David helpling & Jon Jenkins - Treasure

"Again taste is taste and there’s no such thing as crap. There’s only personal taste"

lolwut??!?!

I beg to differ. There IS good music, and there definitely is CRAP music.

There's the 'artist' that produces music because he has talent (ex: biosphere).

Then there's the endless sea of posers cranking commercial shit&lols to the masses that wouldnt know an ambient record if it hit em on the head.

No offense intended of course, but saying there is no worse/better in music neglects a lot of factors that go into the making of a real record.

Besides, if there is no better/worse in music, why the hell are we here, or rather what the hell are we here to talk about ? Our personal taste ? Who cares about that.

"Again taste is taste and there’s no such thing as crap. There’s only personal taste"

lolwut??!?!

I beg to differ. There IS good music, and there definitely is CRAP music.

There's the 'artist' that produces music because he has talent (ex: biosphere).

Then there's the endless sea of posers cranking commercial shit&lols to the masses that wouldnt know an ambient record if it hit em on the head.

No offense intended of course, but saying there is no worse/better in music neglects a lot of factors that go into the making of a real record.

Besides, if there is no better/worse in music, why the hell are we here, or rather what the hell are we here to talk about ? Our personal taste ? Who cares about that.

There's one huge flaw in your black/white view on "crap". What you consider to be crap is considered to be genious by others. See that's the beauty of taste ;) You can beg to differ from now on to Kingdome come. Taste is still taste and no matter how much you tell people their taste is crap they will still love the music they love. There's really nothing more to say or argue about that.

Cheers

I say no.

Gandalf would be what I call New Age.

And apart from this argument the whole thread here is pointless. Some people say Ishq is great, some say it's crap ... nobody shows any signs of wanting to understand the other side or anything. You can as well stop the subject, everything else would be wasted energy.

I like Ishq btw ... or what I heard of it.

I prefer to discuss what's New Age.

Well no! I am sayin the total opposite if you would care to re-read. The biggest pile of crap is (not would be) liked by the majority. Ever heard 50 cent, G-Unit etc? Absolute talentless crap that millions of people enjoy. These people (like you I guess) don't really see music as art. Music that they don't like (like you) they say is utter crap without thinking about tastes being different. What you, pop boy, think is crap someone else really really loves so yes it is art. You don't have to like it for it to be art. In fact that is IMO the essence of art. But pop people don't understand this becaue they don't see music as art.

With your statement that focusing on music is saying is that you are a casual listener. The problem with your argument is that while you think you are giving the albums the benefit of the doubt by listening to them while "lounging around" and "going to sleep" you are still not focused on them. Be you reading or thinking of other things your full undivided attention is not on the music. Try listening to an album and writing down what you hear and how it makes you feel. It will bring the music to whole new level for you.

Not that I expect you to do any of this as you have proved time and time again that you do not see music as art and that you are just a pop boy! You and your old banned moniker of sunwolf(?) have left many hints to this fact. Not that there is anything wrong with being a pop boy but I find it quite sad that you can't experience music on the same level as the rest of the people here. You will say you do but believe me you don't.

So next time you open a hater thread just think before writing things like "95% of it is just completely uninspired and pointless" Think is it really? Is this a lazy piece of shit like 50 cent or 1200 mics last album? Or is just something I don't like. There is tons of stuff I don't like but I can still appreciate it's artistic merit. Something that is so commonly lost on pop twats.

Ahhh dude you're wasting your energy.

I mean, what can you expect from a person that says this in Michael Jackson tribute RIP thread:

I couldn't care less...... he was a freak and I never listened to much pop music anyways.

Do you think someone who says that about a person that just died is going to take a step back

, re-think his thoughts and say "ok I don't like this music, but it's art and someone else likes it"?

It's obvious he is not really into constructive approach when communicating with others.

That sort of attitude seems to provoke negative responses and he seems to find joy in that.

Don't let him bring you down to that level.

Bwhale, to me Ishq is not about the music itself, it's not about cool passages, guitar-solos or anything that you can rock your head to. To me, Ishq is about the feelings i get from listening, the pictures i get in my head and the stories (I think) i can here. I don't know how to explain it to you, but it's like my mind is subconciously telling me stories, like memories of being somewhere I haven't been... Especially Orchid is doing this to me, actually more than any other album I have EVER heard... So NO, Ishq is definitely not crap. It's like abasio said, a peace of art

Cheers

PS: I almost forgot, one of the greatest albums evAAr, David helpling & Jon Jenkins - Treasure

Thanks for the suggestions.

And yes, I think most of these people just listened to goa/psy trance 99% until somewhere in the early 2000s they started listening to "ambient" music from psy artists.. and missing out on the thousands of ambient releases in the 90s and worshipping their psy scene artists, they think this stuff is the shit, when really lots of it is just shit. :drama:

Thanks for the suggestions.

And yes, I think most of these people just listened to goa/psy trance 99% until somewhere in the early 2000s they started listening to "ambient" music from psy artists.. and missing out on the thousands of ambient releases in the 90s and worshipping their psy scene artists, they think this stuff is the shit, when really lots of it is just shit. :drama:

Np mate.

I almost forgot Maitreya. I've heard all three albums ( from the mothership - telluric waves - .74 ) and all three are top notch but very different.

Maitreya Discography on Discogs

to Bwale: i understand your feeling about ishq, i used to feel the same way , just listen to him when you feel really too stressed, its gonna calm you, or when you're stone, I'm sure you will change your opinion, and ishq is a background music, you can not focus on every details, otherwise, youll lost interest, you have to let the music eneter your fuckin soul men, i know it sounds cheesy, but with ishq, its like that, you have to let you guide by his music, cause if you focus too much, its boring, or with a girl, you put it on, and men, you gonna have one sensual moment, im telling you, whatever

QUOTE (cyber echo @ Jul 4 2009, 04:42 AM) *

Cheers

I must admit, jon hopkins new album!!!!!!!!!!! but i dont get that you love this album, but not ishq, cause ishq is so alike, Imo ishq is a triple dimension music with details that no one ever did in ambient, its delicate, profound, intelligent

but stearns and biosphere, really not interesting for me

First of all, I love Ishq's "Orchid". I haven't listened to all of his other material because it seemed to fall flat.

Anyway, I came here only to make one point: people have DIFFERENT FUCKING TASTE. There is nothing to discuss. I love Orchid but some others may not whether or not I tell them to relax or take drugs or whatever. Of course, there is a certain phenomenon that exists where one learns to love music they didn't get at first. And, because I think Orchid, especially, is great, I would suggest listening to it over and over until you "get it". But, if you don't, once the curiousity is gone, move on. Who cares? Listen to stuff you like and let others do the same. There is nothing transcendentally good about Ishq or Shpongle or Tool or Sublime or whomever else people like a lot...

Blah blah...ciao!

So I've listened to most of his albums a few times now, and I must say there's a couple good tracks on Orchid and Magik Square of the Sun, but other than that 95% of it is just completely uninspired and pointless. Pretty much anyone could write better music because it's like... not even music... just a bunch of boring sounds with boring minimalistic arrangement. :blink: It's probably some of the worst ambient music I've ever listened to.

Infected Mushroom and other sound-a-like shit trance is probably the worst "electronic" music I've ever heard in my whole life!