Ishq: vastly overrated?

bwhale

So I've listened to most of his albums a few times now, and I must say there's a couple good tracks on Orchid and Magik Square of the Sun, but other than that 95% of it is just completely uninspired and pointless. Pretty much anyone could write better music because it's like... not even music... just a bunch of boring sounds with boring minimalistic arrangement. :blink: It's probably some of the worst ambient music I've ever listened to.

Who, in the name of almighty God, is Ishq?

What is up with this recent psynews trend of opening threads about artists, with 1-2 replies at most?

Is it a matter of mere provocation, or have people just become too lazy to leave their bedroom?

Guys, nobody cares. Really, nobody cares.

So I've listened to most of his albums a few times now, and I must say there's a couple good tracks on Orchid and Magik Square of the Sun, but other than that 95% of it is just completely uninspired and pointless. Pretty much anyone could write better music because it's like... not even music... just a bunch of boring sounds with boring minimalistic arrangement. :blink: It's probably some of the worst ambient music I've ever listened to.

If you think you can write better music then I would love to hear it.

Ishq is genious and only when you're completely relaxed and focus you can understand how great his music is.

Admittedly, the only Ambient I have from Matt Hillier and his myriad of aliases is disc 4 of Chilled Trance and I must say they are 8 incredible tracks. Pity they are hindered on that box set, which, BTW, has disc 1 and disc 2 fantastic also.

Can't agree more with ormion saying that only when you're completely relaxed and focus you can understand how great his music is

Who, in the name of almighty God, is Ishq?

What is up with this recent psynews trend of opening threads about artists, with 1-2 replies at most?

Is it a matter of mere provocation, or have people just become too lazy to leave their bedroom?

Guys, nobody cares. Really, nobody cares.

We have to find something ("on topic") to make threads about. :unsure:

There's a lot of ambient that's not melodic based. You Bwhale might deem it as 'crap' which is your right, you also have the right not to listen to that stuff. Quite easy when you think of it!

I actually agree bwhale. I find 95% of it uninspiring and very dull, although I used to like it. Matt Hillier's sound is not diverse, and track variation suffers in my ears. It's a feeling of being tired of the entire artist after one listen to one track, although I'm exaggerating to make a point.

There's just so much else, so much better stuff out there.

I'm going to assume you haven't yet heard Infinessence from Interchill?

Get your hands on it and pay careful attention to "Bhakti", i'm not really into the ethnobeat, and quasi-hindu-psychelic influences... at all... but i love this track.

It's nearly fuckin perfection, anything after Matt is more than welcome to try and experiment... he already proved himself with that track in my book =)

I can understand not liking Ishq but this statement...

Why can you only understand how great it is when you're completely relaxed and focused? Sounds like BS to me.

...just shows what an immature listener you really are! There are so many albums that are definitely mood pieces, you know you have to be in the right mood to enjoy them! A lot of ambient is too subtle with slight key changes and more emphasis on creating an atmosphere than a catchy hook so pop listeners like yourself will never get into it.

Some people view their music as art, for me art is usually something that is adored by a very few people and either not understood or just disliked by most. For me art is the opposite of pop which is something a lot of people will just like. Art though often needs time to fully understand so when talking about music that requires a bit of focus.

Just try it, try taking a CD you found was boring (not one you hated) relax, let yourself be distraction free in a darkened room, sit in a comfortable chair (or as you probably still live at home with your mum lie down on your wee single bed) and lets your mind drift through the music.

This is how I came to love Ishq as before I felt pretty much the same as you but I was sick and I needed something to relax me so I put it on, there were no distractions and I have never been so happy to have been sick, I learned a valuable lesson.

But then again you might be a terminal pop listener but most 15 year olds are similar to you so maybe there is hope!

The problem with your argument here is I always listen to ambient music when peaceful and relaxed, either just lounging around or going to sleep or whatever. I try to give every CD the benefit of the doubt, because I always hope it will be good or at least have a couple good tracks, but Ishq just doesn't live up to the hype it is given.

BTW the biggest crap would be enjoyed by a very few and disliked by the majority... does that it make it supreme art? :unsure:

Listen to his Colourform album...

Guest D N H

indeed, there are works of art that suppose exercised eyes or ears to be commended -and before that, created-.

mat hillier's creations can be better appreciated in a meditative state, which is the nature of his music.

If you think you can write better music then I would love to hear it.

Ishq is genious and only when you're completely relaxed and focus you can understand how great his music is.

+1

Ishq is genious, suddenly I get it. But it needs a time to realize.

Maybe I'll be inviting abuse here, but so be it...

Why the hell does anyone give these threads the time of day?

Someone posts a random hater thread saying so and so sucks

and then everyone chimes in and so dignifies the post.

What would be SO much better is to leave this dreck undiscussed,

it might save us all some time to really discuss music and make new discoveries.

+1 to rino as well...

Maybe I'll be inviting abuse here, but so be it...

Why the hell does anyone give these threads the time of day?

Someone posts a random hater thread saying so and so sucks

and then everyone chimes in and so dignifies the post.

What would be SO much better is to leave this dreck undiscussed,

it might save us all some time to really discuss music and make new discoveries.

I always make the most provocative threads. :drama:

:drama: makes the forum not to mention the world go 'round.

The problem with your argument here is I always listen to ambient music when peaceful and relaxed, either just lounging around or going to sleep or whatever. I try to give every CD the benefit of the doubt, because I always hope it will be good or at least have a couple good tracks, but Ishq just doesn't live up to the hype it is given.

BTW the biggest crap would be enjoyed by a very few and disliked by the majority... does that it make it supreme art? :unsure:

Well no! I am sayin the total opposite if you would care to re-read. The biggest pile of crap is (not would be) liked by the majority. Ever heard 50 cent, G-Unit etc? Absolute talentless crap that millions of people enjoy. These people (like you I guess) don't really see music as art. Music that they don't like (like you) they say is utter crap without thinking about tastes being different. What you, pop boy, think is crap someone else really really loves so yes it is art. You don't have to like it for it to be art. In fact that is IMO the essence of art. But pop people don't understand this becaue they don't see music as art.

With your statement that focusing on music is saying is that you are a casual listener. The problem with your argument is that while you think you are giving the albums the benefit of the doubt by listening to them while "lounging around" and "going to sleep" you are still not focused on them. Be you reading or thinking of other things your full undivided attention is not on the music. Try listening to an album and writing down what you hear and how it makes you feel. It will bring the music to whole new level for you.

Not that I expect you to do any of this as you have proved time and time again that you do not see music as art and that you are just a pop boy! You and your old banned moniker of sunwolf(?) have left many hints to this fact. Not that there is anything wrong with being a pop boy but I find it quite sad that you can't experience music on the same level as the rest of the people here. You will say you do but believe me you don't.

So next time you open a hater thread just think before writing things like "95% of it is just completely uninspired and pointless" Think is it really? Is this a lazy piece of shit like 50 cent or 1200 mics last album? Or is just something I don't like. There is tons of stuff I don't like but I can still appreciate it's artistic merit. Something that is so commonly lost on pop twats.

:D You've been Abasioed.

Tbh I don't mind your 'this is shit/'this is awesome' outlook because, after all, your hormones are probably twisted to high heaven, you're at that stage in life where you believe everything is exactly how you think it is and (mainly) because I know, as do many on the board, that you'll look back on your stupid actions and words and realise one day that you were being a total ass. Perhaps I'm wrong and maybe you'll end up one of those guys that never, ever tires of their own ridiculous opinions but I hope that is not the case as after a while people like that always get to become a drag.

As for Ishq I cannot actually comment. I have a niggling suspicion that he'll be fantastic when I get around to finally buying an album but until then I'll have to just forget about him and listen to all of the other fantastic artists that I already know and love.

Isn’t taste a funny thing :)

There are two sides here. One side is not into Ishq and one side love the music. But honestly both sides are equally judgmental. The ones (or one specific member - no harm intended) that love Ishq seem to think commercial music is crap. But that’s just as judgmental and generalizing as the side claiming Ishq is 95% crap.

Again taste is taste and there’s no such thing as crap. There’s only personal taste :)

It's funny how negative criticism of this forum's beloved music spawns comments like "opinions are divided" and "you can't say it's rubbish just because you don't like it", and even giving biological, physical reasons for why on earth someone should dislike an artist or an album, and that there are severe "flaws" in one's "arguments".

How about some of you try and understand why someone would dislike; in this case Ishq? I already laid out my arguments for why I'm not a huge fan. Replying with "you're wrong" is hardly convincing, chaps.