Full-on, is it bad?

Why are people here talking of full-on as something bad? My knowledge of sub-genres of trance is not so good (as I have pointed out before). But I think one album I have that has been described as full-on is really good, Electric Universe - Cosmic Experience. Or is it just that this album is an exception?

I don't think many people here would claim that all full-on is bad. Rather, the reason why people use the term in a derogatory fashion is that a large portion (some might say the majority) of real cack that gets released in the name of psytrance is full-on. I don't know much about the history, but I think this is largely due to the Israeli market - the fact that psytrance has gone mainstream there has inevitably led to a lot of artists making music which doesn't deserve to be called "psychedelic" or "trance" but which is marketed under the psytrance label simply because the artists were inspired to make it after listening to the worst bits of Infected Mushroom and GMS's back catalogues. See Baba System for a fairly accurate parody.

Of course what qualifies as "real cack" is ultimately subjective, but the kind of people who hang around on psynews do have a lot in common when it comes to taste; there are people who love darkpsy and hate progressive, people who love goa and hate darkpsy and so on, but almost everyone here would agree that IM's The Gathering is good and Dali's Hectic is not.

Personally I love full-on, its how found psy & goa.

I like the Israeli style, melodic stuff which is good since I came from a regular trance background.

Its true theres alot of crap but all comes down to your own taste.

Oh it would be interesting to dig up some threads here from 2001-2003, there were strong arguments at the time. People found it difficult to undertsand how you coould have good psychedelic moments with that music. I once heard a friend say "before we had trippy music, now we have xtazy music". That summarizes well.

Look, we were compleltely drowned into FullOn from 2001 to 2007, with always the same bass, instruments, endless breaks, cheezy samples, etc all along parties and festivals...THANK YOU. Where's the creation? There is some good full on imo, but most of it is pointless because it's the same receipe used over and over again. How many are these? 30000 tracks with the exact same structure? I even wonder how the scene didn't collapse. There was even a time (2006-2007) where really the whole scene was tired of FullOn but the artists would continue, like they made the music just for the sake of making it, not for the audience. Ah well, it's much easier to stick to one receipe you knkow than inventing a new one I guess.

Personnally, in the last years I dug quite well Shift/TwistedSystem/PitchHikers, the latest Space Buddha and Chemical Drive. And before that, the first Abomination, the first XI, the first Melicia, some Psysex...but that's pretty much all.

On the contrary the most stereotyped of them all are (were) Eskimo, Skazi, GMS, Bliss, Inneraction/Painkiller and all the H2O team. Thanks the worst ones have disappeared from the circuit at last. I've been waiting for that moment for a loooong time.

Would you call AMD or Tristan Full On?

ys.

My view is that the characteristics that define full-on are quite narrow - change a couple of things in the track and it's considered something else. And the audiotextural qualities of full-on are just not of psychedelic type, more of a mass appeal type. As a long time psytrance listener this genre is just dull to put it short.

Full-on has in my opinion zero "standard" or "general" qualities that I'd say can't be found better/deeper made in other subgenres - on melody department the new/old school goa has the edge easily, and on the fx trickery side there's darkpsy.

End of rant!

e.

here are my recommendations:

koxbox - u-turn

the misted muppet - from the legend

scatterbrain - infernal angel

tryambaka - the colour of time

After spending a lot of time listening to DI.fm and various full-on albums and compilations, there is no denying that there's so much pure shit in there(Soulless, repetitious crap). Then again, when someone manages to make good or even great full-on, then I find myself getting very much into it again. I just wish that would happen more often.

Why are people here talking of full-on as something bad? My knowledge of sub-genres of trance is not so good (as I have pointed out before). But I think one album I have that has been described as full-on is really good, Electric Universe - Cosmic Experience. Or is it just that this album is an exception?

Indeed that is a good album, and it is very much full on.

However yeh, there isn't anything inherently bad with full on, it's just a lot of it is crap. Another great artist to check out is Xerox and Illumination, their latest album and their first album is great IMO, just look at helium off their first album. Hell even sun project does better than average full on (wicked had some pretty good tracks, not too sure about their latest album however). Hell even gms's earlier stuff wasn't too bad. Their remix of reload was great.

but yeh, basically... when I goto isratrance and download a full on mix of artists I don't recognise and its full of really plastic sounding crap with lots of artists I don't recognise, that gets you jaded about the genre quickly. Although it would seem there's a bit of darkpsy heading that way too.

New full on isn't good for me, more is tralalala, how i see now (pop full on) :S

Some old are really good, now i like more psy then full on like Slum, Phi, Twisted System, Jaws Underground...

Today from 100 full on tracks 10 are good, thats not enough.

Scene going down but parties still have much people.Why?

I think trancers aren't serious today.

Maybe i wrong, maybe is only my taste and thinking, let me know ;)

IMO the problem with the Full On scene (and the reason that it's regarded as pure shit) is simple.

Most ppl believe that Full On=Israeli Morning Clubby Full On which is a HUGE MISTAKE.

Israeli Morning blah, blah Full On is only a subcategory of Full On. And I can tell you that the Full On field is pretty diversed.

Absolum-Inside The Sphere and the first CPU albums are Full On. Yet they are agressive, metallic, pure badass psytrance.

Rastaliens and Fractal Glider's latest stuff are Full On. Yet they are pure melodic non-cheesy trippy stuff.

Miraculix and Orca are Full On. Yet they are dark-ish melodic stompers.

And don't even wanna start about the South African scene.

The bottom line is that FULL ON IS NOT ONLY ISRAELI CHEESY FULL ON. Simple as that and yes I do like full on a lot! As long it's not cheesy and poppy. But this goes for every psy subgenre. I don't like cheesy Goa either. Or Progressive which is after all a much more cheesy subgrenre than Full On IMO.

I don't think anyone disagrees that the majority of the full on that it get released is indeed crap. But putting everything with a rolling bassline in the recycled bin is not very wise IMO.

Nothing really bad at first with Full on, it has known its golden age with several releases including Hom Mega with Astrix - Eye to Eye, Cosma - Non Stop, Psysex - Hardcore Blastoff. We could also named Infected Mushroom despite they were between full on & psy & never know how really situate them.

Indeed someone here in this thread, told full on is an Israeli thing mainly, that's quite true. What happened is that full on evolved to more commercial influences like Hardtrance, resulting easy tricks, tips to get the more effect on the most people possible with sounds you could listen to when you're at the funfair.

About Absolum mentioned by Ormion, it's not really typical Full on, it's darker, more aggressive it's closer to the South African style somehow despite Absolum style is anterior to it.

For both case, i consider their style as psy-full on & not plently full on.

And the trend norm of Full on is so at 85% pure crap today.

About Absolum mentioned by Ormion, it's not really typical Full on, it's darker, more aggressive it's closer to the South African style somehow despite Absolum style is anterior to it.

For both case, i consider their style as psy-full on & not plently full on.

Well why only the Israeli style can be considered as pure full on and not the more aggressive stuff?

After all full on as a term means energy so the purest form Full On for me is the Absolum style and not the Israeli stuff.

This is how I see it: Back in 2000 the were two sides of Full On. The Alien Project/Astrix style which was born from the GMS formula and the more aggressive 3D Vision style which was born from Absolum-Wild.

Eventually the Astrix style dominated the releases and sales, which led many ppl to believe that Full On is just that, while they were other more aggressive Full On acts even from the early 2000's.

IMO of course.

Well why only the Israeli style can be considered as pure full on and not the more aggressive stuff?

After all full on as a term means energy so the purest form Full On for me is the Absolum style and not the Israeli stuff.

This is how I see it: Back in 2000 the were two sides of Full On. The Alien Project/Astrix style which was born from the GMS formula and the more aggressive 3D Vision style which was born from Absolum-Wild.

Eventually the Astrix style dominated the releases and sales, which led many ppl to believe that Full On is just that, while they were other more aggressive Full On acts even from the early 2000's.

IMO of course.

3d vision is full on without doubt whereas Absolum is psy-full on (i consider his albums) it's different , i don't mix both.

Coz i already wrote it the aggressive side take more influences from the psytrance , darker can't be considered the same. Full on is about ENERGY not agressivity that's the spot! Full on is mainstream dancefloor, 3d vision so, Absolum's album can't be qualified as mainstream that's all.

Furthermore Israeli's scene has always been influenced by the club scene, for example Astrix before being the real writer of Alien Project songs has released tons of unknow tracks qualified as Nitzohot.

maybe we can welcome the next minimal era soon. once the people were fed up with multilayered oldschool sound and there came the minimal and techy psy sound, now they're growing tired of all this noisy fullon... it all goes round in circles. I wouldn't mind personally... :)

But I think one album I have that has been described as full-on is really good, Electric Universe - Cosmic Experience. Or is it just that this album is an exception?

This is like a meteor diamond crushing upon the earth's surface. That album is mighty amazing. Living proof of how full on can be powerful, and fun.

Other than that, I'd place my money on Ormion's words. He seems to fancy the wilder and agressive side of psy. Some of that older 3D Vision stuff is incredible. Pure power. Timeless and relentless full on. Objectively, The AMD album was great, and that V/A God Save The Machine release on TIP World was out of this world! Outrageously good, and there goes me with my theory of how I'd never again write anything positive about that label :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, those releases are scattered, random fragments in the hinterland of my memory...

maybe we can welcome the next minimal era soon. once the people were fed up with multilayered oldschool sound and there came the minimal and techy psy sound, now they're growing tired of all this noisy fullon... it all goes round in circles. I wouldn't mind personally... :)

I would!

Minimal psy should die and never-ever live again. :P

I would!

Minimal psy should die and never-ever live again. :P

maybe the term minimal wasn't picked wisely, basically I was just thinking of a more stripped down, less agressive and earpiercing sound, music that actually IS tranceinducing and doesn't make you run for the next aspirin. but that's another discussion

I really like the israeli sound from 2000 to 2003, when the music was beautiful and without any cluby chedda.

I also think that the term Full On is sometimes misplaced. The same with Progressive.

maybe the term minimal wasn't picked wisely, basically I was just thinking of a more stripped down, less agressive and earpiercing sound, music that actually IS tranceinducing and doesn't make you run for the next aspirin. but that's another discussion

I was just kidding, don't worry :)

There used to be pretty good full on imo pre 2004, like Fractal Gliders and old Protoculture, old rastaliens, old Digicult, the first Benza release and many South Africans and some more, but after that I gave up on this sub genre, there's probably some great stuff out there, but it's like searching for a needle in a haystack for me.

If the new IM is supposed to be full-on I guess I see what direction the genre is going, I started to listen to this type of music (goa) because I felt it was really unique, before I discovered goa I listened to really commercial louzy trance, goa changed my whole music taste, in the better , I started to appreciate music I never listened to before, I guess I can say more mature, adult music, I can't say full on brutally raped goatrance in the asshole, I mean, it's more like a blend between commercial trance and goa-trance, but the line between commercial and goa-trance is getting thinner every singel year, the underground, psychedelic theme, the freedom, the magical melodies, the immagination, and the rawness of it all is what was so very attractive about goatrance, but it seems it's getting lost now, God bless labels like Suntrip!!!

When I discovered goa I never went back to all the commercial shit that brainwashed and hi-jacked my musical taste :wacko: , and now full on is blending it all together again, look at IM, they were so great in the beginning, but now.... you know. :mellow:

It would be the best, if we make a list with recommendable Full On releases.

Some of my favs:

VA - Neo::Caine - 2006

VA - Origin... Stage 3 - 2007

VA - God Save The Machine - 2006

VA - Beaches And Cream - 2004

VA - Wingmakers 1+2 - 2004/8

VA - Get Your Wonk On - 2007

Mr. Peculiar - All Albums

AMD - Bigfish - 2007

Silicon Sound - Pure Analog - 2003

Orion - Artificial Frequencies/Electric Behaviour

Zen Mechanics - Holy Cities - 2008

Cosma - Nonstop - 2003

Etnica Remixed - 2007

Hux Flux - Division By Zero - 2003

i really enjoyed talamsca's zodiac album (example for good fullon. there's better, but it's still a good album with the distinct 'talamasca style'), but i saw them live last friday. their perfomance was completely generic isreali fullon that was 100% predictable. even the melody of the bassline was the same with every track. it's boring, generic, cheap fullon like that (+ ultra-cheesy pop-fullon of course) that gives the genre a bad name. (moreover i think that fullon is overrepresented at parties)