The official Suomisaundi thread!

exotic

I dedicate this thread to all artists & fans of this amazing sub-genre of psytrance. I'm slowly but slowly realizing and finding out that its so much better than the normal mainstream psytrance which is mostly uninspiring and unoriginal. Suomi is exactly what psytrance is not or what it is trying to be.

the new EvsY album is a perfect example of the combination of modern psytrance and old skool acid with the massive baselines and maximal structures while retaining the essence of goa-trance ; the main focus is always on melodies and high frequency craziness. a heavy duty album for heavy duty people :posford:

I urge all pagans to give this album and genre a try if you haven't already since i hardly see a mention of suomi here and believe you me , you just might come out a fan!

:)

+1 for EvsY

I also have enjoyed Sir El from Troll Scientists

as well as Quacktastic from Crazy Ducks last year

But to be honest, I have not even heard of a lot of Suomi stuff

except for the names you always hear like

Troll Scientists

Luomuhappo

Texas FaGGoTT

Mandalavandalz

Salakavala

all of which I have heard and enjoyed at least some of

but I would dig hearing more...

Suggestions?

oh yeah, I also heard Haltya - Electric Help Elves and thought it was pretty nice.

In the spirit of the thread, I'm giving another spin to EvsY...

good stuff

Suomisaundi is excellent, one of the positive sides to living in Funland. We have a sort of "share for free" and "fuck the sound quality" culture here - lots of free releases with so and so mastering to be found. The officially released suomisaundi is of good sound quality thou, usually.

Some officially released goods:

Texas Faggott / Petomans Peflett

EvsY / Virtuosi Di Quosi

Haltya / Forest Flavour

Outolintu / Odd Man Out

va / No Tone Unstirred

va / Hectic Dialect

Squaremeat / Jungle Boogie Party Line

va / Custom File

Don't know much about this style tbh. Just listening to the track 'Troll Scientists - Fishermans Symphony', quite funny stuff.

Actually sounds like a mix of Euro House and computer game music, definitely a "feel good track". :posford:

:wub: oh my... what a lovely thread :wub:

I totally agree with u exotic... this is true psychedelia :D

I just got Squaremeat - Wave Soup... (from 2000) and seriously, its some of the best music I have heard for a long while! Could have been released yesterday!

I praise this sub.genre :wub:

:P

There's also the releases from 6 Dimension Soundz with Sci Forest & of Course Mandalavandalz ( a side project of Texas Faggot), you can add Antiscarp rec too for Suomisaundi.

Not fully Suomisaundoi but quite closed, more Forest Trance oriented there's the debut album from Ozmali B)

Stopped enjoying suomi about 2 years ago, it sounds more full on now.

Thats one reason i probably started enjoying it more. artists like salakalava, sattle battle , exxus and seinis have managed to incorporate the goodness of full on with the funk of spugadelic . im guessing you still depend on haltya for your dose of suomi.

you sound more full-on <_<

:P

No, really... they have all taken fullonish road, kiwa has taken proggy one.

Any new release isn't half it used to be, so I'm listening to older releases and fresh stuff doesn't appeal.

No, really... they have all taken fullonish road, kiwa has taken proggy one.

Any new release isn't half it used to be, so I'm listening to older releases and fresh stuff doesn't appeal.

So u say that all Suomi artist have taken the full-onish toad (except kiwa) :o Sorry but that doesn't really make sense to me, I presume you talk about the sub-genre full-on and not the describing term of full on (energetic)... I only have heard a few examples of this "trend" were the most pronounced would probably be Sienis - From A Nutter Perspective. I respect (of course) that you don't like "any" new suomi, but I don't understand your argument... please elaborate! Because I simply feel it is pretty mis-informative?! I mean fullon?! common!

I agree with Drosophila.

I've listened to a loooooot of Suomi the last years and I find really hard to think of some artist that gone more full on-ish.

Of course they have changed/evolved their style over the years, but full on? I don't think so.

So u say that all Suomi artist have taken the full-onish toad (except kiwa) :o Sorry but that doesn't really make sense to me, I presume you talk about the sub-genre full-on and not the describing term of full on (energetic)... I only have heard a few examples of this "trend" were the most pronounced would probably be Sienis - From A Nutter Perspective. I respect (of course) that you don't like "any" new suomi, but I don't understand your argument... please elaborate! Because I simply feel it is pretty mis-informative?! I mean fullon?! common!

It doesn't really have to make any sense to you, but it does to me. And yes, I'm taking about sub-genres, not describing "energetic". You might prove me wrong and I might discover some interesting albums, just name a few that aren't examples of this trend.

I loved suomi, I'm still listening to some older stuff but the newer doesn't appeal to me and there must be a reason for that. What I have noticed, is that their sound has changed, it has moved towards "full on" - more predictable and straightforward, similar sounds, etc. and if you extrapolate there might be some 1-2 minute breaks in future. That is why I don't enjoy this kind of music now (new albums, compils).

This is what I feel, this is my personal opinion and once again this doesn't exactly have to make any sense to someone, but I know I constantly meet people sharing same thoughts about modern suomi.

I think the holy grail of suomisaundi is and will be Texas Faggott's Petomans Peflett. If you compare to that, the sound has changed indeed. In Texas Faggott's case for the worse... but not all artists have gone downhill; for example I found Squaremeat (nowadays it's called 'Squarefeet' btw) deput to be weak and they're gazillion times better on their new tracks such as 'Mankeli' and 'Golden Accordion', excellent goa-nish "full-on", yet firmly suomisaundi.

I find the new more dancefloor oriented suomi welcomed, and if you really want that old school type of suomi it's still around... you just gotta dig deeper.

I think the holy grail of suomisaundi is and will be Texas Faggott's Petomans Peflett. If you compare to that, the sound has changed indeed. In Texas Faggott's case for the worse... but not all artists have gone downhill; for example I found Squaremeat (nowadays it's called 'Squarefeet' btw) deput to be weak and they're gazillion times better on their new tracks such as 'Mankeli' and 'Golden Accordion', excellent goa-nish "full-on", yet firmly suomisaundi.

I find the new more dancefloor oriented suomi welcomed, and if you really want that old school type of suomi it's still around... you just gotta dig deeper.

Supeeerb tracks! :wub: