Best new releases?

Lemmiwinks

I've listened to a few 2009 releases at the beginning of the year and after a few weeks/months they ALL got old (even the mighty Merrow). So I was wondering, what other interesting psy is out there? (for the record, my main interest is melodic psy, be it full-on or goa, and I also have a soft spot for dark psy).

So far for me in 2009:

MossTrance: VA - YggdraSounds II A very strong and mature release with hidden suprises and an impressive sound.

Charming FullOn: La Mila - Search Your Dream Just good and positiv FullOn music to be played at dusk.

FullOn Club-Techno with AcidPunk: Sabretooth - Sabretooth 2 wrote a pretty shitty review of it, but it managed to impress me a little after more listens and another mind set. Nothing great, but for sure nothing bad.

Brown Acid in flickering Darkness: Arsenic - Arithmetix Looking for something special, you found it! read my review!

EventyrPsy: PoF - Chaos Opera This can hit you as grey techno psytrance FullOn trance, and it is, but dive inside and you'll find so many colours you won't even believe it. And to have the original CD with cover and booklet and all feels really solid. It has a 100% solid feel to it, like TimeCode Recs really invested to make this shit stick.

I gotta say psy hasn't really been my thing thus far in 2009... :(

But this is not meant to discourage you, just a subjective overlook.

I will however urge you to give this one a listen: http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=55626

I also recommend you try the Amanians EP released as a WAV download (buy it over @ Juno). And even though it's not really my thing, you might want to try out Psykovsky's latest.

In brief: V/A People Walk Funny and Solar Fields' Movements are the only psy orientated releases which impressed me front to back so far this year. Filteria's album has 3-4 gems I come back to frequently, but the album as a whole doesn't get that much play time.

Principles of Flight - Chaos Opera

MUTe - On/Off (progg)

Loud - Digital Hippie EP

Psilodump - The Nya Albumet (break/electro/experimental/dnb/whatever)

Spoonbill - Zoomorphic (chill/break/electronic/I don't know)

VA - Permutations Vol.2 (minimal)

No so much full on.

If you have a soft spot for dark psy you must not miss checking out entropy - think slow move fast. some really hard twisted dark in there.

and if you dont mind some funky suomi then the new EvsY album is what i would recommend.

I'd second Principles of Flight - Chaos Opera easily the best of the year so far in my book!

Listened to it 30 times in a row and then gave it a break and it was still great!

Good sign ;)

I don't understand the hype for Principle of Flight , the first album was just a copycat of some trendy stuffs at the time such as The Misted Muppets, nothing more nothing less; quite strange to me :blink:

I don't understand the hype for Principle of Flight , the first album was just a copycat of some trendy stuffs at the time such as The Misted Muppets, nothing more nothing less; quite strange to me :blink:

I dont know their debut but I got the Misted album and except for the hectic tempo (that can be a little to runny at times), this album is very different in sound structure. And besides, its nice to have a couple of albums on the marked that are obvious in story/conceptual .I agree that there has been some very exited words about it and I lean a little towards thinking it can suffer a over hypement, but I think the price is it will reveal more and more over time, i think even in some years I'll come to that stage in awe. maybe. For people who like to buy albums the whole effort in making a beautiful package with booklet + etc in digipackaging. it is very solid, quality. But of course that might not be important in its essence of talking music but its for sure appreciated!

:)

puff anyway, i like it, very happy to own it

Have you heard this then? I was a bit surprised that he already did released a full album in the past, and even more surprised that the tracks there are even better than the ones released with Atriohm. Great stuff!

That album is fucking good. I haven't even listened to the split one on Parvati yet. Maybe I should give it a spin :D

Guest antic

That album is fucking good. I haven't even listened to the split one on Parvati yet. Maybe I should give it a spin :D

You should, it's one of the better dark-psy releases recently.

I agree with a lot of folks on here that there have not been tons of stellar releases

but I have really enjoyed quite a few from the 2009 offerings.

Sure some of its cheese, but so what? If you can dance or chill to it, why not?

Here's a selection of what I have at least enjoyed this year along with a general category...

(please don't get all upset if you disagree with how I categorize the releases, they are just for simple reference) :)

Yotopia - Connect the Dots (prog)

Wi']['ch - The Hypersub (darkpsy)

Vibe Tribe - Destination Unknown (fullon)

Unwashed Tomato - Shovel Ready (darkpsy)

Troll Scientists - Sir El (suomi)

Transwave - Frontfire (goa/psy)

Talamasca vs XSI - One (fullon)

Solar Spectrum - Planes of Existence (prog)

Solar Fields - Movements (ambient)

Side Liner - Crying Cities (ambient)

Shift - Dirty Signal (twilight/sa/darkon)

Psypsiq Jicuri - A New World (fullon)

Psykovsky - Da Budget (darkpsy)

Principles of Flight - Chaos Opera (fullon)

Phonic Request - Skulls and Bones (fullon)

Penta - Give Me Five (darkpsy)

Ocelot - One (ambient)

Neelix - You're Under Control (prog)

Mute - On/Off (prog)

Merr0w - Born Underwater (goa/psy)

Malice In Wonderland - Mad Moments (darkpsy)

Mahamudra - Simplicity to Complexity (fullon)

Maelstrom - Lights On (prog)

Killer Buds vs Xtatic - Killer Instinct (fullon)

Jesus Raves - Sick Brain (darkpsy)

Hypnotic Mushroom - Obscure Forest (darkpsy)

Hujaboy - Cut the Power (goa/psy)

Geko - Poison Flowers (fullon)

Frozen Ghost - Sin For Dinner (twilight/SA/darkon)

Fitalic - Shanghai Road (prog)

Filteria - Daze of Our Lives (goa/psy)

Far East Ghost - Emperor (darkpsy)

EvsY - Virtuosi Di Quosi (suomi)

Dragon - In.Formation (darkpsy)

Disco Hooligans - Clear Skies (fullon)

Day.Din - A Place to be Real (prog)

CPC - Subliminal Messages (darkpsy)

Bluetech - The Divine Invasion (ambient)

Afgin - Astral Experience (goa/psy)

I'm sure there could be more, but these are some albums I have taken in on occasion and had a good time listening to and probably would spin again.

Hope this gives you some suggestions to work with - cheers.

PsyON

In terms of full-on heres my top 5 so far of this year

Beat Hackers - Not For Sale

Intersys - Recharge

Transwave - Frontfire

Various - Trance Red Zone - Turning Point

Vibe Tribe - Destination Unknown

Although I have only brought 10 full-on CDs so far

Just got Morfix - Unstable, havent given that a good listen yet