Dark Progressive

Ake

I just love Zenon Records, and i'm sure many people do. Cosmic Conspiracy Records and Bio-Sine Records are also quite good. But that's it afaik, there are not more labels with this kind of sound. On the other side there are many labels (like Spintwist, Blue Tunes, Iono, etc) that produce the "normal" progressive (psy) sound. You have at least 30 releases per year that offer this sound, but if you prefer rather dark/minimal progressive, there are only around 5-8 releases per year. how come?

maybe it's more complicated to produce good dark/minimal prog?

or maybe it's because the normal 'trancey' prog works better on parties and festivals?

what do you think?

yeah, the sales issue is a huge one

too bad darker stuff does not get more love

I'd personally love to see much more dark/minimal/prog stuff

since the darkpsy and prog stuff is what is really floating my boat these days

I'd love to hear more of it mixed together

haste the day...

maybe I'll just have to go into the lab and MAKE some

I've wanted to get started, maybe this could be my motivation

PsyON

I just love Zenon Records, and i'm sure many people do. Cosmic Conspiracy Records and Bio-Sine Records are also quite good. But that's it afaik, there are not more labels with this kind of sound. On the other side there are many labels (like Spintwist, Blue Tunes, Iono, etc) that produce the "normal" progressive (psy) sound. You have at least 30 releases per year that offer this sound, but if you prefer rather dark/minimal progressive, there are only around 5-8 releases per year. how come?

maybe it's more complicated to produce good dark/minimal prog?

or maybe it's because the normal 'trancey' prog works better on parties and festivals?

what do you think?

Here in Copenhagen, this is what people want. Neelix, Insane Creation, and when it has to be really psychedelic, we call GMS or Astrix.... UHUUU!

Here in Copenhagen, this is what people want. Neelix, Insane Creation, and when it has to be really psychedelic, we call GMS or Astrix.... UHUUU!

people suck here :P

Well it's true, I think a lot has to do with the people buying/going to prog parties.. thay actually don't want it to be psychedelic (maybe they want it to be called psy??!) They want what they are used to, easily digested and easily mixed stuff (last point maybe made by the DJs??! :P)

I never hear deep/dark or psychedelic prog at parties here... but people still love minimal :unsure:

Really?! Insane Creation is ok, but Neelix is horribly gay! (the sound, not the person) :rolleyes:

It's a shame there are not much dark progressive (even progressive-house died long time ago :s :unsure: ) left today, for dark progressive just a few artists and albums I can remember ... the rest I call it minimal trance with a dark feeling, but not progressive IMO.

I can recall now old Haldolium, Auricular, Sensum, Ticon (aero),Cujorioius One, and a few tracks by Sensient ... yes I know they are all old stuff, but my love for progressive died long time ago when it became to be more and more influenced by electro and minimal sounds.

Being a little offtopic, I think that minimal and electro are the cancer of electronic music today, every thing that touches loses it's soul and become easy, repetitive, predictive and boring. I mean for someone like me who really was into progressive, albums like old GU, Balance 002 - Kasey Tailor, GU NuBreed 006 - Satoshi Tomiie, GU NuBreed 001 - Anthony Pappa, and of course old Sasha and Digweed magic sets; that's what progressive is all about!!!

There are also good examples of combination with minimal and electro that are pretty good like Balance 005 - James Holden, Balance 007- Chris Fortier or some James Zabiela's stuff, but most of the music today that has that minimal-electro flavour I can not stand.

Really?! Insane Creation is ok, but Neelix is horribly gay! (the sound, not the person) :rolleyes:

I always wondered about the praise that fell upon Neelix within psy communities. Neelix is a typical commercial house with all the peculiar disco/clubby cheesiness and stuff. But for some uncertain reason he's being occasionally cited within psy(??)trance(??) context.

For darker psyprog I think I could only mention Sensient.

I'm curious, would Noma - Navigator be considered dark progressive?

I'd definitely say yes.

Albeit that it's some extraordinarily GOOD dark progressive! ;)

btw, check out Prex if you like Noma :)

Speaking of dark progressive, I've found this old mix. Please let me know if you know some recent and fresh albums or releases having a similar sound ;)

there're two Haldolium tracks in the mix, one is Diabolika, I can't recall the name of the other one atm. Be sure to check their albums "Deagua" and "H2", both top notch dark prog/psy. I never grew tired of Haldolium, two of my all time favourite albums, especially Deagua. the other stuff was more tribal... there was a lot of this stuff around 2000. Maybe check the first two "Klangstrahler Projekt" albums, just to toss in a name.

edit: sorry, I just noticed you were searching for recent releases like this... well, good luck then :P

there're two Haldolium tracks in the mix, one is Diabolika, I can't recall the name of the other one atm. Be sure to check their albums "Deagua" and "H2", both top notch dark prog/psy. I never grew tired of Haldolium, two of my all time favourite albums, especially Deagua. the other stuff was more tribal... there was a lot of this stuff around 2000. Maybe check the first two "Klangstrahler Projekt" albums, just to toss in a name.

edit: sorry, I just noticed you were searching for recent releases like this... well, good luck then :P

Thanks for the suggestions, definitively I'm gonna check out Klangstrahler Projekt and Prex (btw Noma Navigator is great too :clapping: ). I mean if there is some recent music like this I would like to know, but old recomendations are welcome too. I stopped looking for progressive psy a while ago, and I wanna know if there is still out there something according to my taste.

So keep the names and releases comming, be them old or new stuff what matters is them to be good :)

Thanks for the suggestions, definitively I'm gonna check out Klangstrahler Projekt and Prex (btw Noma Navigator is great too :clapping: ). I mean if there is some recent music like this I would like to know, but old recomendations are welcome too. I stopped looking for progressive psy a while ago, and I wanna know if there is still out there something according to my taste.

So keep the names and releases comming, be them old or new stuff what matters is them to be good :)

Klangstrahler Projekt ... I rather precieved them as hippie style psy music (not "bad" hippie style though), not really dark at all ... but still good, only in a different way...

If you like Klangstrahler Projekt, then check out old Feuerhake ... it's very much in that style...

Totally different league to Prex though ... I actually recommended Prex because Noma was one of the two members ;)

The other member was S-Range ... and his old stuff (pre-2001-album) was pretty dark progressive too ... Serial Overtypes for example...

Old Matenda (mostly pre-"Tunnel Vision" stuff ... although the track Pusher on this one is awesomeness!) ... Bonaca/Mission Impossible, Moment/Sophisticated Mind ... definitely awesome. Also check out compilation tracks.

Old 12 Moons stuff is dark prog aswell ... track Elak Jävel for example and many more ... and furthermore it's free because 12 Moons decided to put all his own releases online ( http://www.12moons.se/ ... look there!).

Also check old Magnetrixx! Tritschall and Phase Shift albums were great ... Tohuwabohu FTW!

Mittelstandskinder Ohne Strom were awesome too! And Zerotonine! And Spirallianz!

You should check the stuff of the Vibration compilation series from Com.Pact/Medium/Midijum (that series went through three labels!) ... they've got a pretty good style aswell!

And actually, Shiva Chandra stuff is pretty much in that vein aswell ... stuff from Auricular album in particular. Also check out the group Auricular. And Prime Time Plastix. Many similarities in the sound ... which is obvious, because Daniel Vernunft is a member of all three...

(wow, I never realized I'm such a sucker for dark prog ... but I am ^_^ )

edit: also check Anakoluth-Dwelling In The Void EP ... available for free from Ektoplazm: http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/anakol...in-the-void-ep/

also Etnoscope ... all EPs before their first (and one and only) album ... with tribal elements ... excellent!

Of course there is many great early progressive, and in comparison to today's progressive it's all rather "dark".

Early iboga releases (2000-2003) are also somehow similar to this mix posted by JISNEGRO.

Anyway, i will now sum up the labels that release good and rather dark progressive nowadays,

since this was the purpose of this thread (not that i mind you guys to discuss other prog styles as well):

Zenon Records

Cosmic Conspiracy Records

Bio-Sine Records

Crotus Records

Electric Power Pole Records

These are the labels that you should check out if you like funky/minimal/dark progressive psytrance.

Feel free to add labels (or particular releases) that fit into that list if you can think of any. :)