dubious methods in the psytrance scene (?)

Ake

hey,

i just noticed that some "new releases" only pretend to be new. i spotted 3 different cases so far, but i'm sure there are much more:

1. Sensient - Offworld : All 3 tracks have already been released years ago, 2 of them were even slightly renamed for this EP, obviously in order to to decoy possible buyers.

2. Various - Electric Space : The exact same release is offered on beatport, but released by a different label. "Release year": 2009

3. Bena Riamba - BC : In this case i am one of the "victims". I was impressed by the samples on beatport and bought the complete release as WAV. Apparently i was a little overhasty, some minutes later i noticed that all tracks were already released in 2004 on a compilation by the same label (Crotus Records), which i even own!

Feel free to laugh at me. ;)

Additionally i bought the track 'Sabiani - Lactobacillus Acidophilus' from the EP 'Sweet Girl'. I sent an email to Crotus Records and asked if this track is also an old one pretending to be new (i was friendly though). I got a reply from Brian Jensen who said "I dont run crotus anymore. It was bought by a German guy also running Plusquam." So i sent a mail to Plusquam Records and asked if they really bought Crotus Records, which they denied. Quite strange, isn't it?

It seems there's not only love and good vibes in the psytrance scene. Any comments or explanations are welcome. :)

3. Bena Riamba - BC : In this case i am one of the "victims". I was impressed by the samples on beatport and bought the complete release as WAV. Apparently i was a little overhasty, some minutes later i noticed that all tracks were already released in 2004 on a compilation by the same label (Crotus Records), which i even own!

Feel free to laugh at me. ;)

Additionally i bought the track 'Sabiani - Lactobacillus Acidophilus' from the EP 'Sweet Girl'. I sent an email to Crotus Records and asked if this track is also an old one pretending to be new (i was friendly though). I got a reply from Brian Jensen who said "I dont run crotus anymore. It was bought by a German guy also running Plusquam." So i sent a mail to Plusquam Records and asked if they really bought Crotus Records, which they denied. Quite strange, isn't it?

It seems there's not only love and good vibes in the psytrance scene. Any comments or explanations are welcome. :)

*points and laughs* haa ha!

I have in the past bought a CD I liked the sound of in the shop only to get home and notice that I already own it :ph34r:

Seriously though, this sort of thing sucks but I doubt it is a new thing. There has been unscrupulous people in the psy-scene for a long time. It is the best disguise as so many people think that all psy people must be kind, honest, caring PLUR people. Unfortunately not true.

I got a reply from Brian Jensen who said "I dont run crotus anymore. It was bought by a German guy also running Plusquam." So i sent a mail to Plusquam Records and asked if they really bought Crotus Records, which they denied. Quite strange, isn't it?

Plusquam Records (and Midijum Records and Synergetic Records) are now owned by the guy who also owns Psytropic Records, Thomas Vitali aka Chemicus aka Psynina. If Plusquam has bought Crotus it means really that Vitali has bought it. Try asking Vitali direct.

Plusquam Records (and Midijum Records and Synergetic Records) are now owned by the guy who also owns Psytropic Records, Thomas Vitali aka Chemicus aka Psynina. If Plusquam has bought Crotus it means really that Vitali has bought it. Try asking Vitali direct.

First official Psy travesty?

BTW things like that happen a long time now. Anyone remember Hypnotic records?

What a news.

Plusquam & Midijum used to be respectable progressive labels, furthermore Plusquam was at first, just the sub label progressive division of Spirit Zone, later bought by someone of the sub label i think( forgot his name... dj Laureth ?). Same Midijum was held by Dj Bim also involved in Com.pact i think.

I'd like to understand how it's possible but seems true. Because Psytropic has always appeared to me as quite small label thingy with few releases (not especially milestones) & some connections with Trancelucent if i remember well.

So this Vitali must be naturally a rich guy? :unsure::blink:

First official Psy travesty?

BTW things like that happen a long time now. Anyone remember Hypnotic records?

A very prolific label from Danemark with artists sometimes appearing on weird v/A from ZYX, but with some good tunes from time to time, were oftenly sounding to me such as kinda cover names of famous Goa artists whereas it was nearly the same 4-5 same artists.

A very prolific label from Danemark with artists sometimes appearing on weird v/A from ZYX, but with some good tunes from time to time, were oftenly sounding to me such as kinda cover names of famous Goa artists whereas it was nearly the same 4-5 same artists.

I really like the releases of Hypnotic records, but they seem to release the same tracklists again and again in different cds, plus some other weird stuff like the decision to instead release the second Psygone album, they decided to release the tracks in several compilations by changing Psygone name with random names to fool the buyers that they are different artists.*

*According to Psygone himself.

Just spotted another "new release": Sensient - Solistic. Both tracks already appeared on Various - Soundscapes Part 1 by Crotus Records.

Also the Progressive Killers Compilations by Plusquam Records contain several tracks that were already released in previous years.

I guess quite a lot people bought them and thought they were getting new tracks only. Actually this is more or less fraud in my opinion.

It definitely looks like Colin is correct about Plusquam/Midijum/Synergetic/Psytropic Records. I sent a mail to Plusquam Records and asked about all this. I got a reply from a guy called Thomas (Vitali?). He said that Colin is "talking crap" already since a long time, and that they don't understand my motive, even IF they were owner of Crotus Records. I replied that it's absolutely interesting for people to know which label belongs to whom. Now i'm waiting for their reply again, but i have a hunch that they will ignore me from now on.

It definitely looks like Colin is correct about Plusquam/Midijum/Synergetic/Psytropic Records. I sent a mail to Plusquam Records and asked about all this. I got a reply from a guy called Thomas (Vitali?). He said that Colin is "talking crap" already since a long time, and that they don't understand my motive, even IF they were owner of Crotus Records. I replied that it's absolutely interesting for people to know which label belongs to whom. Now i'm waiting for their reply again, but i have a hunch that they will ignore me from now on.

:lol:

Next time ask him where he finds the wigs for his Psynina live gigs.

*hey, that rhymes!*

Just spotted another "new release": Sensient - Solistic. Both tracks already appeared on Various - Soundscapes Part 1 by Crotus Records.

Also the Progressive Killers Compilations by Plusquam Records contain several tracks that were already released in previous years.

I guess quite a lot people bought them and thought they were getting new tracks only. Actually this is more or less fraud in my opinion.

Yep i confirm you the guy must be Thomas Vitali coz some years ago i've got a guy from Psytropic asking me on Isratrance to make reviews for his label releases Psytropic, & he presented himself as "Thomas Vitali headlabel of Psytropic rec". I remember perfectly that at this time, already all the Psynina rumours crap were existing & btw declined his offer as it wasn't matching my taste furthermore ... B)

this guy (thomas) offered to buy for a small fee the license for some old tracks of mine that were released on now defunct labels (crotus, zma, sub machine)...nothing to lose so i agreed. He can do what he wants with them now...same with any tracks from crotus records cause as far as i know he bought them too (?).

this guy (thomas) offered to buy for a small fee the license for some old tracks of mine that were released on now defunct labels (crotus, zma, sub machine)...nothing to lose so i agreed. He can do what he wants with them now...same with any tracks from crotus records cause as far as i know he bought them too (?).

it's interesting, so actually when a label rip, the artist gets back on the propriety of his creation. Btw this Thomas appears like having raptor's behaviour not to say scavenger :o .

ok, i've done a little more investigating. many web releases of Plusquam Records, Midijum Records and Crotus Records contain several tracks that were already released in previous years. but when browsing on beatport it appears as if they were all new tracks. so if you intend to buy web releases from these labels, it's advisable to have a look at discogs and check if you would buy freshly produced tracks or actually old tracks that pretend to be new.

• 8 months later...

just noticed another "new" release, that one is even "beatport exclusive". released 2010-03-15: here

none of the tracks are new, some are even several years old.

01.Antix & Bitmonx - Tane: Various - Widescreen, 2003, Plusquam Records

02.Liquid Soul - Choices: Various - Between The Lines. 2006, Groove Control Records

03.Vibrasphere - Floating Free (Visua Remix): Various - Royal Flush, 2009, Plusquam Records

04.Freq - Short Life Again (Ace Ventura Remix): FREq - Remixed, 2008, Iboga Records

05.Sunstryk - Leaving Eden (Zyce Remix): Various - Diamonds Vol. 2, 2009, Plusquam Records

06.Haldolium - All My Life: Haldolium - Haldolium, 2004, Plusquam Records

07.Bitmonx & Symphonix - Perfect Day: Various - Widescreen, 2003, Plusquam Records

08.Cafu - Sofa Surfer: Various - Psychedelic Groove Vol. 1, 2007, Yellow Sunshine Explosion

09.S-Range - Microchip 23 (Miracle Remix): Various - Highlights, 2006, Proton Records

10.Trancemission & Odiseo - Impulses: Various - Royal Flush, 2009, Plusquam Records

11.Echotek - Emotion Chaos: Echotek - Emotion Chaos, 2005, Time Stretch Music

12.Gms & Absolum - The Therapy: Various - The Sound Syndicate: Psychedelik Vibes Association, 2004, Arcadia Music

13.Broken Toy - Bites and Bruises: Various - Event Horizon, 2006, 24/7 Media

14.Azax Syndrom & Abomination - Real Magic: Various - Flamenco Mania, 2007, Nutek Records

15.Bliss & Painkiller - Tijuna: Various - Climate Change, 2007, Nutek Records

16.Bitmonx & DJ Fabio - Deep Sense: Various - Kodama, 2006, Plusquam Records

i still think this is quite shameless, don't you agree?

Well guys, these things have been happening in all styles of electronic music since the dawn of it. If you follow other kinds of music you know what I mean. Often it happens that someone buys the license and so he can do whatever he wants with the tracks. If he markets them as "new" I don't think he's breaking any rule or trying to deceive customers - after all when you buy something is up to you to do some research beforehand. The resources are there to use and are free. You can easily check discogs as explained already.

I have to smile at this topic. To re-release old tracks has been done for years via licenses and there's absolutely nothing illegal or bogus about it! And to re-release it on Beatport seem reasonable to me as it give people the opportunity to get tracks they otherwise would have a hard time finding (legally). And it also give artists a little money in their pockets. Money they deserve big time these days! Of course people who probably often dont buy music would argue its shameless etc.;)

I have to smile at this topic. To re-release old tracks has been done for years via licenses and there's absolutely nothing illegal or bogus about it! And to re-release it on Beatport seem reasonable to me as it give people the opportunity to get tracks they otherwise would have a hard time finding (legally). And it also give artists a little money in their pockets. Money they deserve big time these days! Of course people who probably often dont buy music would argue its shameless etc.;)

+1

but then i was also not happy buying space boogie artist albums, which contained already released compilation tracks.

of course this is happening for a long time and of course it's not criminal. but anyway, i think it's dubious, especially if certain track/artist names are slightly renamed, clearly in order to cheat buyers. for me it becomes more and more obvious that there are several cardsharpers in the scene.

If they are advertised as get these rare golden oldies here legally then I agree, it is all fine and dandy. I think the point here though is that the customers are being led to believe they are getting new material but end up with old stuff they already own (maybe) :(