Headphones

Senobyte

I think there was a topic on this ages back but I can't find it. I've got like £20000 worth of goa, psy, ambient and idm and I've been waiting to move back to Australia so I can finally buy a booming sound system and make the neighbours ears bleed. It looks like I'll never move back if I'm honest with myself, so I want to justice for the music and buy some quality over ear headphones, can you groovers recommend some please?

Buget is around £300.

Any thoughts on:

Audio Technica - ATH AD1000

Denon - AH-D5000

AKG - K702

I appreciate your help

I want to justice for the music and buy some quality over ear headphones, can you groovers recommend some please?

Buget is around £300.

So nice to hear that in these times some people will spend so much on a h/phone set :drama:

I think there was a topic on this ages back but I can't find it. I've got like £20000 worth of goa, psy, ambient and idm and I've been waiting to move back to Australia so I can finally buy a booming sound system and make the neighbours ears bleed. It looks like I'll never move back if I'm honest with myself, so I want to justice for the music and buy some quality over ear headphones, can you groovers recommend some please?

Buget is around £300.

Any thoughts on:

Audio Technica - ATH AD1000

Denon - AH-D5000

AKG - K702

I appreciate your help

Hello there :)

There are some good ones outhere , each one with it's own speciality.

I personally recommend Audio-Technica , i've been working with them for some long years and never disapointed. Sound is clear the stereo perception is really very good and you also get a real good resolution on the sounds themselves so that you can tweak them really well in all aspects.

Here are the one's i've used , price is affordable and quality is top-notch and these headphones can last a lifetime.

Only thing is that , i wish they would make replacable parts , but i guess the price compensates that.

Posted Image

My 1st monitor headphones and real good!

Posted Image

The next model to M20 and my current headphones to date.

Any doubts you can PM me or just check Audio-Technica's page Audio Technica but you probably might have checked it already :)

Best of luck on your purchase!

/Filipe

Note.- These headphones are mostly for production work , if you want headphones for listening only do some more research and try to find the ones that you think that fit your specifications the most! :)

I don't know which ones to recommend in that price range, but I want to make one important point.

Do NOT buy DJ headphones! I imagine that doesn't go for producers' headphones, but if you buy headphones for djs, a big problem is that they might be very tight, in order to keep outside noise out. If you're dj-ing, that's not a problem, but for homelistening it's a pain in the, errr, ear. Really.

I really wanted to use my dj-phones to listen to music while in trains or whatever, but it doesn't work... my ears start to get warm and start to hurt within 15 minutes.

My DJ headphones are Technics RPDJ 1210. The ones I use for everyday listening are cheap (€30) AKG, but I really like the quality of those.

Hope that helps even the slightest bit.

I don't know which ones to recommend in that price range, but I want to make one important point.

Do NOT buy DJ headphones! I imagine that doesn't go for producers' headphones, but if you buy headphones for djs, a big problem is that they might be very tight, in order to keep outside noise out. If you're dj-ing, that's not a problem, but for homelistening it's a pain in the, errr, ear. Really.

I can confirm from at least the ones i have , producer headphones , they are very comfortable and they have to be , because it's a tool that we spend so much time with . For DJing , there are some DJ's here that can give some good advice .

/Filipe

I have the AD900 and the AD2000 from Audio Technica, and i'm very happy with them both.

I never listened to the AD1000 but they have the same aural signature then the AD2000. They are pretty pricey though, and last i checked you could get an AD2000 for the same price (ordering from Japan).

The AD900 are very cheap though, about 150€ delivered from JP; and the differences between the AD900 and the AD2000 aren't that big to my ears, at least not big enough to justify spending 200 more €.

The sweet thing about those phones is that you don't need a very good (read: pricy) amp to get them to sound good.

Something in the 100-200€ price range would be way enough, and they would still sound good if you just wanted to plug them into an ipod.

Anyway you should check on head-fi and browse their forums, as i always say if you have a question about headphones.. the answer is already there waiting for you.

In case you don't, the general feeling about those phones is that they are very good for electronic music (fast, detailed, nice bass, etc).

I really need to avoid threads like these, all i do is read them for days and convince myself I need another pair of headphones, when I really don't :rolleyes:

BTW 800 $ is just way too much for the ATH-AD2000 (amazon prices)

to make this post useful, if i were you, i'd probably jump on the DT880 myself.

Check out the Grado Labs 325's

Rock solid construction, no plastic, will last forever. Best sound quality you've every heard.

What ever headphones you get, make sure the cups are attached to the headband strongly, I've broken more Sens & Sony's cups off that I care to count. Which is what led to the Grado's. I got super tired of breaking headphones when tranced out.

I got AKG 701's and they are absolutely great for home listening.

Open concept cans that will not immediately overwhelm/fatigue your ear, nice padding and flexible design.

Needles to say they sound really good and reveal the detail staying "true" to the sound unlike say some DJ headphones that will color it.

Not sure about 702 model. It looks pretty much the same as 701 except for the color so I'm not sure what the difference is, if any.

I hear good things about Grado as well but don't own a pair so I'm not qualified to comment on them.

Here is a good resource for headphones:

ttp://www.headphone.com/

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-applicat...ate-headphones/

Open concept cans that will not immediately overwhelm/fatigue your ear, nice padding and flexible design.

Needles to say they sound really good and reveal the detail staying "true" to the sound unlike say some DJ headphones that will color it.

Not sure about 702 model. It looks pretty much the same as 701 except for the color so I'm not sure what the difference is, if any.

I hear good things about Grado as well but don't own a pair so I'm not qualified to comment on them.

Here is a good resource for headphones:

ttp://www.headphone.com/

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-applicat...ate-headphones/

Got the AKG 701s and I'm very pleased with the :drama:

For me, AKG K240 MKII, nothing else. It has a hell of a pure sound for 117 euros.

The other AKG mentioned here are very close when it comes from the sound though. Then it's a matter of budget.

The Sennheiser's are more "bassy" ans squeeze more your head, so it's up to your tastes and comfort expectations

I rock some Grado SR80s for home, Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 Pro for when I need noise isolation, and Koss KSC75 for certain other situations.

Grados are just sick for attack and timbre and detail and give you just gorgeous acoustic sound reproduction...a little less soundstage than some would like until you get into their uber-expensive stuff.

The UEs are awesome for bus rides and when I want to jam to a guilty pleasure of mine :)

And the KSC75s are an amazing value. Many people I've seen on head-fi with crazy, exotic setups have a pair of these $15 headphones because they're just one of those little things you find in life that are quality and don't cost a fortune....they have like titanium diaphragms and other stuff not usually seen at this price point but are also just a good design.

For me, AKG K240 MKII, nothing else. It has a hell of a pure sound for 117 euros.

The other AKG mentioned here are very close when it comes from the sound though. Then it's a matter of budget.

The Sennheiser's are more "bassy" ans squeeze more your head, so it's up to your tastes and comfort expectations

Many thanks for all of your suggestions folks. I just need them for home listening and the cheap pair (too embarresed to reveal their make) I use occasionally sqeeze my ears, so comfort will play a big part along with sound quality, price doesn't matter.

There's a thread in the other subforum here.

I've got Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, but I'd rather go for DT880 (can't imagine more comfortable headphones than beyers, I can wear them for hours), Sennheiser HD600/650 or AKGs, never heard AT, so can't comment.

What you also need is a good audio-card and an amplifier. All of these HPs are high impedance and need more power to perform well and good DA converter to give you all these little details.

What you also need is a good audio-card and an amplifier. All of these HPs are high impedance and need more power to perform well and good DA converter to give you all these little details.

Kinda why i always recommend some AT phones for the small budget (300€ in the hifi world is considered small), as they don't need a powerful amp to be driven well.

Personally i'd still recommend the AD900. They're cheap, closed if thats important for you, comfy, known to be good for electronic music, and they don't need a very pricy amp to be driven correctly.

Idealy you would just have to listen to the phones that you are interested in before you can buy them, as we all have different ears and something sounding gorgeous to someone can sound awful to someone else.

If you're not much of Hifi head though (read: analyzing every single thing to see where are the tiny flaws), then i think you'd be happy with pretty much anything.

Man, I won't bother you with details, but at least put these on ONCE before buying anything else. Odds are you'll never remove 'em from your head again.

• 3 weeks later...

Imho, the most effective headphones for this kinda genre costwise is the sennheiser HD485. They're for 70-80 bucks or so and are quite underrated. It takes them quite a bit to burn in well (80 hours), but after the burn in period the mids and highs clear up and the bass settles and becomes tighter. These headphones really have high bass in them. The perfect headphones for ppl who like headphones with a bassy character. They are also 32 ohm and hence are more friendly to low end devices (ipods, pcs) than other high end headphones that require a headphone preamp to drive them well due to high impedence

Frequency Response Comparison Graph

I have the closed version of these, the K271 MkII. I'm VERY satisfied with them, and the price is affordable. Like Mars said, they are not very "bassy", but the sound is crystal clear, and the stereo perception is really good as well. The headphones comes with a changeable earpad, leather for a closed sound (good for recording voices, DJ'ing or whatever). And with Velours earpads for a more open and comfordable listen ( I use the velours myself, unless my girlfriend is vacuuming at the same time ;)

They are actually just around 150 euro's, HERE

Posted Image

My favourite headphone is Sennheiser HD 600 (I find the slightly more expensive HD 650 not worth the extra money). To make them sing properly I use a headphone amp: the Graham Slee Solo with external power supply is a match made in heaven. The headphone amp is more expensive than the headphones, but is worth the price.

For a cheap solution: Sennheiser EH 350 has an amazing classy sound for the price. You can get them as low as £38 - nothing at this price point can beat them in my experience.

Pedro