any GOOD modern Psytrance?!

Ake

hey,

i'm searching for good new Psytrance. No New School Goa like Suntrip Records, no Dark Psytrance, no teenie Full On. I don't listen to samples of all new releases, but now and then i do, and what i check is mostly too "happy", too aggressive, or too trancy.

Progressive Psytrance had a couple of good years from 2005-2008, but it seems it's getting worse these days. Normal Psytrance (or "Full On" like some people call it) seems to be too happy or too aggressive for my personal taste. Always the same boring, pushy rolling bassline. It's quite frustrating. I wonder why so many artists sound like this.

There are only 2 releases from 2008 that have a nice sound imo: Headroom - Artelligent and Burn In Noise - Passing Clouds. Unfortunately not all releases on these labels are equally good. Okay, several tracks on those 2 albums also have this rolling bassline, but it's more in the background and not so loud. Both albums are somehow funky, simple but not boring and most important: not overloaded with sounds.

Discussions and of course recommendations are very welcome! :)

I posted the same topic on Discogs Psy/Goa Trance Forum.

Tamlin - Spectrogram, Electrypnose - Funked Up and Zybex - Surreal Energy are a few really good psytrance releases from 2008. Although their style doesn't resemble much of Headrooms(except maybe zybex?) and Burn In Noises.

But then again, I don't know. I think just saying plain psytrance and then excluding the main styles of psytrance is hard to go suggesting anything from.

I found the Burn In Noise album to be average. It has a sort of "settle for less" attitude like a lot of full-on does.

these two might make your day thou?

manifold / mental suggestion

tryambaka / the colour of time

and perhaps this older release:

psydrop / fantasy seeds

manifold / shiva gluk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4mQlawXBxs

psydrop / fear and loathing

tryambaka / i saw your saw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXwusi9PATw

If u like good psychedelic progressive (which indeed is very scares theses days) you should try the new Zenon Records compilation VA - Permutations Vol. 2, it really has some good quality, deep, crunchy and psychedelic tracks on it!

Other than that the "obvious" candidate would be Braincell (especially his album Transformation Of Reality) for some high quality psytrance. Other compilations from Glowing Flame Records that are definitely worth checking out are The Well of Enchanted Sounds and VA - Imaginarity.

If u like good psychedelic progressive (which indeed is very scares theses days) you should try the new Zenon Records compilation VA - Permutations Vol. 2, it really has some good quality, deep, crunchy and psychedelic tracks on it!

Sure, Zenon Records is always on my list, just like Cosmic Conspiracy Records. I have everything from both labels. The music released by them can indeed be called Progressive Psytrance, while european progressive labels become more and more cheesy.

Anyway, thanks to everybody for the recommendations so far. :)

I retain one word you said "funky",

So i think about Haltya, have you ever heard them or any Finnish artist coz they have lots of funk influences in the Suomi school.

=> http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=7089

More recently in a close genre, forest trance there's the debut album of

Ozmali - Forest Fusion => http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=7948

Zenon rec, no doubt about that

you may also like:

Various - Primordial (Bio-Sine rec)

Anakoluth - Dwelling In The Void EP free download

Anakoluth - Beyond Reach EP free download (hail ektoplazm:))

Solar Spectrum - Planes Of Existence (Free Freak Music)

I didn't like Various - Primordial (Bio-Sine rec), it was like Zenon Records stuff but much more aggressive and loud. I just sold it yesterday. But dude, i just listened to samples of Solar Spectrum - Planes Of Existence (Free Freak Music). Sounds very promising, i will get this for sure. Judging from the samples there is no bad track, all tracks sound wonderful. Finally a light at the end of the tunnel! Thanks a lot for recommending it! I will check those free releases as well, and sooner or later all the other stuff you guys mentioned.

BoomBam ;)

did anybody say funky?! I really don't think anybody does better than "the Finish", a very good (and for free) albums is:

Lightaman Jr - Warm Up (Antiscarp)

a few years old but Pepe never goes wrong :D

ED2: especially Air Scooter is bloody nice og my funky god :oB)

ED: actually I never really checked out Cosmic Conspiracy Records since I have avoided most prog the last few years , but if they are anything like zenon I will check them out :D

Talpa - Art Of being Non

Talpa - When the Somberness Becomes a Game

Artifakt - Artifakts

Artifakt - Artifakts II

Artifakt - The Magus

Principles Of Flight - Chaos Opera

i consider these to be GOOD modern Psytrance -_-

Try Paul Taylor - High Life

At least, it's exactly what I would describe as "psytrance" (nightpsy maybe) (not goa, prog, full-on or darkpsy).

while browsing on Zenon Record's myspace site, i spotted the label 24/7 Media and checked samples of their newest releases on beatport. sounds quite interesting. didn't like everything but they seem to have some good artists and tracks.