• Psychedelic Techno
    • Minimal
    • Experimental
    • Breaks
    • Other
    • I only like Goa

No one else like SA psy the most?

Insejn, Trance2MoveU to the rescue!!! :D

I voted south african. This set totally converted me from a full on fan & showed me how killer SA music can be if mixed well. the thing is i enjoy this style more in sets and not so much as individual tracks. i love hearing the hard beats mixed into each other with the flanger and stuff; that really gets the adrenaline going for me - Since i love to dance like a lunatic this style is a total stomp feast. :D

Other than that i enjoy all styles except experimental and breaks. can't really dance to that.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:blink: I'm the only one (first) to vote Experimental? Isn't that what much of this scene is about, experimenting :D ?

I base my vote on releases like Yamabikaya - The Arrival and VA - Not My Cup of Tea

The Yamabikaya is fair enough Minimal experimental Psy-Trance.

What do you guys see as experimental PsyTrance?

Progressive.

I'm actually more of a proghead than a psyhead. Although it depends.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not going to argue that some people actually do dance to ambient and psychill... Especially if there's a dub involved. I'm also not going to support that argument that Shpongle (if I have to explain who he is, then it's even more pointless) puts out downtempo/ambient tracks like: Then the day turned into night - that are very dancefloor worthy.

I'm also not going to argue that in your original post, you clearly disqualified Ambient as a "non-trance" genre, which many can argue is a false statement. In fact, if you do your trance homework, you'll realize that ambient was indeed the precursor to trance music. Artists like Shulman, Hallucinogen, Infinity Project, and even Astral Projection are all artists who were in the part of the trance movement in its beginnings and put out ambient trance and created remixes of these tracks with stronger beats...

Here's a Wiki for a reference if you'd like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psybient

Then there's the world beat stuff that comes out on labels like Six Degrees Records who are responsible for putting out tracks from artists like Ekova and Banco de Gaia and now The Orb who are (or where) considered trance artists at one point in time.

You can argue all you want that ambient is not trance music, but you would be wrong.

All you have to do is Google "Psybient" or "Ambient Trance" and you'll be given several examples of how the ambient and trance are indeed one in the same.

:ph34r:

I'm not going to argue that some people actually do dance to ambient and psychill... Especially if there's a dub involved. I'm also not going to support that argument that Shpongle (if I have to explain who he is, then it's even more pointless) puts out downtempo/ambient tracks like: Then the day turned into night - that are very dancefloor worthy.

I'm also not going to argue that in your original post, you clearly disqualified Ambient as a "non-trance" genre, which many can argue is a false statement. In fact, if you do your trance homework, you'll realize that ambient was indeed the precursor to trance music. Artists like Shulman, Hallucinogen, Infinity Project, and even Astral Projection are all artists who were in the part of the trance movement in its beginnings and put out ambient trance and created remixes of these tracks with stronger beats...

Here's a Wiki for a reference if you'd like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psybient

Then there's the world beat stuff that comes out on labels like Six Degrees Records who are responsible for putting out tracks from artists like Ekova and Banco de Gaia and now The Orb who are (or where) considered trance artists at one point in time.

You can argue all you want that ambient is not trance music, but you would be wrong.

All you have to do is Google "Psybient" or "Ambient Trance" and you'll be given several examples of how the ambient and trance are indeed one in the same.

:ph34r:

I've never said that Ambient is a non-trance music.

But like I said before this poll is about dance music only.

And yes many ppl can dance while listening to downtempo or ambient, but that's mean they are dance music?

Anyway ther's always the other option.

I have a very, very, very hard time to vote. For me full-on and progressive are equal so what to do? I have to say that I just "really" discovered progressive after a good dose of LSD and I also have to say that I still don't get the old progressive stuff and psyminimal. Still, latelely I'm buying way more progressive CDs than full-on stuff so this is why prog gets my vote.

Full-on forgive me, I still loooooooooove you!!! :(:ph34r:

I have a very, very, very hard time to vote. For me full-on and progressive are equal so what after a good dose of LSD and I also have to say that I still don't get the old progressive stuff and psyminimal.

Out of curiousity, could you name some examples if it's in your memory? Do you mean stuff like Intact Instinct and Yamabikaya, or .. ? (maybe even releases from TATSU Recordings??)

On a hefty dose of lucid old psygressive and minimal psy should have revealed a lot of wow's to you, but of course, taste, vibe, feel and that will deternen that, i guess.

:)

I guess with a combined taste of Full-On and Progressive, your chai is the newer sounds like Ace Ventura and Iboga n'stuff? They combine those loves of yours, no? At least thats what I feel about Ace Ventura. Hey, have you heard this one -> Frost-RAVEN - Star Muse?

e. oh shaize, I just found another thread about this release. Could you moderate and fuse them Tatsu? http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?sh...;hl=frost-raven

thanks

Out of curiousity, could you name some examples if it's in your memory? Do you mean stuff like Intact Instinct and Yamabikaya, or .. ? (maybe even releases from TATSU Recordings??)

On a hefty dose of lucid old psygressive and minimal psy should have revealed a lot of wow's to you, but of course, taste, vibe, feel and that will deternen that, i guess.

:)

I guess with a combined taste of Full-On and Progressive, your chai is the newer sounds like Ace Ventura and Iboga n'stuff? They combine those loves of yours, no? At least thats what I feel about Ace Ventura. Hey, have you heard this one -> Frost-RAVEN - Star Muse?

e. oh shaize, I just found another thread about this release. Could you moderate and fuse them Tatsu? http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?sh...;hl=frost-raven

thanks

;) Yes indeed, the few Tatsu releases I've tried sounded utterly boring to me. I don't know how I would feel about them nowadays but I fear it wouldn't make much of a difference. To name some more stuff, old Iboga comps like Tryptamin and Ectoplasma are in the same category for me. The sound is way too much repetitive and (for me that means) not psychedelic. I never tried this music when I was tripping but so far it doesn't even seem worth it.

Yes, the new Iboga stuff (let's say from 2004 on and newer) is my thing, also stuff like Lish's second album, Tomtron & Liesegang, Day.Din, Audiomatic and similar stuff (btw. I'm always hot for new recommendations!!). There's also an album I totaly love that is labeled as Progressive House, Breaks, Deep House, Tech House at discogs: Audio Park (http://www.discogs.com/Various-Audio-Park/release/1425365). It's not psy but psychedelic enough for me. It does not have to be a fuse with full-on but in general I like stuff with some melodies or at least a twist. It does not have to be über-cheesy but if it's too repetitive or too minimal I just can't get into it.

Never heard about the album you posted will check (and merge) both threads. :)

Edit: I've checked the samples at Saiko. It's not what I look for when I talk about progressive (or full-on, it's neither for me) but it's definitely nice music!! Very varied and something between prog and psy and full-on, nice! Oh and about liquid and the older prog stuff, I will give it a try if I manage to obtaine some liquid. And then tell you how it was...

• 9 months later...

Pardon me for raising the...

But I have accidentally come across this thread once again.

Can anyone refer a list of artist that represent the following line:

"South African style (Twilight psy)".

In my book there's goa, darkpsy, psyprog, psytech, suomi, nitzhonot and full-on.

Full-on (as I perceive it) is not so versatile, so whether or not it's night or morning full-on, it's still "very much" within full-on bounds. Very intrinsic and interchangeable.

Timecode Records

Artifakt

Shift

Twisted System

Phyx

Principles Of Flight

Nexus Media (Label)

Slug

Abomination

Brethren

Pitch Hikers

Afrogalactic Records

Frozen Ghost

Yabai Records

Dirty Motion

MMD Records

Zion Linguist

Hiyarant

Vision Records

KodeSix

Timecode Records

Artifakt

Shift

Twisted System

Phyx

Principles Of Flight

Nexus Media (Label)

Slug

Abomination

Brethren

Pitch Hikers

Afrogalactic Records

Frozen Ghost

Yabai Records

Dirty Motion

MMD Records

Zion Linguist

Hiyarant

Vision Records

KodeSix

Is this an answer to my post?

• 2 weeks later...

And yes many ppl can dance while listening to downtempo or ambient, but that's mean they are dance music?

I think your statement answers itself. If people can (and do dance to it) then it could be considered dance music. You put breaks, minimal, and even techno in the categories. You even put experimental (which I registered as IDM or Leftfield). All of which are vastly different than psychedelic trance. Yet you leave out Dub, Ambient, and Downtempo. You intertwine the other genres in which there is very little relation to psytrance but leave out it's parent genres.

All I'm saying is that if this is a poll about "trance music" (aside from Goa - as stated), then you should be open for opinions of ALL STYLES of trance. Otherwise you have a poll specifically about psytrance and if this is the case, then the a fore mentioned styles (techno, minimal, breaks) should be left out.

As for South African/Twilight Psy (in which you gave a voting power for)... This is a sub-genre of full-on.

I don't wanna limit myself to any genre or subgenre in dance music or music in general. It's like eating the same thing every day...makes you fat and lazy.

I think good music can get you in a trance-like-state, it doesn't even have to be trance music!

So I'm not gonna vote but will check out some of the recommendations :)

TUFF BREAKS from labels like TCR, CUP OF CHI & FINGERLICKIN,PSY BREAKS from BROKEN ROBOT, ELECTRO from DOMINANCE RECS are my other poison. PEACE.

• 1 month later...

For me it's a toss-up between psychedelic techno and South African style. I love both a great deal, but if I had to have one on a desert island, it would be SA. It has the qualities similar to what I got into psytrance for in the first place (pace, aggression, melody, psy effects) and has more maneuverability. Forest/dark is third, as it tends to lack melodic qualities and focuses on structural rather than emotional qualities.