• South African style (Twilight psy)
    • Psychedelic Techno
    • Minimal
    • Experimental
    • Breaks
    • Other
    • I only like Goa

I think this will be fun.

If you have to choose one style of Psytrance which one will be?

There are two exceptions:

1. I didn't add Goa for obvious reasons. Since most psynewers are Goa-heads I decided to leave it outside the poll.

2. I didn't add any Ambient/Chill/Downtempo since this poll is for trance only.

Let's vote!

ps. I vote for South African style (or Twilight psy as many of the artists call it), since is by far my favorite psy genre together with Goa.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe you forgot Forest (Psy) Trance.

Imo, it is a style differentiated from darkpsy and suomi.

For me forest belongs in darkpsy.

You can vote for other if you disagree though.

From that list i'm afraid i don't like anything, except goa.

There is that odd darkpsy track i can like, but it's probably because it sounds goa-ish lol.

So yeah.. within psytrance, 99% of the music i like is goa.

Just for the record.

The 'I only like Goa' option is for those who really like ONLY Goa and nothing else.

Cause I'm afraid ppl are gonna vote for it, because they like Goa the most.

Goa is off the table for this poll. :)

Well, I call forest psytrance darkpsy. It's the "good darkpsy" if you ask me.

And yeah, I chose darkpsy. Most artists in this genre are quite untalented but the best stuff makes up for it.

Of course goa is #1 thou. :)

2. I didn't add any Ambient/Chill/Downtempo since this poll is for trance only.[/b]

Oops, I didn't see that before I voted "Other" because I wanted to choose that. I don't only like goa, but it's definitely far over the others. I guess progressive.

What would some examples of "psychedelic techno" be?

I cannot choose... I like a bit of everything except for full-on pop.

Same here.

The thing is... authentic psychedelic trance is in many aspects a flawless genre regardless of the branch you pick for consideration (however I don't actually consider the modern full-on vein to actually be belonging to psytrance movement).

Psytech, psychill, darkpsy and psyprog all have great highlights that find their place then and now.

Still, voted for psytech.

P.S. I would also bring in a "nightpsy/classic psytrance" option in the opposition to darkpsy, since far from all darkish psytrance artists can actually be categorized as that. Examples are: Paul Taylor - High Life, artists like Penta, Hux Flux, Cybernetika, that produce more or less moderate psytrance without specific inclination towards either darkpsy or full-on and hence cannot be explicitly referred to any.

Not to split hairs here, but how is Ambient or Psychill NOT trance music?

I mean in a general category, you can put dub or psybreaks in there, but I'm talking pure ethereal type stuff. The kind of stuff that seriously puts your head in a mind spinning trance (especially if your sorted right). Artists like Sync24, Astralasia, Celtic Cross (a Simon Posford Project mind you), Aes Dana, Shulman, and H.U.V.A Network all create very ambient and very downtempo trance.

I voted other.

I mean in a general category, you can put dub or psybreaks in there, but I'm talking pure ethereal type stuff. The kind of stuff that seriously puts your head in a mind spinning trance (especially if your sorted right). Artists like Sync24, Astralasia, Celtic Cross (a Simon Posford Project mind you), Aes Dana, Shulman, and H.U.V.A Network all create very ambient and very downtempo trance.

I voted other.

You are confusing genre "trance" and "trance" as a state of mind, feeling, etc. Ambient and Trance are two different genres.

You are confusing genre "trance" and "trance" as a state of mind, feeling, etc. Ambient and Trance are two different genres.

If you wanted to get picky about it, you could say that Breaks and Trance are two different genres. More different than Psychill and Trance are.

It was harder than i thought. I chose OTHER - because i like all of them equally and i think it would be easier to put this poll in a way "Your not so favourite style" (and i would say it's DARK - the only kind i am very picky about).

edit: always thought polls with many points should have multiple choices, no? :unsure:

And I believe you're confusing the purpose of "trance" music and how the offshoot of techno got its name.

I beg to differ, Ambient and Trance are one in the same.

Take a listen to some of the artists listed, or better yet listen to my mixes below. All trance and all below 120 BPM.

If you wanted to get picky about it, you could say that Breaks and Trance are two different genres. More different than Psychill and Trance are.

I agree.

Twisted D*U*O & Veracohr,

I'm going to repeat it once again: «Trance» and «Ambient» are two different genres.

The fact these genres may have intersections doesn't scratch general stylistic difference between the two.

Times of techno as a "forefather of all electronic music genres" passed long time ago; it was the epoch of musical syncretism which has been passed ever since.

As for the likes of H.U.V.A. Network and others mentioned above; they do have certain common bit with what's called trance today, however the vein of this music remains notwithstanding way too far from the vein of trance music. Those who find formal definitions useless, are free to call trance (or any other word) everything from 90 to 180 beats per minute. For the rest, however, there's certain albeit more or less subjective scale exists, which allows one to "conditionally" differentiate different music by different categories, which, when you know the subject good enough, gives you lots of benefits (such as having commercial euro trance tracks and twisted psychedelic ones in different rooms, to give an elementary example). You are free to not accept this formal scales, however this is where it ends.

The poll is quite obvious and it's not quite clear why it's so disturbing for some of you to deal with it.

Oops, I didn't see that before I voted "Other" because I wanted to choose that. I don't only like goa, but it's definitely far over the others. I guess progressive.

What would some examples of "psychedelic techno" be?

i voted "psychedelic techno" with stuff like Midi Miliz, Opsis, X-dream & Cujorius One in mind. the oldskool "progressive" sound i guess.

Trance wise, I am mostly about goa. If it wasn't for that, I would most probably never have bothered with the trance genre anyways.

Luckily, I listen to heaps of other music, so nobody can call me an unshaved, dirty shaman, kin to Shiva's sister in law...

I voted other.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I meant this is a poll for DANCE music this is why I didn't add any ambient option.

Breaks and Techno may not be trance, but they still are dance genres.

My bad.