4.Heat (7:01)

5.Ropeburn (7:15)

6.New Eden (7:52)

7.Pirandello Kruger (7:08)

8.Boat (7:30)

9.Kate (7:13)

10.Shard (7:16)

11.Lisa Miskovsky - Still Alive (4:34)

12.Lisa Miskovsky - Still Alive (Instrumental) (4:29)

Is there a possibility to get enough Solar Fields? The answer is no. Deep down in all of us lives a little Solar Fields junkie just craving for the next fix. It wasn't long ago that this craving got it's satisfaction, namely when Movements was released. A tremendously great album praised among the community, and one would think that the wait for the next Solar Fields installment would be long. But no.

What we get is not a typical Solar Fields album. This is in fact the game score for the critically acclaimed multiplatform game Mirror's Edge. A great game that any psyloving gamer should have played through at least once. It's a game developed by Swedish based game studio DICE. The game tries new ideas, taking the platform genre to first person perspective, but that's not only what's innovative, but also the whole artistic sense of the game. The game is placed in a futuristic city, where individual freedom has come to a minimum. You play as a runner, mainly delivering important illegal packages throughout the city by jumping and climbing over rooftops. The look of the game is very clean, with bright white, strong orange, blue, yellow and green makes it feel almost as a city placed in heaven. It surely is not. And who would be more perfect setting the ambiance in such a place than Magnus Birgersson?

As said this is not you're normal music album. Magnus had to create ambient music that would fit into either designed areas of the game or dynamic to the situation assessed in the game. Comfortable music when wandering around a shiny white rooftop a sunny afternoon, and darker stressing music when being chased by the police for example. To me Solar Fields has always had that futuristic, clean, heavenly kind of sound which would be a perfect match to Mirror's Edge, and it obviously is. Having that said, the album doesen't have any real direction or storytelling, since the story was being told by the gamer playing the game in symbiosis with the music. But Magnus has managed to put the tracks together well to form a rather cohesive journey, and most tracks are great on their own.

One the most Solar Fieldish track is to me Introduction, which is actually the music for the main title screen. It's a great track with perfect production skills, use of uplifting sounds to really create a feel of being in a pristine bright environment, just as the game setting. There's a little bit of Movements here, and surely has to do with the game score and the album being produced somewhat alongside each other. But overall the game score is much more uptempo and frantic. Since the game focusing on platforming action and chases rather than relaxed sightseeing around the city, there is almost no track without any uptempo parts in it. Somewhat it feels as a reincarnation of Reflective Frequencies and Blue Moon Station. Those of you who liked these albums will surely appreciate this more than the Leaving Home and Extended fanatics. Jacknife is also a favorite track, with some amazing sensations towards the end. It's amazing how much detail is put into the tracks, just as on Movements. It's funny, since when playing the game you could never be fully concentrated on the music and many who played it, might just have taken the music on a subconscious level. Magnus obviously takes his work seriously, wanting to make the best out of what he is currently doing, love for the art. Shard is one of those tracks that just feels to me pure Solar Fields, pure bliss. One can only wonder how it feels to be Magnus Birgersson.

The last track still alive is a more pop oriented track, with singer Lisa Miskovsky. Kindly enough we get the instrumental version for those not keen on hearing singing.

Recommendation:

Magnus said that this was the biggest challenge he's done so far, and it's understandable when having to create music for a certain set of visual impressions and story, not having the freedom to just let the music go in the direction it pleases. The outcome is great, and this will please both more uptempo lovers as downtempo. Sure there is the lack of storytelling and there is a kind of repetitiveness in the overall sound, but all these things are minor issues. Even so, there are a few gems that solely makes the album worth for purchase. As of now it's only available on mp3 but might come out in flac/wav format, which should please everyone with a decent stereo/headphone set.

If you are in big need for you're Solar Fields fix you know what to do!

This is the unedited review originally posted at Isratrance

The score was produced by Solar Fields??! This is some of the most beautiful, optimistic, and positive sounding music I have ever heard. It follows up some of his work around Movements really well.

Soundtrack clips via trailers for Mirror's Edge. In short, I love what I've heard so far. Solar Field's is so talented!

(I adore the music in this first trailer, especially towards the end. I want this song.)

Samples / Orders

Amazon (full album via Amazon MP3)

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1244755575/ref...rack&page=1

Amazon.co.uk (full album)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_?u...amp;x=0&y=0
]

did you make a new thread!? i thought i wrote something in here lol!

anyways, this surpassed my expectations as an album. being soundtrack to a videogame i wasn't expecting something so good for home listening.

SOLAR FIELDS DOESN'T DISAPPOINT :clapping:

its unmistakably Solar Fields and it almost works as an album in its own right which is quite an achievement for a video game score. i agree with the op that the introduction is the closest thing to a "true" SF track. each track is a mixed bag of ambient atmospheres interspersed with frantic fast sections which i found a bit disconcerting and what i'd really like to hear is a re-edit which separates the two. the final title track is a pop tune really but as pop tunes go i've heard worse i guess.

overall i'd say worth the money i paid so its a :clapping: from me.

I remember watching the first trailer released for Mirrors Edge back in may 2008 and being completely astounded by the theme. Time flew by and finally some artists were mentioned, and there it was, Solar Fields. I knew there was someone special working on the score!

Been played the game and listening to the Soundtrack, needless to say, it's magnificent. Solar Fields was the perfect choice for this game and I do hope he will be a part of other future projects in games and movies alike. It'd be interesting to say the least. :)

Truly impressive, a master work!

Ambient, idm with sci-fi breakcore/hard trancey touch. Everything is there.

Favourites for me: Ropeburn, Shard, Heat.

Basically every track is one amazing story, with no exception.

Incredible work, Magnus!

• 3 weeks later...

I found illegal lossless so it must be available somewhere. The question is where?

I con convert my MP3 files into WAV as well and then give them to you, if it would make things easier. :rolleyes:

Plus you wouldn't have to claim they're illegal either. You could be like: "My main man rino has the real deal. Hit him on his pager, he'll send ya over the goods in a heart beat, without breaking a sweat!"

• 3 weeks later...

What individual pieces you meen ?

Do you have the bootleg Ost or the real one ?

The real one is basicly put together like you play each level.

Hmmh, after finally finishing the game I can safely say the soundtrack doesn't almost do justice to how it works in-game. It's just works so well there, much better than just individual pieces.

What individual pieces you meen ?

Do you have the bootleg Ost or the real one ?

The real one is basicly put together like you play each level.

http://www.amazon.com/Mirrors-Edge-Origina...2817&sr=8-6

That one.

IMO it just works much better in-game, but that's obvious because it was made for it. The transitions feel more natural and the music lives together with the visuals. It's a different experience than just listening the soundtrack.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Both the Introduction and Still Alive track (the latter by) by Lisa Miskovsky are beautiful. What a talented artist (Solar Fields) and voice talent (Lisa). Thank you both for creating such wonderful, free-spirited music.

• 7 months later...

Finally got the game for the PS3. I love the First Person feel and soundtrack. The story, plot, cutscenes, and combat leave room for improvement (some trial and error approaches may turn a few gamers off). The game could be lengthier too; at roughly 6-7 hours it's kind of short. The sense of speed, fluidity, and gameplay movement in the First-Person View (seeing actual realistic camera physics, movement) is exciting, a rush at times, at other times disorienting; I feel a bit nauseous.

Sometimes I put the game on just to hear the wonderful, "introduction" theme song in the opening. Learning curve: Medium. At around $10 dollars, worth checking out for fans of Pakour and an innovative approach to FPS.
Check out the song and trailer for Mirror's Edge below.

The developers need to improve the sequel to Mirror's Edge, as Assassin Creed 2 was a dramatic improvement over the first, offering more of a story, plot, and substance that Mirror's Edge lacks. The developers can even show how society became the way it did by showing how a special interest group's vision (one world domination or at least in a country) came to fruition, from unprecedented merges/corporate takeovers after a potentially-influenced, financial collapse. And how anyone is a terrorist according to the context of the system; runners (in the game for instance) are considered terrorists. I think this could make a great film too with the right cast, crew, and more importantly director! The guy who did District B-13 showcasing all of that parkour has potential!

What I see doing with the game's story/plot would not only compliment, but blow the first's out of the water. That said, I'm open to the idea of collaborating with Dice/EA via script, story/plot, and/or backstory (or at least to explaining to some degree) if Magnus forwards this and/or someone associated with the company reads this in time. The vision I have would rival the bleak (roughly 7/10 score) that Mirrors's Edge game averaged (roughly) on Ign, Gamespot, and most important (vast general consensus site) Gamerankings. But I don't know who to speak with. And if the sequel's too far in progress to alter plot/story dramatically, as such changes can be costly depending on the game's status of tentative production, this could be exercised as an option in the third. Furthermore, I have a groundbreaking vision that would make one of the most jaw dropping, best selling, next-gen games, if produced. After seeing the movement and sleek graphics in Mirror's Edge, I believe that EA has potential to produce/back it, or Konami (after seeing Metal Gear Solid 4), or Rockstar (after seeing GTA 4). There's just so much talent out there. But I do have clear vision for a game (story/plot, gameplay, graphics, main character) that raises the bar pretty high. It will take passion though, not greed, to capture this infectiously riveting experience, and I'm very passionate with my work, as I can see Magnus who composed the soundtrack here is.

Naturally, have Magnus (Solar Fields) compose yet another wonderful soundtrack for the sequel. I know people who bought this game just because they fell in love with the music from the trailer. It's excellent. I hope there are more beautiful tracks like "introduction" and "Still Alive" on the sequel's soundtrack.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Still after all these years... one of my favourite chill out tracks of all time... just beautiful!