The metal thread

Darkarbiter

• 11 months later...

OMG, I didn't know about this topic until now. Well I've been listening to metal music for a long time, and two or three years ago I founded NBOM - New Breed Of Metal blog (now it's website, can be found here - http://newbreedofmetal.com/) and did a bunch of reviews for it. Speaking of metal subgenres well I'm a big fan of more darker/brutal types so technical death metal, grindcore, blackened death metal, deathcore are probably my favorites but I also love good thrash metal, metalcore, groove, experimental/progressive/mathcore bands. I DON'T like power/heavy/folk/gothic stuff :)

However I also started a grindcore project called TRULA VITRINA but friend and I never finished our first demo. Probably i should speak with him about it and maybe record vocals. Check it out here lol: http://www.myspace.com/trulavitrina

So here is my list of favorite bands:

All Shall Perish - deathcore

Between The Buried And Me - progressive/metalcore

Whitechapel - deathcore

Nile - technical death metal

The Black Dahlia Murder - modern melodic death metal

As I Lay Dying - metalcore

Soulfly/Cavalera Conspiracy - thrash metal/groove

Metallica - thrash metal

Pantera - groove/thrash metal

Behemoth - black/death metal

Dimmu Borgir - symphonic/black metal

Woe Of Tyrants - modern melodic death metal

Destroy Destroy Destroy - melodic death metal

Chimaira - groove metal/metalcore

Disfiguring The Godess - brutal death metal

Austrian Death Machine - thrashcore/metalcore

Job For A Cowboy - death metal

Threat Signal - groove/metalcore

Slipknot - nu metal/groove

Genghis Tron - experimental/progressive

Opeth - death metal/progressive

From A Second Stroy Window - metalcore/progressive

Prostitute Disfigurement - brutal death metal

Testament - thrash metal

Protest The Hero - progressive math/metalcore

Abigail Williams - black metal/metalcore

Unearth - metalcore

Trigger The Bloodshed - deathcore/death metal

Therion - symphonic metal

Despised Icon - deathcore

Abominale Putridity - grindcore/brutal death metal

The Ocean - progressive metal

War From A Harlots Mouth - progressive mathcore

The Acacia Strain - deathcore/mathcore

The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza - mathcore

Ion Dissonance - mathcore/deathcore

The Number Twelve Looks Like You - experimental/mathcore

Five Star Prison Cell - mathcore

Suicide Silence - deathcore

and many more, thoose are bands that i can think of at the moment :)

Allright!! A metal thread. I like a lot of (crossover) "metal" bands/albums:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some of my favourits mostly from the late 80's and early/mid 90's: The best metal period imo with a few exceptions.

Protest The Hero

A Canadian band, finest Mathcore ever, very progressive'ish as well, and their attitude and appearance is far away from all the Metal stereotypes. They're releasing their third album this month, entitled "Scurrillous". Its predecessors are entitled "Kezia" and "Fortress" respectively. Check them out. They're all good.

Protest The Hero

A Canadian band, finest Mathcore ever, very progressive'ish as well, and their attitude and appearance is far away from all the Metal stereotypes. They're releasing their third album this month, entitled "Scurrillous". Its predecessors are entitled "Kezia" and "Fortress" respectively. Check them out. They're all good.

+1 Can't wait for a new album. They got really nice music videos aswell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C70gaKd72XY

Depleting the need of thieves to care

They rise on Degradations wings

I've seen, we've all seen

We have seen the coming price for our

Self-righteous greed

A cry from earth for changes

A silent plea

Deciphered in a manner

Lost in failure

We've left in-numerous numbers

Failing into tears

They've lost their lives

We're on a killing spree

Killing spree

The blood of tortured souls stains us

The blood of tortured souls stain me

I can't bear it

We must see where this life's leading

Kill these deadly habits

We must see where this lies leading

Then we'll listen, then we'll listen to a cry from earth for changes

A silent plea

Deciphered in a manner

Lost in failure

We've whored this world for riches

And we soon shall see

We've lost our lives

What good is all their money when

There's nothing left to buy?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well besides Meshuggah, I can count myself being a massive fan of Fear Factory too. Even though there isn't, I see a giant resemblance between these two bands, they both seem to create a certain vibe that not many bands carry around these days. Meshuggah is more complex though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLzBo-RoZVY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr7NOPk7eaI

Dont you think that metal has gone as far as it can go without it going backwards again? I have been listening to Metal since the early 70's ....and every decade its got harder faster louder less lyrical and almost minimal...yet, i can never ever give it up.... I keep trying to listen to newer stuff, but the oldies keep on coming back...look at Fear Factory, how long have they been going now? and i still love em. The Sepultura spin offs, the metallica spinoffs ...it all sounds like its all been done before....the pattern keeps on working.....

Slayer are still as popular as they ever were....now where's the new sound? give me a clue?

This seems to be the only genre that never ever loses listeners...it keep on growing...every generation there are metalheads born...it fills me full of fluffy:))

Metal is one of the most estabilished alternative music genres in the entire world, it beats dnb, psytrance, dubstep, gabba and yes even techno in terms of popularity and scene size, so yeah it's normal that it stays alive after all these many years of discographical chaos and destruction.

• 4 weeks later...

Ah...my past, my present, my future. From metal I was born, to metal I shall vanish :D

Seriously, before I discovered Goa/Psy around 1997 or so, I listened to Metal and its various subgenres, and I still do.

I could list countless bands from all kinds of genres, but since the OP talked about ambient metal, some of my all-time favorites came to my mind.

Old "My Dying Bride" for example, especially the stellar - and still unmatched - "Turn Loose The Swans" album. It's still brilliant after all those years. But, just dropping names of dozens of bands is not very effective imo. As far as an ambient sound in Black Metal is concerned, I'll give two recommendations.

The first one is a rather old band, who only released one album and then vanished afterwards. They announced a re-union some years ago, but never released new material afterwards iirc. Still, releasing just one masterpiece album at age 18 and then just disbanding is somehow impressive.

Vinterland - Welcome My Last Chapter

Playlist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeZkEjL6NvE&feature=BFa&list=PL29BCA94ADA87426E&index=16

Be sure to check it out. It's one of the best Melodic Black Metal albums ever, period.

The other act is a newer one, performing "Post Black Metal". "Post Rock", "Post Metal", so I guess there has to be "Post Black Metal" as well. Whatever you want to call it, it's just awesome. Someone mentioned "Wolves In The Throne Room". Here you go:

Altar Of Plagues - Earth: As A Womb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qxB3tZscZM

Pretty relaxing and trancy imo.

I see a lot of very good names here, except one: DREAM THEATER!

Is there nobody a fan? :)

I saw them 3 weeks ago and it was an amazing show. first channel zero, dream theater and in the end soulfy.

Damn what a night. :)