The metal thread

Darkarbiter

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, metal. I was majorly into it from 2000 - 2007 until I got cursed with the psytrance bug. I still listen to a lot of it, though not a hell of a lot of newer stuff, I have to admit.

I like most styles of metal, though my favourite is no doubt depressive black metal. Anybody a fan? I haven't seen any bands mentioned in this thread, so here is a list of my favourite stuff:

Alcest

Amesoeurs

Apati

Beatrik

Forgotten Tomb
Lyrinx (my own band - I perform vocals... ;) )

Mortifera

Lifelover

Nachtmystium

Silencer

I included Alcest as I think they are still relevant to the depressive black metal genre, even though their sound is radically different and is more of a shoegaze/metal crossover. Alcest are no doubt my favourite metal band.

Oh and I'm surprised to see that Saturnus haven't been mentioned by any of the doom metal lovers. Brilliant band. This is my favourite Saturnus song:

I used to be friends with Niklas from Shining/Selbstmord Services. That's as far as I ever got into the "depressive" scene. I was personally more into the NED bands like Watain, Deathspell Omega, Katharsis and so on. Even distributed the early Watain tapes among other things.

I used to be friends with Niklas from Shining/Selbstmord Services. That's as far as I ever got into the "depressive" scene. I was personally more into the NED bands like Watain, Deathspell Omega, Katharsis and so on. Even distributed the early Watain tapes among other things.

Niklas seems like a very strange dude, haha. Cannot tell whether he is being hyperbolic when reading interviews with him.

I never really got into that orthodox black metal sound, though I do like some older Deathspell Omega. I like pretty much every other style of black metal, though, from the traditional stuff to black thrash (mmm, black thrash). I think the French LLN stuff is fucking dull, though.

Nice to 'meet' somebody else on a psytrance forum who has been active within the black metal scene, though.

While we're on the subject of black metal and psytrance, Fenriz said in an interview once that Nocturno Culto is a fan of black metal. Also, are you aware of Kaiaphas? He was once in Grand Belial's Key (politics aside, another band I really dig) and Ancient and is now behind the dark progressive act Minimal Criminal. :)

It's funny how GBK never actually made any statements regarding their political views. Their so-called "racism" is and has always been the mind-product of left-wing paranoia. I talk to Cazz (The Black Lourde...) on the regular and he's the absolute last person I'd refer to as a racist. That guy holds a great love for all women on planet earth :D

I dunno, man. The band shirt I got given by Matt has the word 'Kike' written on it (and I haven't ever worn it for this very reason, though I doubt I will ever sell it), not to mention all the sieg heiling that was going on at the gig (as well as the band and crowd singing little racist skits in between songs) and Richie being openly racist to black people on the streets of London. I'd definitely call them a racist band. Or at least they were a racist band - I can't exactly comment on them nowadays. Having said that, Matt was a very nice guy, evidently. :)

Do you know how Richie actually died? I heard he was mugged and killed, though there's nothing written on the internet about it.

From an interview with Gelal/Pogrom:

"In fact, the best thing for this country would be for a certain non-white Democratic candidate to win the presidency (and yes, to point out the obvious, he is a very impressive, accomplished man, not the 'simian abomination' referenced above; people should be more discerning when interpreting blanket statements; a country full of men like him would be a far worthier country than one crammed full of corpulent white trash rednecks)."

All I see is a man with the balls to say that some humans are of greater worth than others, and an admittedly non-pc and often brash humor. Nothing else.

Brilliant pics!

Aye, I caught GBK before Richie died too, in London. This was in 2006. The original venue cancelled the gig on the night after hearing of their political leanings, so somebody on a UK black metal forum posted private messages to everybody who planned to attend, informing us all of the venue change. Only about 20 - 30 people turned up, but it was rather special. There were indeed some dubious goings-on (I don't think I have to explicitly say what exactly, as the same shit no doubt happened at the gig in Copenhagen), to which I naively partook in, but I was an impressionable idiot full of anger and resentment at the time.

Anyway, before they started playing, I got chatting to their drummer at the time (Matt 'The Gulag') and he took a liking to me and ended up giving me a t-shirt for free, which was nice. We hung out for the rest of the what was eventful night. I spoke to Matt via email a week after the gig and he sent me a promo copy of the now released split with Absurd and Sigrblot. I should try and find it at some point and give it a listen.

Was quite a surreal night!

Quoting this post because I deleted it by mistake like a big idiot. Sorry.

Do you know how Richie actually died? I heard he was mugged and killed, though there's nothing written on the internet about it.

It's been his family's wish to keep the reason of his death a secret. I'm not in a position to talk about it. Sorry...

Oh god there is growling, and screaming and detuned guitars and just aghghkdsjfkljdsfl *runs away crying*

My gf likes this stuff strangely enough. I however can't really get into it! I like that people are quite passionate about it though and when she is talking about various sub genres within it and how they all slightly differ and why I see a kind of comparison to trance. :)