The metal thread

Darkarbiter

• 10 months later...
On 2/15/2022 at 6:40 PM, Paul Eye said:

Yep. It's up there with my favourite albums of all time :)

Interesting to note is that Aleah did have a bit of a psy scene / downtempo connection, doing vocals for artists like Xerxes and Omnimotion. And curiously enough she collaborated with Simon Posford and George Barker in 1999:

Small world! I'd been meaning to write a post here in memory of Aleah "Jewel" Stanbridge so I really loved to find out that some other psy fans were equally enchanted by her beautiful vocals and also discovered, and enjoyed, Hour of the Nightingale.

It doesn't surprise me that the album appeals to other fans of psytrance. It's incredible and really gets under my skin, which is all the more impressive given I don't generally count myself as a rock fan. Especially the title track which I never want to end.

I absolutely adore Aleah's mystical vocals on Binah - Crescent Suns as well, one of the very best vocalists in all of psy.

On 1/31/2023 at 12:27 AM, acid being said:

Small world! I'd been meaning to write a post here in memory of Aleah "Jewel" Stanbridge so I really loved to find out that some other psy fans were equally enchanted by her beautiful vocals and also discovered, and enjoyed, Hour of the Nightingale.

It doesn't surprise me that the album appeals to other fans of psytrance. It's incredible and really gets under my skin, which is all the more impressive given I don't generally count myself as a rock fan. Especially the title track which I never want to end.

I absolutely adore Aleah's mystical vocals on Binah - Crescent Suns as well, one of the very best vocalists in all of psy.

Yeah, Aleah had a voice like no other and it still pains me that nobody will ever see ToE live. I've actually been trying to hunt down some other metal in the goth/doom flavour with (even remotely) similar atmospheres and female vocals, but not much has come up. Suggestions welcome :)

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2023 at 12:56 PM, Paul Eye said:

Yeah, Aleah had a voice like no other and it still pains me that nobody will ever see ToE live. I've actually been trying to hunt down some other metal in the goth/doom flavour with (even remotely) similar atmospheres and female vocals, but not much has come up. Suggestions welcome :)

It's awesome to find someone to talk to about this, thanks man. :) I've been looking too but it's harder for me because I only really like the more ambient kinds of metal and it's a genre I've hardly bothered to explore at all (Anette Olzon is the only suggestion I found so far but I haven't had time to listen to any of her stuff at all yet).

No idea if you'll feel the same or if anyone else here agrees, but my other favorite female vocalist is Toni Halliday. I don't know if it counts as metal really, but check out the album: Curve - Gift. Her vocals on Hung Up are amazing. It sounds dark and really trippy. It sounds like layers of 303s, but it could be some really ingenious guitar effects. The track has a lot in common with Leftfield - Original which she also sang beautifully on.

The only other music I've found so far with similar feelings to the above gets classed as trip hop. A couple of tracks on Crustation - Bloom aren't too bad.

Definitely let me know if you find anything yourself though.

On 2/7/2023 at 2:55 PM, acid being said:

It's awesome to find someone to talk to about this, thanks man. :) I've been looking too but it's harder for me because I only really like the more ambient kinds of metal and it's a genre I've hardly bothered to explore at all (Anette Olzon is the only suggestion I found so far but I haven't had time to listen to any of her stuff at all yet).

No idea if you'll feel the same or if anyone else here agrees, but my other favorite female vocalist is Toni Halliday. I don't know if it counts as metal really, but check out the album: Curve - Gift. Her vocals on Hung Up are amazing. It sounds dark and really trippy. It sounds like layers of 303s, but it could be some really ingenious guitar effects. The track has a lot in common with Leftfield - Original which she also sang beautifully on.

The only other music I've found so far with similar feelings to the above gets classed as trip hop. A couple of tracks on Crustation - Bloom aren't too bad.

Check out Anathema - especially the later albums are gothic doom with ethereal female vocals and some electronics. 

But my highest suggestions are fantasy/symphonic/ethereal black metal with darkwave aspects:

Midnight Odyssey 

The Ruins of Beverast "Exuvia" (very trancey) & " The Thule Grimoires"

Summoning (Tolkien influenced)

Emyn Muil (Also Tolkien fantasy influenced)

And then of course there's dungeon synth:

Old Sorcery

Druadan Forest etc

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2023 at 1:55 PM, acid being said:

Your descriptions and suggestions made me think of this ... you could maybe like it:

... not metal, but will appeal to metalheads...

Let me know what you think of it ^_^

On 2/9/2023 at 3:34 PM, DoktorG said:

Check out Anathema - especially the later albums are gothic doom with ethereal female vocals and some electronics. 

But my highest suggestions are fantasy/symphonic/ethereal black metal with darkwave aspects:

Midnight Odyssey 

The Ruins of Beverast "Exuvia" (very trancey) & " The Thule Grimoires"

Summoning (Tolkien influenced)

Emyn Muil (Also Tolkien fantasy influenced)

And then of course there's dungeon synth:

Old Sorcery

Druadan Forest etc

Dargaard will be for you if you are after the calmer side. Great project, female singer in it. Here is an album:

But actually I have thought about this more. And I can come up with more.

And as much as I would like to "flesh out" suggestions that go into the Tolkien influenced metal direction (Summoning, big love of mine) ... the statement about "Trip Hop" doesn't let go of me. 

In the end, it really depends on what one is after. Maybe that Dargaard recommendation was all wrong for you?
@acid beingwhat are you after? The female voice? The music? The atmosphere?

When it's the female voice, purely, you will indeed find more in the TripHop area. Hooverphonic maybe. Bunny Situation. That's for me all 10 years old though ... my TripHop period is long over :D 

When you are after the music, you probably will struck gold in the Gothic realm. There are some with female voices. I don't know much Gothic (rather like the EBM), but maybe you like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QDRJlM11XA

Or maybe check out Ladytron. That's a quite good band!

Night Club aswell ... "Dear Enemy" ... awesome :wub: ... I think that might be the one you even like most...

Should also mention Fever Ray

For "metal / rock with female voice that sounds interesting" I can suggest you Closterkeller. Most of the songs are in polish language though. 

For some other wildcards, I could recommend you Eivør, stunning singer from Färöer islands ... or Aigel ( АИГЕЛ ) which is probably classified as HipHop, rather spoken than sung, but with a very skillful voice -- this I find pretty stunning, I hope you agree: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiZMGztIRKs

Sorry if that was too much

• Thanks 1

If there's one singer who comes quite close to Aleah, it'd be Heike Langhans. The peculiar thing about both of them is that they're both originally from South Africa, and moved to Sweden to do some metal o.O
Both also have this ethereal/gothic aesthetic about them.

That being said, here's the latest project with Heike's vocals:

Do check the other videos from the Ghost Bird Studios channel.

I actually found out about Heike Langhans in this post about the (then) new ISON album in this very thread:
https://www.psynews.org/forums/topic/56025-the-metal-thread/?do=findComment&comment=10022045

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2023 at 2:52 PM, Paul Eye said:

That being said, here's the latest project with Heike's vocals:

Sorry guys I've been really busy! Yes, I agree she sounds surprisingly similar to Aleah, and she has a lovely voice.

On 2/5/2023 at 12:56 PM, Paul Eye said:

I've actually been trying to hunt down some other metal in the goth/doom flavour with (even remotely) similar atmospheres and female vocals, but not much has come up. Suggestions welcome :)

OK, none of these sound like Aleah, but I did some searches for doom metal with female vocals and these are the ones that stood out:

Avrigus - The Secret Kingdom: Sort of ambient / electronic doom metal. I liked it although it sounds a bit like video game music at times. Her vocals are more sort of choral / classical. It has a medieval feel.

Promethean Misery: Worth a listen though it didn't appeal to me as much. Quite heavy on the piano from what I can remember.

Avatarium - The Girl With The Raven Mask: Not normally my type of thing but I found it strangely catchy. The music and her style of singing (Nothing like Aleah!) has a sort of 70s psychedelic rock flavor.

On 2/9/2023 at 2:34 PM, DoktorG said:

I like it, very high quality, but they've made so much music it will take some time to find the bits I like best. Alone was a good track. I couldn't find a whole album with female vocals.

On 2/9/2023 at 2:34 PM, DoktorG said:

Midnight Odyssey

OK some of his stuff sounds excellent. I was loving Echoes of the Thalassic Deep. More space ambient than metal.

On 2/12/2023 at 10:05 PM, RTP said:

Your descriptions and suggestions made me think of this ... you could maybe like it:

[Shireen - UMAI]

... not metal, but will appeal to metalheads...

Let me know what you think of it ^_^

I enjoyed listening to it. They're talented but to me it sounds more folky (don't know if that's the right word) than the stuff I would normally like.

On 2/12/2023 at 11:24 PM, RTP said:

Dargaard will be for you if you are after the calmer side. Great project, female singer in it.

I like it OK as chillout background music (though doesn't have the gloomy atmosphere I had in mind). It reminds me a bit of Avrigus.

On 2/12/2023 at 11:24 PM, RTP said:

When you are after the music, you probably will struck gold in the Gothic realm. There are some with female voices. I don't know much Gothic (rather like the EBM), but maybe you like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QDRJlM11XA

Or maybe check out Ladytron. That's a quite good band!

Night Club aswell ... "Dear Enemy" ... awesome :wub: ... I think that might be the one you even like most...

Should also mention Fever Ray

For "metal / rock with female voice that sounds interesting" I can suggest you Closterkeller. Most of the songs are in polish language though.

Blutengel - The Princess, yeah I like this. I'll definitely check out more of their stuff (not really explored synth-pop stuff very much before).

Ladytron, too poppy for me I think.

Night Club are pretty cool as well, thanks for the suggestion.

Closterkeller is awesome metal! She's got a great voice. Will definitely be listening to more of that.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

ah metal

i wrote for several magazines (in dutch) for 15 years, wrote more than 1500 album reviews, visited a lot of concerts and did interviews with all the big bands.....metal always been part of my life, besides goa trance

next month i'm going to see napalm death again, with pig destroyer, wormrot en primitive man

i like 90's metal the most because of the fact that i like extreme metal the most: legendary death, black and doom bands made excellent albums that decade

just as goa trance, for me, the 90's were the best period  for metal with the most exciting music

in the 80's you did have legendary thrash acts and early death metal albums, but the 90's DAMN

three exemples of excellent metal albums, a death metal album, a black metal album and a doom classic

Death - Human

Satyricon - Volcano

My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans