The metal thread

Darkarbiter

I am on a nostalgic mood so here's my own capture, my own video posted on my YT channel that I took 28.12.2014, COB playing in my hometown :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ci2SPNxJHc

Great flyer for OP an HV. Fit's nicely with their stuff, I hope you'll have a blast :)

HV and OP were fantastic. I had a great night!

HV - Awesome voice from the singer (I was surprised with his perfect English and pronunciation, but he was born in the UK, so it makes sense), great sound quality, perfect execution of songs, much better than the record and they also had a violinist. It's nothing revolutionary but a great modern approach to Psychedelic folk rock especially with the keyboard and sound effects. It's exactly as they themselves describe their music: Forest mystic psychedelic rock, they truly created a mystical atmosphere and the dirtiness of the live sound added to this along with their improvisations. Both me and my fiancee fell in love with the apparently-psychopath-chubby-yet-sexy bassist (a girl with dreads) who in a very unusual way moved her body Asynchronously to her hands/fingers (which were playing the bass).

OP - Total full-on psychedelic mayhem, 1,5 hours of non-stop heavy riiffs, melodies and special effects. It mas mind-blowing, one of the best concerts I've been to (and I've been to hundreds), I've never heard anything like it. Like you put a keyboard to Messhugah or a harder, more psychedelic, more electronic Arcturus. 5 fairly average looking guys playing like madmen on Mushrooms.

HAIL FINLAND!!

• Like 2

Thanks for taking the time to post review, glad you had a blast! Speaking about OP, their last album is really amazing, i've been listening it a lot lately and hopefully one day they'll come somewhere near to experience it live :)

@Kai-Q - I like RC too, but I'm more into their recent discography :)

I've had the pleasure of seeing these guys live twice within the last month (the only live gigs they've played so far).

As they put it themselves, "crunchy and graceful alternative metal", with a healthy dose of nonstandard time signatures and elements that makes this proper "trance" (as in, the state of mind/being) music to me; I've been nothing short of mesmerized both times they've played. And with 3 guitarists the sound is nicely detailed.

So far they have one song on Soundcloud, and it's one of the 2 more easygoing songs they have:

Of course, hearing this played live vs listening to it at home, the difference is like night and day.

Also, funny thing is, I know 2 of the guys from the band, but had no idea they have a band like this until about a month ago :lol:

RC are obviously the Super Stars of the Greek metal scene (along with Septic Flesh). I've heard them numerous times live, they are great!

I would like to add Hail Spirit Noir, even they might seem unknown to general public, with already 3 albums under their belt they established themselves as leading psychedelic/prog black metal band out there. New album shouldn't be missed

personal highlights from previous two albums:

How the hell do you know "Hail spirit noir"??? I don't like them... I'm just very surprised!

I think it was 2-3 years ago, I stumbled on Pneuma and after that I feel in love with their sound, which is pretty much unique and likable. Reason? Dunno, perhaps I like greek black metal :)

We can go deeper in underground if you want :) Great release of Pantelis Giasafakis, latter more known by his work in DN.

• Like 1

New Metallica album should be out tomorrow, even they released music videos for almost every song from the new record made by different director and presented on different websites/music e-zines. That's neat idea and clever PR. It doesn't sound bad at all, some tracks are bit repetative but in overall I'm very much happy. I can say it's better than Death Magnetic and sound-wise it's more powerful. So far, the last track - Spit Out The Bone is the winner for my taste.

Most of the videos are now up on their official channel:

http://www.spin.com/2016/11/watch-metallicas-10-new-music-videos/

https://www.youtube.com/user/MetallicaTV/videos

Also, this video seems like a sort of tribute to... Mayhem? Not sure but the lead singer and black metal iconography reminds me on Dead.

• Like 1

I don't care about Metallica, now they are just making music to pay bills. It has nothing to do with honest music creation/inspiration.

A few hours ago I was at "High on Fire" (Matt Pike's of "Sleep"  fame band) it was good (nothing spectacular like the Finnish OP) but it was very reminiscent of Motorhead and I had a good time!

Talking about old School thrash metal.... next Monday it's time for the real thrash MASTERS: Testament!!!!!

I don't care about Metallica, now they are just making music to pay bills. It has nothing to do with honest music creation/inspiration.

A few hours ago I was at "High on Fire" (Matt Pike's of "Sleep"  fame band) it was good (nothing spectacular like the Finnish OP) but it was very reminiscent of Motorhead and I had a good time!

Talking about old School thrash metal.... next Monday it's time for the real thrash MASTERS: Testament!!!!!

HAIL!!!!

New Metallica album should be out tomorrow, even they released music videos for almost every song from the new record made by different director and presented on different websites/music e-zines. That's neat idea and clever PR. It doesn't sound bad at all, some tracks are bit repetative but in overall I'm very much happy. I can say it's better than Death Magnetic and sound-wise it's more powerful. So far, the last track - Spit Out The Bone is the winner for my taste.

Most of the videos are now up on their official channel:

http://www.spin.com/2016/11/watch-metallicas-10-new-music-videos/

https://www.youtube.com/user/MetallicaTV/videos

Also, this video seems like a sort of tribute to... Mayhem? Not sure but the lead singer and black metal iconography reminds me on Dead.

i get what you saying about metallica bro, very clever indeed, personally they no longer my taste

i may be showing my age here, but july 1983 changed music as we knew it, hit me like a brick when i bought that album

then later that year, around december i think, show no mercy came out, changed it again

and then the flood gates opened!

but who started this onslaught?????????

the inventors of extreme music.......

i

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong guys, by no means I consider new album to be among classics such as MOP, AJFA or RTL, but it has some nostalgia written all over it. As a fan of Metallica, I can say they delivered finally something that fans wanted for a long long time. Even it's not 100% thrash metal (and truth to be told, no one expected to be), they still have some of the best riffs around, with all due respect to other bands (and yes, I like Testament and Venom too).

Anyhow, fun video made to compare how the new music would sound if it was released on ...And Justice For All album. Great Pantera-like sound around 05:10 mark.