The curious case of Benjamin button

exotic

I'm quite surprised it didn't win the Oscar for just the concept. Whoever came up with it, deserves all the accolades because its true when man becomes old and frail he is like a child needing all the care and love that he can get. I was just amazed by the make up and cgi coz i never got to know when the latter was being used other than the part towards the end when he returns from India.

Other than that the movie explores the age-old theme of love but its just so absorbing the way it pans out. Age at the end of the day is just a number and love mustn't die because one is old and unattractive. You should do what your heart desires the fire of youth can be burning bright irrespective of the years that have clocked by. I just wished they had shown more of Benjamin as a kid; it was somehow too abrupt the end.

All in all a magical movie which left me mesmerized by the reverse aging concept.

This is by far one of the worst movies I've seen lately. Here's a shocker: the "reverse aging" thing they implemented does nothing at all to the plotline. We're left with a movie whose theme is "the life of benjamin button", which is a horribly boring life. Horrible CGI, Brad Pitt plays really, really bad compared to his best movies. Too long, boring, awful. :)

This is by far one of the worst movies I've seen lately. Here's a shocker: the "reverse aging" thing they implemented does nothing at all to the plotline. We're left with a movie whose theme is "the life of benjamin button", which is a horribly boring life. Horrible CGI, Brad Pitt plays really, really bad compared to his best movies. Too long, boring, awful. :)

I find CGI's to be the best thing in the film actually, but about everything else I agree with you. :rolleyes:

well to tell you the truth, watching the trailer never made me want to watch the movie, which is saying a LOT about the movie since usually trailers are done so well that even the most boring piece of crap looks like the movie of the year.

I've had a very strong aversion for F. Scott Fitzgerald ever since I was tantalized with discussing The Great Gatsby in never-ending English lessons. So this film is a nischt-nischt for me.

I've had a very strong aversion for F. Scott Fitzgerald ever since I was tantalized with discussing The Great Gatsby in never-ending English lessons. So this film is a nischt-nischt for me.

Funny how a few of those books manage to actually get liked by students, while the rest gets nothing but hatred. I did not graduate hating Fitzgerald,

I think it was more a mixture of slight boredom and admiration.

I haven't read the book, but I thought the idea was pretty novel. As for the actual flick, well it keeps my lady appeased and you have to compromise every now and again.

Was it not for her, I wouldn't have watched it, but once it was rolling it had it's moments... I don't think it was that bad.

Yeah, it is funny indeed ;) It had a lot to do with the classes though...I actually admire Fitzgeralds writing, he had great talent in evoking pictures, his metaphors are, simply put, the rocks. Our English classes, however, are terrible. For me, the level is just too low. I'd like to read some top notch English literature, but as the overall level is a lot lower, we keep reading insignificant (IMO) American prose. Alas... :)

well to tell you the truth, watching the trailer never made me want to watch the movie, which is saying a LOT about the movie since usually trailers are done so well that even the most boring piece of crap looks like the movie of the year.

+1

but eventually i did watch this movie because of the CGI - then i found the info how it was made and it is really amazing

on the other hand the plot was a bit boring - it was quite hard to watch it to the end.

Anyway it is not bad so 7/10

Yeah, it is funny indeed ;) It had a lot to do with the classes though...I actually admire Fitzgeralds writing, he had great talent in evoking pictures, his metaphors are, simply put, the rocks. Our English classes, however, are terrible. For me, the level is just too low. I'd like to read some top notch English literature, but as the overall level is a lot lower, we keep reading insignificant (IMO) American prose. Alas... :)

F. Scott is read in high school english in america, his only real masterpiece is The Sun Also Rises.

• 2 weeks later...

F. Scott is read in high school english in america, his only real masterpiece is The Sun Also Rises.

"The Sun Also Rises" is actually by Ernest Hemmingway, although they were friends.

I should read more of Fitzgerald's stuff. I've always liked & been more curious about Hemmingway's work though. I have almost all of his books & short stories, and all of them on audiobook as well. Hemmingway's gravesite is about 2 hours drive from where I live.

I actually really enjoyed "Benjamin Button" (the film) though. I didn't really notice the CGI. I thought the film had a nice depth of feeling to it even though it was a wandering simplistic plot.

One thing I'm getting really sick of, and I bitch (loudly) about every time I see a movie lately, is the really overt CGI that is taking over everything. Lately at the movies it's preview after preview of these, basically "cartoons for adults" is what I've been calling them. I'm getting sick of it. :angry:

• 2 months later...

Yep guys, don't let the concept of the reverse aging fool you. I was also blown away by the idea at first and thought "wow this is cool! I never imagined something like this!". But when the film ended, I stopped and thought about it: what are we left with after seeing it?

The answer? Not much, unfortunately...

I won't talk about the CGI (which are great) because this is not what I'm looking for in a film.

The guy grows younger and we follow his life as he encounters numerous people. OK, this is basically the basis for any "biography" film. What would have made this film highly original was if his reverse aging triggered different reactions, not yet existant emotions etc. But they only cover this aspect with the romance part, other than that the hero crosses his fellows as if he is just an ordinary guy. And even the romance is done quite badly. Sure, there is melancholy, sadness, but that is... predictable. After all, even when two people who grow older together and one of them dies the sadness is here. I want to see something else, something that only this situation can bring.

But no, in the end it is all flat. Flat as the acting of Brad Pitt.

I hated it. All those pathetic "life is like a box of chocolates" "Forrest Gump"-like words of wisdom had me on the verge of puking. Also, the love-story didn't work for me at all, and Cate Blanchett was awful. Especially the scenes at the hospital, when she was on her deathbed, I felt like strangling her.

Major disappointment.

+1

I feel dirty weeks after seeing it. All the characters were repulsive and the plot was pointless and boring. Brad Pitt has good characters sometimes so I was a little disappointed in this movie. I had zero desire to watch it and my instincts were healthy. I feared there could be nothing intelligent coming from the idea of reverse aging and I was correct.

Funny how this is 8.1/10 on imdb. It gets 2/10 from me.

The guy grows younger and we follow his life as he encounters numerous people. OK, this is basically the basis for any "biography" film. What would have made this film highly original was if his reverse aging triggered different reactions, not yet existant emotions etc. But they only cover this aspect with the romance part, other than that the hero crosses his fellows as if he is just an ordinary guy. And even the romance is done quite badly. Sure, there is melancholy, sadness, but that is... predictable. After all, even when two people who grow older together and one of them dies the sadness is here. I want to see something else, something that only this situation can bring.

But no, in the end it is all flat. Flat as the acting of Brad Pitt.

Exactly! This guy was aging in a reverse way, yet everyone around him acted like this is normal. WTF?

Plus ALL the support characters (the tattoo captain, the old guy who strucked by lightnings etc.) were pointless.

Pointless, pointless movie!

• 4 months later...

This is the worst of David Fincher's movies for me. Why did he choose to make this? And Cate Blanchett looks bad in it. She looks bad on Oprah too and I think Oprah feels it and thinks she's embarrassing. Same with Eric Bana when he was on her show. She didn't seem to like him at all, maybe thinking there was something wrong with him unlike the Americans she can feel proud of. I think it's me in Australia disturbing the Force... Eric Bana looked bad in Star Trek too didn't he. I thought he did. He looked essenceless and ordinary not like a proper Hollywood actor. I think they're ruining the business. I'm not doing it intentionally but it does give me a sense of satisfaction. Whatever.

I mean I would rathar do that than trying to make a name for myself in the social scene. It's a secretive boy thing I would rathar do. It makes me angry too that the social scene keeps things like sex from me. I'm having none of it and disturbing the Force and doing my own thing....

I also noticed how Star Wars episode 2 and 3 were something of an embarrassment to watch. I think that was me again and the actors noticing me on the forums. I really don't think the industry can recover from this...