Psy, a sub-category of... Psy?

ariScotle

OK everyone,

If you're like me, you have probably tried to organize and re-organize, and re-re-organize your music library

to get all your tunes in to nice little pockets so you can easily find everything.

Also, though -- if you're like me, you prolly run into the constant problem of categorizing the stuff

that is not directly NAILED by a certain genre.

Examples of the main categories (IMO)

Full-on

Darkpsy

Prog

Goa

SA/Dark-on

Suomi

Ambient

[and obviously these genres can have morning & night sections]

and so on and so on... my real trouble comes with stuff like old IM, or Eat Static, Hux Flux, S.M.I.L.E., Skazi (just to name a few)

We always see people using "Psy" or "Psytrance" as a way to label all the stuff that does not neatly fit elsewhere.

But WTF? How the hell does Psy always end up as a sub-category of itself?

My challenge to Psynewsers... come up with a fitting name to replace this horribly misplaced and poorly tagged sub-category.

We need a good catch-all -- something besides Psy or Psytrance.

Psy to me means all of it, the whole scene...

Anyway - I'm not saying I have the answer, but I know there are many brilliant minds on this forum and I'd love to see what you come up with.

Hit me...

and as always

PsyON

Psy belongs to Psy, that's right, but I see no problem in that. It's like water. There are all kinds of waters but "water" is the term that implicitly describes flat-unsalted-mineral-water.

So Psytrance is what gathers all styles of psychedelic techno music and it's also the most melodic music one could find between the Goa era and the FullOn era. One could call that EarlyFullOn-Goa if you want. But that's just semantic.

There used to be a classification here, although I don't agree with all, but the image disappeared. I'll ask Anoebis to bring it back.

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=43845

Long ago we wanted to do do something really cool called psynews 2 (or 3). It had a whole set of categories of music, and we'd scrated our heads to categorize the music.

We were really puzzled at the time on how to cateogrize Tales of the Inexpressible.

The only solution was to allow several categories for a given release or for a given artist.

For a day-to-day clasification on your harddisk, I agree this can be annoying. Personally I tend to stick to Goa, Minimal, Fullon, Prog, Dark, Ambient, Lounge, but I almost don't categorize on my computer. Too much work and I have better to do. I perfectly know what I want to listen to in the end and search for it.

On my shelves I just split cds by psy albums, psy compils, ambient albums, ambient compils, others, and each alphabetically.

I don't agree with people saying everything is a subset of psytrance. That word already has another meaning in my mind. If they want to create some word to describe goa trance + psytrance + psybient/chill then they should pick some word other than psytrance. Maybe the word psy can describe psytrance and psybient. I'm not really sure why, but people seem to think they should be grouped together.

IMO the term Psytrance is the perfect one to describe the whole scene, even Goa Trance.

After all IMO there are no visible boundaries between Goa and Psy. For me they are the same music, the only difference is that they belong to differents sub-genres.

The today's main subgenres (Goa, Full On, Prog, Suomi, Experimental, Darkpsy etc.) are pretty much ok and 90% of the whole Psytrance music belongs to them.

The rest 10%? I used to call it freestyle Psy, now I just call it plain Psytrance. Don't know, really.

Organization is overrated. A real man should never have any idea where the CD he is looking for actually is. :P

+1

and we talk about psychedelic music, arent we? well psytrance isnt the name, cause psy and trance make some psy trance, while chill out and psy is psychill

and what a stupid fuss about fuckin classification, come on, who cares if we call shpongle chill-out or psychill or fuckin mouchtsétsé, music is music, so i guess we call it music afterall

i really dont understand discussion about the genre. Even if we come to a BIG conclusion, finding the real term men, oh yeah, this is how we call it P**** what would it change seriously, whats would it change? the music would sound different?????????????

Even if we come to a BIG conclusion, finding the real term men, oh yeah, this is how we call it P**** what would it change seriously, whats would it change? the music would sound different?????????????

We naturally categorize things for our own efficiency. You could say the same thing about all our science and language and stuff, but the fact is that it does change something... us... and we go on to change music, the world, etc.

and what a stupid fuss about fuckin classification, come on, who cares if we call shpongle chill-out or psychill or fuckin mouchtsétsé, music is music

well, I care ;)

I'm a fan of lists, classifications and all that though, so I can understand if others don't share my views...

We naturally categorize things for our own efficiency. You could say the same thing about all our science and language and stuff, but the fact is that it does change something... us... and we go on to change music, the world, etc.

okay, but for science, its usefull!!!! and has to have classification lol, but for music, i dont see the need

I think the way forward for digital music should be a tag system that is common in many Web 2.0 applications such as Last.fm, blogs and image boards where you can use any number of tags for an item, like this:

http://www.last.fm/music/The+Killers

It is possible to assign multiple genres to a track in the the mp3 id tag for example but it doesn't get used much, and I don't know if WinAmp and iTunes can detect multiple genres. That "an item belongs to multiple categories" type of classification is not possible with files (well on Linux it might be) that you have to place on either this or that folder and obviously not with physical records.

For me, its Goa, Prog, Full on, Psychedelic, Dark, Experimental, Ambient/chill out.

Simple as that. For me a true psychelic trance sound that wouldnt be catergorized as full on or dark would be the glowing flame sound, just raw powerful psy trance, so something like that would be catergorized as psy trance separate than full on or dark psy.

Isn't it the same with rock music?

There's progressive rock, psychedelic rock, punk rock,... and "just" rock aswell.

Isn't it the same with rock music?

There's progressive rock, psychedelic rock, punk rock,... and "just" rock aswell.

I guess that would be accurate, but I don't listen to much rock at all. Call me close minded but I really don't give a fuck about any other type of music outside of the electronic realm. :rolleyes:

I used to organize everything in the genre's you named, but it turned out to be impossible... What about the cross-over albums, where do they go? Trold, is it FullOn or goa/psytrance? What is Kino Oko or the newest electrypnose?

Now I have two folders for psytrance related albums, "All psychedelics" and "PsyChill" thats all I need to know :)

• [music]

-- [ambient&psychill]

---- [artists]

---- [compilations]

-- [chillout&lounge]

-- [dark ambient]

---- [artists]

---- [compilations]

-- [new age]

-- [trance]

---- [acid]

---- [euro]

---- [oldschool]

---- [progressive]

---- [psychedelic]

------- [darkpsy]

--------- [artists]

--------- [compilations]

------- [full-on]

--------- [artists]

--------- [compilations]

------- [goa]

--------- [artists]

--------- [compilations]

------- [hardpsy]

--------- [artists]

--------- [compilations]

------- [psyprog]

--------- [artists]

--------- [compilations]

------- [psytech]

--------- [artists]

--------- [compilations]

------- [psytrance]

--------- [artists]

--------- [compilations]

---- [traditional]

• [misc]

---- [acid]

---- [breaks]

---- [dnb]

---- [idm]

---- [noise]

---- [pop]

There's also year categirization within some categories ([2009], [2008], [2007], ...).

That's the way I have it, the way I like it.

The today's main subgenres (Goa, Full On, Prog, Suomi, Experimental, Darkpsy etc.) are pretty much ok and 90% of the whole Psytrance music belongs to them.

But why calling them all "psytrance" when you can facilitate your library (and thus, its searchability) by bringing in more accurate classification?