Why they ruin discogs?

Ormion

Since it's not a psy orientated topic I put it here.

What the hell is happening at discogs?

First they started to credit the compilations to the compiler (as long his name appeared on the cover). :wank:

Next they made it edible to anyone. :wank:

But things are getting worse and worse.

Apparently now you must write artists names exactly as they appeared in the tracklist even with grammar errors (and then link that with the correct name).

Even if the error is more than obvious you must write it as it is.

For example instead of Astral Projection there is Astrl Projection then you must write like that!

It's an obvious error!!!!!! Jeez! What king of stupid ideas are these? Check out the GMS page http://www.discogs.com/artist/GMS

GMS, G.M.S, G.M.S., Gms, Growling Mad Scientints, Growling Mad Scientest, Growing Mad Scientists, Growling Mad Scientist.

The bold ones are errors not name variations!

A huge facepalm

Guest antic

True, but thankfully they also did something right: now all versions of single release can be grouped into one release, so for example in Cosmosis discography you've got only one Synergy, and can drill down to see all four versions (jewel case / digipack / promo and vinyl). This really makes it all much more transparent.

True, but thankfully they also did something right: now all versions of single release can be grouped into one release, so for example in Cosmosis discography you've got only one Synergy, and can drill down to see all four versions (jewel case / digipack / promo and vinyl). This really makes it all much more transparent.

true.. the only good thing happening there for a long while!

but the misspelling rule is real stupid, why not just at in the notes as before?! :( stupid

Lol... the site is run by the biggest morons ever.

I'm just waiting for someone else to enter the discography market. :unsure:

They added recommendations? Now they changed the whole design to some really ugly one? It's all shit geared towards their overpriced marketplace. Everything is going downhill there. I'm almost thankful I'm banned for say the site sucked.

but the misspelling rule is real stupid, why not just at in the notes as before?! :( stupid

Indeed. Otherwise it's just plain fucking annyoing. Did you ever see the suggestions they give when you misspell something? Terrible! Somehow they manage to never suggest something even close to what you were looking for. Goddamn them.

the automatic suggestions function in the search-textbox wasnt all that bad either :-)

but idd.. discogs is getting really piled up with non-sense-rules

also some new seller-rules i just heard

i price everything as cheap as possible, but i require a minimum order of 5 euro's

as i don't really fancy all the effort of packing and mailing for 1 or 2 lousy euros

seems this now is in violation to the sellers policy lol

if they really implemented this rule, they might as well change all the incorrect CAT#'s (due to having a consequent listing) back to what they actually are

example

take a peek at the label-listing structure at this point lol : http://www.discogs.com/label/Skan+Recordings

• 4 weeks later...

I havn't read the entire thread here, but I still think it's one of the best site for electronic music. I probably visit it every day. So don't give it too much shit, imo :)

Well I guess we give it shit out of love :P Since I have used this page a lot (and still do) and there is no real alternative to what it has to offer... well not to my knowledge anyways! But the problem is that it feels really bad when u see "improvements" turn the site worse, and not just once but many times! Better to keep something that work instead of adding an infinite number of non-sense rules :(

and I agree the suggestions in the search field (and google-style alternative spelling suggestions) have been positive improvements! :)

generally i love discogs, and of course i use it every day as well. but some things are really annoying. the whole marketplace system is as complicated as possible. "changed status to blabla...", this is all completely pointless and unclear. and of course the brilliant idea to name releases after the compiler. this is so stupid, i would really like to know their reason for this. did they give any reason? does anybody know?

generally i love discogs, and of course i use it every day as well. but some things are really annoying. the whole marketplace system is as complicated as possible. "changed status to blabla...", this is all completely pointless and unclear. and of course the brilliant idea to name releases after the compiler. this is so stupid, i would really like to know their reason for this. did they give any reason? does anybody know?

I would really love to know too. Worst idea ever!

Guest antic

I would really love to know too. Worst idea ever!

Well, in psytrance it's not that important, but I can imagine that for more mainstream electronic music (house, regular trance, techno) people tend to follow releases by certain DJs, because they can then expect it's in a certain style, and that way it's much easier to find it.

Still, it's stupid I agree and should have been worked around by enabling search on 'compiled-by' role or something.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate how that page doesn't show track lengths however. Means I have to click a lot more to see that information.

I hate how that page doesn't show track lengths however. Means I have to click a lot more to see that information.

Can't drop an example, but when there is different versions of an album, the track lenghts might varie, so .. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Just went to check out Deedrah on Discogs, and I saw one of the name variaties was 'Deedra', so it made me think of this topic and how some pointed out that they use wrong names etc. So I went to the album the 'Deedra' error was listed and changed it to 'Deedrah'. So now the name variant of Deedra is gone :D It was the Astral Projection - Ten album. - Does it mean that on the physical album there is a writing error with Deedra instead of Deedrah and I just changed it, or may it have been a human error when added to Discogs.

anyway, good night.

I think they include the errors because there is an error on the physical product. Not because it was entered the wrong way in the discogs database. But i could be mistaken.

That's true, but still doesn't make much sense.

I understand including all artist name variations you could find in physical products, but when there's a grammar error that is more than obvious (for example Astarl Projection) then it's both unnecessary and stupid. At least write a note or something not add it in the database.

Well I think I see both sides of the case. Say Mr. Shwiggswag, a person who is unknown to this music get's a CD from where ever called Astral Projection - Ten. He's never heard of them or the artists involved. He finds him self loving the track with Deedra, and decides to search it (by councidence he ends up on discogs to do this hehe). Now, since his physical product has the text/artist Deedra on it, for him it must be a pain to not find any information of this Deedra artist. Little did he know the artist name had an error and was supposed to spell Deedrah, not Deedra.

But since discogs got the Did You Mean suggestion, I reckon it shouldn't hold a problem anymore ..

So in that case it feels lame to have these errors like Astarl Projection present.

anyway, don't really care that much, just felt like getting involved::