Atmosphere- Lucy ford

Company Flow- Funcrusher plus

EL P- Fantastic damage

DJ Shadow- Entroducing...

Jeru The Damaja- The sun rises in the east

Boogie Down Productions- By all means necessary

Ice Cube- AmeriKKKa's most wanted

Common Sense- Resurrection

Hah! I knew my list was too tiny for someone not to add some more... :) Funny I never knew you also like hip hop!

Good stuff there on your list no doubt.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny I never knew you also like hip hop!

Every once in a whie I give something a spin. I like good sampling techniques, scratching and banging beats/complex beats, such as those produced by Dan The Automator, DJ Premier, The Bomb Squad, the vintage Marley Marl style...

I don't love it, but some of that music you gotta be def not to appreciate!

old skool hipidi hopidi...

nas / illmatic

wu-tang clan / enter the wu-tang

public enemy / it takes a nation of millions to hold us back

a tribe called quest / low end theory

Yeah baby. Some of my favorite alltime hiphop classics. Must suck to produce a debut like these...

Good list. Add to that:

Dr. Octagon- Dr. Octagonecologyst

Jeru The Damaja- The sun rises in the east

If we're gonna play it like that, I have quite some things to add too...

Mos Def - Black On Both Sides

Talib Kweli & Hi-Tek - Reflection Eternal - Train of Thought

Mos Def & Talib Kweli - Are Black Star

Pharoahe Monch - Internal Affairs

De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising

KRS One - KRS One

KRS One - Return of the Boom-Bap

Beastie Boys - Check Your Head

Beastie Boys - Ill Communication

Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded

The Fugees - The Score (used to be the best selling hip hop album ever, not so sure if it's still that way... essential nonetheless tho'!)

Cypress Hill - Temples of Boom

Cypress Hill - Black Sunday

Gang Starr - Step in the Arena

Dr. Dre - The Chronic

Fuck... I know a lot more, but don't have access to my cd collection right now... this might keep some of y'all hiphopheadz occupied. But seriously, if you don't know these and claim to love hiphop; shame on you!

While we're at it, anything interesting that came out in the last - say - seven years? Haven't bothered to dig through the piles of shit.

Holy crap, and how could I have forgotten these underground gems...:

Freestyle Fellowship- To whom it may concern (the finest west coast old school underground LP)

Aceyalone- A book of human language

Danja Mowf- Word of mowf

Black Moon- Enta da stage

Cannibal Ox- The cold vein (Snapihno, this is a heads up to your request, man!)

The Fugees - The Score (used to be the best selling hip hop album ever, not so sure if it's still that way... essential nonetheless tho'!)

Sadly, "Outkast - Speakerboxxx/ The Love Below" is the highest selling hip hop album of all time at 11 million copies.

Eminem's Slim Shady LP and Marshall Mathers LP both sold 10 million.

Freestyle Fellowship- To whom it may concern (the finest west coast old school underground LP)

@rino

for a tekno head kinda guy, you sure do have good taste in hip hop music

I used to love the stuff myself, could not get enough of the real mc's who had skill and contributed something new to the music

but lately all rap has just lost its flavor, the industry is really dead IMO and its having an effect on my ability to listen

even to the old stuff I loved because I have so soured to hip hop music

Nas - BIG - Jay - Em - Eric B & Rakim, Cube - Kane - Mobb Deep - Beasties - Gangstarr - Public Enemy

and all things Wu-Tang related (GZA - Method Man - RZA - Ghostface - Cappadonna - Sunz Of Man - Killarmy - Gravediggaz - Deck - Raekwon)

these are the top notch artists of all times (of course I prolly missed a few but you know)

All great stuff, but still - I'd rather listen to Psy, Techno (the real stuff, thanks rino) and old 70s progressive rock ala ELP, Genesis, King Crimson and Yes.

@rino

for a tekno head kinda guy, you sure do have good taste in hip hop music

I used to love the stuff myself, could not get enough of the real mc's who had skill and contributed something new to the music

but lately all rap has just lost its flavor, the industry is really dead IMO and its having an effect on my ability to listen

even to the old stuff I loved because I have so soured to hip hop music

Nas - BIG - Jay - Em - Eric B & Rakim, Cube - Kane - Mobb Deep - Beasties - Gangstarr - Public Enemy

and all things Wu-Tang related (GZA - Method Man - RZA - Ghostface - Cappadonna - Sunz Of Man - Killarmy - Gravediggaz - Deck - Raekwon)

these are the top notch artists of all times (of course I prolly missed a few but you know)

All great stuff, but still - I'd rather listen to Psy, Techno (the real stuff, thanks rino) and old 70s progressive rock ala ELP, Genesis, King Crimson and Yes.

and gentle giant! andjefferson airplane and jethro tull! and crosby still young and nash, takes time to get it, but once you get the mood, youll freeak out

Nice recommendations, guys. I'm downloading new (old) stuff as we speak. Nice. :)

[e] Freestyle Fellowship, tight rapping yo. I like. np: Danja Mowf. Kinda okay, not completely convinced yet.

What about these goodies?

DJ Format - Music for the Mature B-Boy

Dilated Peoples - The Platform

The Pharcyde - Labcabincalifornia

Digable Planets - Reachin' [A New Refutation of Time and Space]

High and Mighty - Homefield Advantage

Goddamn, I wish there were someone with modding powers around... this most definitely deserves a split!

I removed my recommendations because I don't want them to be in this topic anymore.

Why? Can it be possible that Steve Roach cannot flip dope punch lines over jacked James Brown loops? :drama:

For once he wasn't even in the list. I thought this was about electronic music. The thought that some of my favorite electronic pioneers like tangerine dream and vangelis have to share a topic with rap music was just too much for me... :lol::P

For once he wasn't even in the list. I thought this was about electronic music. The thought that some of my favorite electronic pioneers like tangerine dream and vangelis have to share a topic with rap music was just too much for me... :lol::P

I know, I was just toyin' around!

I actually quite like how this topic turned out - it made me undust some very, very dusty releases!

For the last few weeks, under the influence of this thread, I've played everything from vintage Depeche Mode, Kraftwerk's "Autobahn", Steve Reich's "6 Pianos", Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here", Gas, From Within, Raekwon's "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx"... and so forth.

I don't like most rap either, but it is electronic music.

here goes

Front 242- geography and no comment

Meat Beat Manifesto - Storm the Studio, Satyricon, Subliminal Sandwich

Jack Dangers - Hello Friends & Variaciones Espectrales

Orbital - everything really

Moby - everything is wrong

Alter Ego - alter ego, decoding the hacker myth

Loop Guru - duniya

Spring Heel Jack - 68 million shades...

Swayzak - himawari, route de la slack

Richard H Kirk - virtual state

Underworld - dubnobasswithmyheadman

Daft Punk - homework & discovery

Hardfloor - TB Resusitation, Respect, Homerun, and So What!

Kraftwerk - the mix

Trance Europe Express (two disk compilations) 2, 3, 4

Hearthouse: Axis of Vision

(Profile Records) Future House:the best of house music volume 4 (1993)

Rising High - Futurescape (rising high records)

Harthouse: Scorch the Sky (1,327 days)

Five Years of EyeQ music

no offense and with all respect, most of (read almost all) these recommendations are crap!!!!!!!! :drama:

I beg to differ. I think your statement is a lie. A lot of shallow talk and little to none contribution.

There is some great music listed in this thread. Far from that everything here suits my taste, but quite a few hip hop, electro, ambient, EBM and various other styles of electronic music have been recommended, and some people might find certain releases handy while further exploring music.

The only thing which really annoys me is that techno has been virtually completely neglected, but those who contacted me via PM know we more than corrected the eventual wrongs.

Anyways, I'll dig some more through my crates and see if I seek out some more lost gems, or something like that...

no offense and with all respect, most of (read almost all) these recommendations are crap!!!!!!!! :drama:

you must be kidding? :blink:

this whole topic is one big essential collection for any fan of electronica

...and why no d'n'b?

Goldie - Timeless - is one of the greatest releases of the scene

Photek - Solaris - not all d'n'b but some pretty wicked tunes in there

Ed Rush - Torque - puts your head off and plays soccer with it

and don't forget about LTJ Bukem - his Progression Sessions are fantastic

i'm really surprised that no one listens to PSYCHEDELIC rock, krautrock, post rock since they are much more similar to PSY music.

can't believe all you guyz are recommending is bunch of hiphop, rap, pop techno and new age music

if i want to follow the recommendation trend here i guess i should recommend Nick Warren, Above and Beyond and old Armin Van Buuren

i'm with bahamut here, i don't want to have some pioneers of krautrock and ambient in this thread

and for those who were discussing which hop hip artist has sold most, i think it's lil wayne! now go listen to that because it's dope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm really surprised that no one listens to PSYCHEDELIC rock, krautrock, post rock since they are much more similar to PSY music.

Yet again you miss the point.

I gave those recommendations because I thought it was fun to dive back in some long time over elementary school days. I could care less about MC-ing, west/east coast rap, whatever. Call it childhood nostalgia. Or whatever would make you feel good.

From my perspective, and the kind of electronics I'm into, your 'psychedelic' suggestions I quoted can walk with a tucked tail. Psy rock? WTF? I can't listen to that stuff after having spent 36 consecutive hours out partying, let alone be bothered with a home listening session. Spare me, please. OK?

Cut it with Van Buuren and all of that, go find comfort in the next T. Dream release instead. You ain't deep just 'cause you don't dig d'n'b and old school hip hop. The "your music isn't psy enough" aesthetic is out of place in this thread.

Keep the voice down, mate.

can't believe all you guyz are recommending is bunch of hiphop, rap, pop techno and new age music

Just post a list of albums you consider to be essentials.

What is the point telling us that we are somewhat limited in tastes or somethn'.

This is a mutual development of members who are interested.

I never thought of kraut-rock to be an essential. no offense.

As this thread was for electronic music only, here's the first ones to pop to mind (as records that everyone should hear):

Biosphere - Shenzhou

Brian Eno - Ambient 1: Music For Airports

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing

Future Sound Of London - Dead Cities

Goldie - Timeless

Harold Budd - The White Arcades

Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygene

Klaus Schulze - Mirage

Kraftwerk - Trans-Europe Express

Leftfield - Leftism

Massive Attack - Mezzanine

The Orb - U.F.Orb

Pan Sonic - Kulma

Portishead - Dummy

The Prodigy - Music For The Jilted Generation

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra

Tangerine Dream - Rubycon

Venetian Snares - printf("shiver in eternal darkness/n");

+

Pete Namlook & Klaus Schulze - The Dark Side Of The Moog 10 (hard to choose from the masterpieces)

For all kinds of music my list would be too long to write now :)

And people, don't diss rap (or any other genre). Every type of music has it's pearls and it's crap. Though some genres have more pearls, and some have more crap :)