Do you really believe in it?

Luminon

I agree and think I follow you in what you explain. I think this "mind expansion"-thing is an interresting phenomenon!

But the thing about being able to see auras around people... Is´nt that called love?? I mean, I have that kind of sensitivity to be able to see auras around people, but is it really because I listen to a special kind of music? Sounds strange to me...

The ability to see aura isn't love, it's the sense of sight, but the sight of astral or etheric body. And our consciousness is, what makes a bridge between these various bodies and our common, physical consciousness. That range of perception is called 'antahkarana'. And once the antahkarana is growing, it connects us to the true source of divine, unconditional love, which is called the soul. (or the Thinkeress, or Atma, etc.) The soul starts to infuse it's vehicle, which is the man or woman in incarnation.

You are very lucky to see auras. It must be very interesting - and probably also useful. I have seen an aura well only once and without colors. What I have, is the sensitivity of etheric body. I perceive my own aura, chakras and the energy flowing around. It doesn't have any connection to the music, but the music is a powerful psychedelic helper for mental focus, and focused mind is powerful.

The reason why people like us do listen to the psychedelic music is probably an intellectual interest. 40% of popular music is about love, dating, relationships, and mundane things, so I don't listen to it. We tend to be more contemplative, and thus we like a deep, thoughtful music which reflects our inner reality.

And about the drugs, i´m sure that they are "mind expanding" (if you want to call it that) in the short-run, in the moment you take them (and for a few hours), but I sometimes get the feeling that people here thinks the drugs "mind expands" them in the long run - for life... Am I wrong?

The problem with drugs is, that firstly, they bring the psychedelic experiences by violating the integrity of our bodies, there is a temporary, though long-termed damage on meridians and blocade of some mental mechanisms. For example, a person on head pills is absolutely useless for regression therapy. Secondly, they kick you into the astral world, but only to the lower parts of it and never higher. Which is not good, because there is a long way to the real worthy destination - the soul. You won't get to the soul through drugs, but through a correct meditation.

Firstly, drugs are very useful for breaking materialism. If someone is a hard-boiled materialist, a hallucinogen can shake his worldview and make him understand something. Secondly, drugs were useful in prehistory, when primitive people survived with astral clairvoyance. Later people gave up the astral sensitivity (it is today an anachronism) and now are mostly without any clairvoyance, or have a clairvoyance based on the contact with soul, which is reliable and powerful. The problem with astrality is, that without the light of the soul it's very emotional, glamouring, ever-changing world, which is based on illusion and distorting all information, mainly lower parts of it.

And about the drugs, i´m sure that they are "mind expanding" (if you want to call it that) in the short-run, in the moment you take them (and for a few hours), but I sometimes get the feeling that people here thinks the drugs "mind expands" them in the long run - for life... Am I wrong?

It's not the psychedelics, it's the person. Plenty of people do psychedelics for fun and have no "mind expansion" experiences. Things like that come from the way a person perceives their experiences and integrates them into their lives.

Mind expansion could refer to understanding.

But I suspect it's more just a "cool theme".

Anyone who claims otherwise has done too many drugs.

How do you think it became a 'theme' of any sort in the first place, if it did not have at least some validity to it?

Human experience is incredibly varied and is influenced by a wide range of things. Just because you have not experienced something does not make it less real or authentic. The opinions and reactions you have to the things in your life are shaped and filtered by the culture you live in, your personal history, your personal psychology and your personal biochemistry.

Two people having the same 'objective' experience will relate to it in different ways, to a greater or lesser degree. Is person A's perception of that experience not 'real' just because the majority of people relate better to person B's perception of that experience? From person C's standpoint, the experience is the same for both person A and person B, right?

So if someone has a personally meaningful experience that affects their life for any length of time, why does the validity of that experience depend on whether it was endogenously or exogenously induced? It doesn't. It is your perception and integration of your experiences that determines the validity of your experiences, not where the experiences originate from.

Also: "mind expansion" is one of those terms that is uselessly vague and undefinable, and therefore shouldn't be used, especially by people who haven't had the experiences that are supposedly described by the term "mind expansion".

And lastly: to use the term "drugs" in the way you have infers either a complete ignorance of psychoactive substances or a willful acceptance of societal convention which lumps all psychoactive chemicals under yet another uselessly vague term, and hence a willful denial of the inherent difference of experience these substances induce. To use one term to identify substances as experientially different as heroin, cocaine and LSD is laughable.

Guest D N H

I don't know if this issue can look funny or superfluous to some, but it is essential and fundamental, and of great importance for the existance of this musical/sound idiom.

A more than interesting topic but in a wrong thread.

Someone could suggest a new subforum to be added about spirituality and science/scientific theories, but this topic i think belongs to General discussions about Psytrance (rather Specific) plus top pinned.

Do you believe that if the scene's forefathers, juno reactor, x-dream, the infinity project, hallucinogen etc (or even earlier electronic/trance artists) had chosen other concepts and themes, or even names, for their musical creations would be the course and the evolution the same?

Could this be possible while creating this type of music?

Did the music specify the concept?

::

:.

Did those concepts choose/inspire the artists to be expressed through them in a certain way musically, experientially-understandingly???

Hi,

I don't think you can directly expand your consciousness very far through listening to music. Maybe if the music helps you meditate or study or something, then you can expand your consciousness while listening to it. But the music could just as easily interfere with your ability to do this.

That said, a lot of psy track titles toy with this theme and many others. I imagine that since many psy artists and listeners are more intelligent and learned they like to deal with more intelligent themes in their music. These are also often quite spiritual or mysterious themes, though I bet the majority don't actually believe in them, I find them a lot more interesting than rapping about the hood and so on.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I actually feel I know very little about many of the concepts that are batted around in Psy. I don't know much about the Hindu Gods, not really, and I don't know much about the conspiracies and the vibrations and the aliens and etc etc etc but what I do know and understand is that these things seem to be thrown in there because they create an air of wonder and intrigue since they are such off the wall, crazy, unknowable things. Can't say I neccessarily believe in them, but I do enjoy the tantalising energy that talking about them generally provokes.

That's more or less what I would say too.

I scored like 3 out of 17 ... I'm not a believer. I listen to the music mainly because I enjoy the sound and because I like to run to it. But I can't deny that I also like the air of mystery in some of the tracks. And I like to think about it and let my mind wander. But really believing I do only a little...

• 2 weeks later...